The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Northwestern vs SW Texas St Game on ESPN2 (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/8690-northwestern-vs-sw-texas-st-game-espn2.html)

alabamabluezebra Mon May 19, 2003 03:27pm

Did anyone see the Northwestern vs SW Texas St game on ESPN2 this weekend? It seem like SWTSU's pitcher Nicole Neuerburg was leaping five or six inches. Is this allowable in NCAA softball? There was no hole in front of the pitcher's plate.

Dakota Mon May 19, 2003 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Is this allowable in NCAA softball?
By the book, no. In practice, apparently, yes. :(

Dakota Mon May 19, 2003 03:43pm

Have any of you ever - <u>ever</u> - seen a crow hop or leap called in a Div I game? I haven't. :rolleyes:

Rachel Mon May 19, 2003 06:07pm

I noticed that too. We have pitchers here that do that too but it is never called. I would not have called her illegal. I wish fastpitch was on TV more often. I watch the game but I watch the umpires also their mechanics look better than the Baseball umps.

CecilOne Mon May 19, 2003 06:08pm

See my May 16th, 2003 12:59 PM #5 in an earlier thread "the crow hop".
While discussing her illegal pitches, a HS senior pitcher once told me she was practicing for college.

gohogs Tue May 20, 2003 11:09am

mechanics

I disagree with your comments on ncaa softball mechanics being better than baseball mechanics. I work both all though not conference affiliated. In my opinion most umpires that work in these televised games look to much like a robot and to me that looks fake. An umpire should be allowed to put their own personallity in their signal mechanics that is within reason.

Go Hogs

DanIn Tue May 20, 2003 11:51am

is this illegal?

Had a girl push off the plate and re-establish her pivot foot before the arm came down to deliver the pitch. Picture perfect crow-hop but without the actual hop. Pivot foot seemed to come strtaight away from plate and sometimes dragged like it should. Can you have a crow-hop without the actual hop? It was obvious she gained an advantage by pitching in front of the pitchers plate. dan

Andy Tue May 20, 2003 11:52am

Re: mechanics

Quote:

Originally posted by gohogs
I disagree with your comments on ncaa softball mechanics being better than baseball mechanics. I work both all though not conference affiliated. In my opinion most umpires that work in these televised games look to much like a robot and to me that looks fake. An umpire should be allowed to put their own personallity in their signal mechanics that is within reason.

Go Hogs

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. If you notice, there is room for some personality in softball umpires. Each umpire has their own variation of a called strike three or a sell out call, for example.

I will agree that some umpires look like robots, but then again, this isn't MLB, where the umpire is expected to be part of the show.

AlabamaBlue Tue May 20, 2003 12:07pm

DanIn, the key is that she pushes off from somewhere other than the rubber, not whether or not she actually hops.

Dakota Tue May 20, 2003 12:12pm

Re: is this illegal?

Quote:

Originally posted by DanIn
Can you have a crow-hop without the actual hop?
Yes. (See AlabamaBlue's answer).

DownTownTonyBrown Tue May 20, 2003 05:51pm

I saw this action also. It was more of a replant than a drag... and therefore illegal... if it were called.

Skahtboi Tue May 20, 2003 09:44pm

Re: Re: mechanics

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
...but then again, this isn't MLB, where the umpire is expected to be part of the show.
That's called "hitting the nail on the head!" However, I sure wouldn't mind that extra pay to be a "performer!"

Scott

Skahtboi Fri May 23, 2003 06:08pm

I am sitting here watching the Washington/Arizona game, and much to my shock and surprise, both pitchers are legal.

AlabamaBlue Fri May 23, 2003 08:03pm

What about Cat Osterman from Texas, she comes set with her hands together in front of her, then takes a sideways step with her pivot foot (you can see daylight, it's not a 'slide').

I don't know if that's illegal in NCAA or not, but I know it is in Dixie.

alabamabluezebra Sat May 24, 2003 09:20pm

How often do you see it called in Dixie?