The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

old post search

searching for the thread (I thought it was about this time last year) concerning NFHS test question about a runner on first and a D#k situation (but less than two outs) and B/R is struck by F2s throw to first. It was a pretty lengthy and informative thread, but I cannot locate it.

and help finding this one?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
searching for the thread (I thought it was about this time last year) concerning NFHS test question about a runner on first and a D#k situation (but less than two outs) and B/R is struck by F2s throw to first. It was a pretty lengthy and informative thread, but I cannot locate it.

and help finding this one?
You sure it was just last year? I remember the one to which you are referring, but I think it was longer ago than last year.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You sure it was just last year? I remember the one to which you are referring, but I think it was longer ago than last year.
maybe so, I'll search back into 2010 too

Thanks for the help!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
maybe so, I'll search back into 2010 too

Thanks for the help!
I found at least four different threads dating from 2004 to 2010
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I found at least four different threads dating from 2004 to 2010
Still no luck on finding the thread I was looking for. (I need to work on my 'forum search skills'! key words don't seem to help either ) But I'll keep looking ......
Old Fri Jan 06, 2012, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Still no luck on finding the thread I was looking for. (I need to work on my 'forum search skills'! key words don't seem to help either ) But I'll keep looking ......
See if any of these is what you're seeking:

NFHS 3' Lane Presentation

3' running lane violation on BB?

NF Rule 8-2-5: Interference or not?

Running lane surprise ruling

ASA - running lane violation with a walk
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I can remember some discussions about this- may have been on a different forum. In a nutshell...

NFHS last year, about this time, issued their 2011 rule interpretations and points of emphasis. Published on their website and in their 2011 Preseason Guide was a sample play about a batter striking out, then trying to run to first when not allowed to (first base occupied, less than two outs).

The unfortunate thing was they published this play to illustrate a 2011 rule change about a retired runner continuing to run and interfering with the defense's opportunity to make an out. That they chose to illustrate this with an uncaught third strike play seemed to generate a lot of confusion.

In the sample play, the runner on first was trying to get back to the bag. The throw to retire that runner hit the retired batter, who had advanced toward first base. The runner on first was called out because of the interference by the retired batter.

The way the play was written and presented, many seemed to think that the out was for interference just because the retired batter advanced toward first base and drew a throw. That wasn't the case. Had the throw not hit he retired batter, or if the runner was not in jeopardy of being put out (for example, just standing on the base), then there would have been no interference.

The misconception many seemed to have was that umpire should call an out anytime a retired batter advanced toward first when not entitled to, whether the throw was interfered with or not, in effect creating an "automatic out" on the runner at first.

It was a case of NFHS modifying a rule (8-6-18), then illustrating the rule change with a play that brought in some other elements that seemed to cause more confusion than it cleared up.

Sound familiar? And, no, I couldn't find the old thread that talked about this, either.

Last edited by BretMan; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 11:30am.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Non-D3K Situation

The others were a little off the given topic. This may be a little closer.