The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Never give this much thought until last night. I was working the bases. A courtesy runner was used to run for the catcher. At the end of the inning, my partner comes up to me and asked if the catcher needs to report back in.
I told him no, that it is a given. Got to thinking about that on the ride home. Guess I am not really sure on that one. Hope I haven't had this wrong since 2000.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

You are right. The player being ran for does not need to check back in for defense - just return to his/her position.

In general, on the back of one of the line-up cards I lay out a table to keep track of each team's defensive and offensive charged conferences. Additionally, I write down the number of the coutesy runner, the number of the person he/she is running for, AND THE INNING that the CR was used.

Visitor Home
_______ _________
D | O D | O
| |
| |

3-12-4th

I write down the inning when a charged conference is made and as noted above Visitor's #3 is running for #12 in the 4th inning.

My table won't lay out worth a darn. The system won't parse my spaces correctly. Hopefully you get the idea - column for visitors with a Defense and Offense column and the same for the Home Team
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
I like that & may borrow/steal the idea of noting what the pitcher/catcher's number is that the CR is running for.

For charged conferences, I also note who the batter is at the time of the conference.

Steve M
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I also note who the batter is at the time of the conference.
Why?
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I also layout a grid on the back of the folded line up cards, that I keep in an old check book cover. I use two columns for visitor and home and a row for each inning.

In the square for each half inning I make notes: "C-5" is #5 running for the catcher, "P-15" is 15 running for the pitcher, DC and OC for the conferences, JW for jewelry warning, etc.

I don't record the batter that was at bat, but I could see where it might be useful should the coach ever want to question when they came out.

BTW, I also agree with the fact that the catcher and pitcher do not need to report back in after the CR has run for them.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
I also layout a grid on the back of the folded line up cards, that I keep in an old check book cover. I use two columns for visitor and home and a row for each inning.

In the square for each half inning I make notes: "C-5" is #5 running for the catcher, "P-15" is 15 running for the pitcher, DC and OC for the conferences, JW for jewelry warning, etc.

I don't record the batter that was at bat, but I could see where it might be useful should the coach ever want to question when they came out.

BTW, I also agree with the fact that the catcher and pitcher do not need to report back in after the CR has run for them.
Almost identical to the procedure I use. {also use old check book cover.}
The only thing I add is when game is in later innings and neither team has
scored, I list # of last batter for ITB purposes for those schools and
tournaments utilizing the ITB procedure to determine a winner.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I keep everything on the front of the lineup. That way, I know immediately who ran for when F1/F2 get on base again. I can also see at the same time if the suggested CR is already in the game because they are all on the front. CR's go in the same space as subs as "CR-20", right where subs for F1/F2 would be written. Conferences and warnings are just noted at the bottom of that team's lineup, along with home runs if I have to keep track of them.

Reentries are circled and "X-ed" when they are replaced a second time. The CR entry is "X-ed" when they become a sub.