The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New ASA Jackets available (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/85373-new-asa-jackets-available.html)

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:56pm

New ASA Jackets available

I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk.

The new jackets are here! The new jackets are here!

ASA Properties, Inc.

ASA! I'm somebody now! :D

okla21fan Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:59pm

Never have 'liked' the stripes. Call me a softball traditionalist, but what is wrong with plain navy?

(The upside is that in my region, there is rarely a need for a jacket in Championship Play) :D

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 810422)
Never have 'liked' the stripes. Call me a softball traditionalist, but what is wrong with plain navy?

(The upside is that in my region, there is rarely a need for a jacket in Championship Play) :D

Nothing's wrong with plain navy, but the old jackets looked like something out of the 80s. Not to mention the fact that they couldn't block a breeze, much less actual wind.

okla21fan Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 810423)
Nothing's wrong with plain navy, but the old jackets looked like something out of the 80s. Not to mention the fact that they couldn't block a breeze, much less actual wind.

I miss the 'satin' zipper jacket :D (can't believe Mrs Okla21fan threw mine out a few years ago)

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 810426)
I miss the 'satin' zipper jacket :D (can't believe Mrs Okla21fan threw mine out a few years ago)

Did it go well with your Elbeco shirt? :D

I still have my old Elbeco...

okla21fan Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 810432)
Did it go well with your Elbeco shirt? :D

I still have my old Elbeco...

still miss that front pocket too! :p

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 04, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 810435)
still miss that front pocket too! :p

You can always cut it off and duct tape it to your current shirt... :D

Skahtboi Wed Jan 04, 2012 02:57pm

The jacket I have that has been my favorite (and yes, it can keep you warm) is the no zip pullover from about 12 years ago or so.

I also still have some old Elbecos in the umpire closet.

MrRabbit Wed Jan 04, 2012 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 810420)

ASA Properties, Inc.

You have to be kidding, stripes and no full zippers!
Sorry but a lot of people do not like pullovers.
Also why don't they make a light jacket?

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jan 04, 2012 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRabbit (Post 810548)

I agree. I do not like pullovers and I do not wear one unless it is really cold and windy.

I like a zipper because temperatures change, inside and outside of the jacket and pullovers make little, if any, allowance to adjust.

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 04, 2012 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrRabbit (Post 810548)

They do make a light jacket. It's on the same page.

Unfortunately, it's too light to be of any use when it gets down to 35° with 20 MPH winds. Those other jackets aren't worth a darn.

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Jan 04, 2012 08:40pm

I liked the full fleece lined satin zippered jackets.........you had to hand wash them, but they were the best. I gave mine to a rookie several years back and replaced it with the poly lined jacket. It fit me better, but I missed the old look and feel. And yes.....I still have a few Elbecos in the closet. I can wear the poly lined jacket over all my gear where I had unfortunately outgrew my old satin..........:rolleyes:

Thats why I gave it up......but it was a good sporty windbreaker I could wear in an area where I don't need a ton of jackets.........:D

I never did buy the pullover.......but Scott's temperatures are much colder than we fare here.

Joel

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Jan 04, 2012 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 810422)

Yeah.....I have called States in Waco, Temple, Waxahachie and College Station.......way north of me......Regionals in Ft. Worth is frickin brutal.........:D

I know that we have more humidity here on the coast......but it is usually 5 degrees cooler.........;)

Joel

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Thu Jan 05, 2012 02:02pm

I still have and use the old 'diamond logo' full zip jacket I bought about a long time ago - still looks good and is comfortable - why change? Its waterproofed, and no one says a word. I wish ASA still made a sweater, but you really dont need that very much around here I guess - our leagues do no start until May. Besides, if its that chilly, I wear my hs sweater under my jacket! April can be chilly sometimes around here, so NYSSO has nice lined jackets like this:

http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/files/d_698.jpg,

and a nice warm sweater!

NCASAUmp Thu Feb 16, 2012 03:36pm

Just got my new jacket today. Is niiiiice.... :D

tcannizzo Thu Feb 16, 2012 04:17pm

I'm getting mine tonight. I hear the sleeves are on the short side.

NCASAUmp Thu Feb 16, 2012 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 824827)
I'm getting mine tonight. I hear the sleeves are on the short side.

A little, but not too bad. I wear an XL, and it fits pretty well.

3afan Fri Feb 17, 2012 07:21am

I love the look of the 'new' jacket, my HS assoc. is using them .... as mentioned before the sleeves are a little short on my XL

tcannizzo Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15am

Got mine last night. Just a tad short, but thank goodness I am not a knuckle-dragger.:D

NDblue Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:36pm

Do you guys in GA, TX or the Carolina's really need jackets, sweaters or even a long-sleeved shirt? Really? Does it even get cold enough for anything more than a t-shirt? :D When the season starts in May here, most years we still have snow piles in parking lots.

NCASAUmp Sat Feb 18, 2012 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 825433)
Do you guys in GA, TX or the Carolina's really need jackets, sweaters or even a long-sleeved shirt? Really? Does it even get cold enough for anything more than a t-shirt? :D When the season starts in May here, most years we still have snow piles in parking lots.

We start in March. And some nights, it gets into the 30s and 40s during the games. :D

CecilOne Sat Feb 18, 2012 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 810420)

ASA Properties, Inc.

I'm trying to make this the year of no new uniforms or equipment. :rolleyes:

tcannizzo Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:11pm

Gets plenty cold in Atlanta. Friendlies are starting now and we are in full swing by early-mid March. One of the local St Patricks Day Tournament is notorious for snow, sleet and wind.

April and May the days are pretty warm, but nights cool down a good bit.

argodad Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 825433)

Two HS games this past week. No jacket required, which is unusual for February in Pensacola. Of course, my cold tolerance is WAY lower than yours. :cool: