The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a new viewer. Could someone explain McGriff's? Any other sites regarding softball rules interpretation??
~ dtm ~
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

McGriff's is a site for official to go and discuss rules interpretations...etc., much like this one. However, it was around back in the cyber dark-ages before there were any other forums that I know of for officials to go to. For many of us, it was where we first engaged in these lively online discussions about rules and rule interps! You can view it by going to http://www.gmcgriff.com.

Scott
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_donald_t
I'm a new viewer. Could someone explain McGriff's? Any other sites regarding softball rules interpretation??
~ dtm ~
Adding to what Scott said, McGriff's retains nearly all of the wild and woolly characteristics of the state of the net when it started.

Here is another softball umpire's board:
eteamz: Fastpitch Rules Board. The eteamz site also has huge variety of other sports resources.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_donald_t
~ dtm ~
Donald,

If you do visit McGriff's, you'll see a lot of weird things besides straight out interpretations that you'll get from this board or eteamz.
Beware the trolls on McGriff's too, because if you make one tiny error in a post, the trolls come out of the woodwork and will attack you like sharks after fresh fish.

Just my 2 Cents worth,

:>0
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Metro Atlanta ASA (retired)

Elaine:

Did you finally decide to quit the umpiring thing all together?

Scott
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Metro Atlanta ASA (retired)

Elaine:

Did you finally decide to quit the umpiring thing all together?

Scott
Hey Scott,

Yeah, I've not umpired since 2001 due to health reasons.
Now, that I'm feeling ok, I've decided I was a little burned out. Burned out from trying to juggle work, home,
DD Renee's ball schedule and umpiring. I really enjoy just being a fan now. I do keep up with the rule changes on ASA & NFHS as that was my area of expertise.
To me, once a Blue, always a Blue.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Elaine,

Just like there are no ex-Marines, there are no ex-umpires. You're just not on active duty (at the moment!)
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Elaine,

Just like there are no ex-Marines, there are no ex-umpires. You're just not on active duty (at the moment!)
Whoa! Define "umpire"?

I know of plenty of ex-umpires and I prefer they remain that way. You all know who I'm talking about and probably deal with them on a regular basis.

These are the folks who think the job is simple. Stand behind the plate, call ball, strike, fair, foul, safe and out, collect the money and go home.

They go to the clinics, and maybe a school. Purchase the minimal uniform to get by, but take very little care of it. What they do buy is second-rate equipment that was hanging on a display at the end of the aisle at a Dick's Sporting Goods store that will barely make it through the season. They only show up at meeting to get money or a schedule and the only time they see the inside of the rule book is when someone embarrasses them on the field.

After a year or two, if that long, the association cracks down and gives them a "get in line or get along" ultimatim that usually results in the retirement from the corps of blue.

Then you see them with teams as a coach or player, espousing the simplicity of it and telling teammates how they know the rules and the umpire working their game was too stupid to be there, etc. And when asked why they gave it up, there are a million and one excuses. I even heard one exclaim that it lacked challenge and something that boring wasn't worth the money.

Trust me, there are "ex-umpires" and many of whom I am damn glad to see in that category.

Old Wed May 14, 2003, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Elaine,

Whoa! Define "umpire"?

Trust me, there are "ex-umpires" and many of whom I am damn glad to see in that category.

Mike,
They aren't ex-umpires in the context of the little analogy I was making. They are better viewed as dishonorably discharged umpires. There are also "Marines" who are dishonorably discharged.

The "umpires" you describe were never umpires in who served with honor and pride in the profession. Therefore, in my analogy, they were never umpires in the first place.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

:EEK:

Thank you Dakota for clearing up the point. However, Mike is correct--but your analogy of dishonorably discharged was perfect!!

Mike, I hope you don't think I was one of those discharged u
umpires!! You know, I didn't start umpiring until I'd had 4 children and was 36 years old. It was hard for a female starting at that age and in 1986 here in Atlanta to
attain any recognition, but I worked hard.(Plus, I had a UIC that rode my ***, and I'm sure you know him--Charlie
Myers).I have always gotton along with Charlie and I count him as one of my friends, but did we ever have some arguements!! I can truly say though without him, I doubt I would have umpired 1 ASA National, much less 5. He and 4 other umpires were my teachers, friends and support: Cliff Browning, Lisa Miller (now deceased), and 2 ISF Modified Umpires, Ralph Miller (no relation) and Jack Couse. I can truly say that if Atlanta was still blessed with their style of umpiring, I probably would still be doing it. These days however, there are too many umpires that I would not take the field with as they need to be DD'd. Not to be snobbish, but if a old, overweight female can learn the RIGHT way to umpire, I think everyone else should too!!

Now, I'll get off my soapbox. Everyone, have a pleasant week!

Old Wed May 14, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[B]
Quote:
Elaine,

Whoa! Define "umpire"?
In my dictionary, those clowns Mike made reference to are not found under the definition of umpire. However, if you look under the word sycophant, there you will see their picture as well as a definition that describes them.

As a matter of fact, I was watching a so-called umpire last night between games with my partner on another field. The guy was calling 10U using one man mechanics (in theory). The only time he came out from behind the plate was to go into one of the dugouts for a drink of water.

Scott
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Elaine,

Whoa! Define "umpire"?

Mike,
They aren't ex-umpires in the context of the little analogy I was making. They are better viewed as dishonorably discharged umpires. There are also "Marines" who are dishonorably discharged.

The "umpires" you describe were never umpires in who served with honor and pride in the profession. Therefore, in my analogy, they were never umpires in the first place.
Okay, I'll buy that!

And, no, this was not directed toward anyone on this board.