The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

I hope some others saw this............

SAN FRANCISCO -- On Tuesday night, the Montreal Expos were leading the San Francisco Giants, 4-3, in the fifth inning when a most bizarre play occurred.

The Giants had the bases loaded with one out and Expos pitcher Dan Smith on the mound. Giants outfielder Barry Bonds came to the plate and hit a popup around home plate in fair territory. As the ball was in the air, home-plate umpire Jim Joyce called Bonds out on the infield fly rule, which meant that the force play was not in effect.

But the Expos didn't pay attention to the umpire. Catcher Michael Barrett lost the ball, while third baseman Fernando Tatis charged in to catch it. The ball dropped in front of home plate. Tatis grabbed the ball and tagged home plate while handing the ball to Barrett, who was also standing on the plate.

Joyce didn't make a call. In the meantime, second baseman Neifi Perez crept his way toward home, sneaking behind Barrett to touch the plate, and Joyce called him safe. The run tied the score at 4-4.

Tatis and Smith argued that Perez was out because of a force play, but Joyce ruled that Perez had to be tagged out. Out came a livid Frank Robinson, who told his players to get back on the field.

"The runners advance at their own risk. It's as simple as that," Robinson said. "The players out there didn't grasp or understand the situation and they didn't execute the play."

Said Barrett: "It was the right call and I was glad Frank came out. He yelled at me; it was good because it got us off the play. He said, 'Hey, it's an infield fly rule and let's go.' On that play, I thought the runner had to tag up. It was a learning experience. I'm glad we didn't get hurt by it more."

The Expos went on to win the game, 6-4, on a two-run home run by Vladimir Guerrero in the seventh inning.

"Bonds popped up to the infield. It was a little bit of a screwy play. But the run scored and we were able to weather the storm," Smith said. "We got [Jose] Cruz out [to end the inning]. I was trying to keep us in it. Vladdy came up with a big hit. That's the way we have been playing lately and I was glad to be able to do my part tonight."

On Wednesday morning, Robinson expressed disappointment that the players didn't know the basic rules.

"You expect your players to know the basic-type rules to where they can execute on the field when those things come up because we can't help them once they are out there," Robinson said. "[The infield fly] rule is one of the most basic things and that almost happens every day, so it's not some obscure rule that pops up once a year. You are here and you see it and you are involved in it almost every day.
Robinson also believes most of the players in the Major Leagues don't know the rules of the game. He said it doesn't help that the book isn't available in the minor or the Major League levels.

"We don't have it, I don't have it," Robinson said.

JOEL

Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Welcome back JOEL

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Robinson is undoubtedly correct. I have a several friends who played in the majors. They know a lot about how to play the game, but none has any pretensions about being an expert on the rules. If I needed to consult with someone about a rule, I wouldn't consider them good resources.

In fact, I would bet that a couple of them have never had a rule book in their hands.
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 10:32pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Udaman, Joel !
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue

On Wednesday morning, Robinson expressed disappointment that the players didn't know the basic rules.

"You expect your players to know the basic-type rules to where they can execute on the field when those things come up because we can't help them once they are out there," Robinson said. "[The infield fly] rule is one of the most basic things and that almost happens every day, so it's not some obscure rule that pops up once a year. You are here and you see it and you are involved in it almost every day.
Robinson also believes most of the players in the Major Leagues don't know the rules of the game. He said it doesn't help that the book isn't available in the minor or the Major League levels.

"We don't have it, I don't have it," Robinson said.

JOEL

If Robinson thinks he doesn't have a rule book, he needs to talk to someone in the front office. Not only are teams given a copy of the rule book, it isn't some small little think like we would carry. It is a large loose-leaf folder size document that includes everything.

I've always thought that it would be intelligent to assign someone on the staff as a "rules coach" to cover things like this for the team.

I'm glad he recognized the fact the umpire made the correct call and took control of his players instead of "acting out" his managerial position like many others do even when they know they are in the wrong.