The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Bases loades, 2 outs, Force play at home? for the third out (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/8367-bases-loades-2-outs-force-play-home-third-out.html)

chewbacca Tue Apr 22, 2003 09:58pm

situation.
Bases loaded and 2 outs. A ball was hit back to the pitcher, she throws the ball home. Is this a force out or does the catcher need to tag the runner?.. I know that this may seem trivial.. If this is a tag out instead of a force out, then what rule can I state?

blue Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:12pm

It appears to be a force situation to me.

Del-Blue Wed Apr 23, 2003 04:02am

It is a force out

whiskers_ump Wed Apr 23, 2003 06:03am

Agree with lblue and Bob,

Just a simple force out as with any situtation where the
runners have to advance. Simply touching the base, plate
in your situtation is sufficient.

glen

CecilOne Wed Apr 23, 2003 07:32am

Home is the same as any other base

Home is the same as any other base, except someone changes the score when a runner is safe. Doesn't matter how many outs, a force is a force. A catcher can also get the out by touching the plate after retrieving a dropped third strike (in rules where that applies).

WestMichiganBlue Wed Apr 23, 2003 08:06am

"I know that this may seem trivial. . ."

Its not trivial if you don't know and want our help.

A batter-runner going to 1B forces the runner on 1B to go to 2B, which forces that runner to 3B, which forces that runner to home. By definition, if the base is tagged before a runner being forced to that base reaches it, the runner is out. So, with bases loaded, you have four bases that the out play can be made by tagging the base.

Hope this helps.

WMB

greymule Wed Apr 23, 2003 03:12pm

OK. Force at home. F6 throws to F2, who scoops the low throw while standing on the plate. A half a moment later, the runner slides in and knocks the ball out of F2's glove. Out or safe?

CecilOne Wed Apr 23, 2003 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
OK. Force at home. F6 throws to F2, who scoops the low throw while standing on the plate. A half a moment later, the runner slides in and knocks the ball out of F2's glove. Out or safe?
If the catcher gets control in a hand or hands, it's an out. Is what you described interference (out), or are you saying both runner and ball arrive together as a wreck, with no control (safe)?

CecilOne Wed Apr 23, 2003 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue
"I know that this may seem trivial. . ." Its not trivial if you don't know and want our help. ... snip ...
Ditto. Nothing is trivial if you don't know.

greymule Wed Apr 23, 2003 03:25pm

Had the play last night. The catcher had control before the slide knocked the ball out. Out.

ASA specifically covers this play. This and similar plays are not so clearly defined in OBR.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 23, 2003 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
Had the play last night. The catcher had control before the slide knocked the ball out. Out.

ASA specifically covers this play. This and similar plays are not so clearly defined in OBR.

Whoa! Am I reading this correctly? Greymule is actually stating that the oft-ambiguous ASA rule book has something covered that OBR doesn't!?!?

Wow!

:)