The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Was paired up last night with a partner that I had gotten the impression was a decent umpire.

I have the plate, 11-12 year old game, and in the bottom of the first while the pitcher is warming up I see that she's sliding her pivot foot off the rubber about 4" and pushing off of the dirt. I point it out to my partner, call the coach over and explain to him to get it corrected.

Now we were told at the beginning of the season that illegal pitches were a POE this year. During the inning, the batter gets to a 3-2 count, next pitch is perfect and is called strike 3. The batter goes to the dugout and the next batter is stepping in to the box when my partner comes walking down the base line to tell me the pitch was illegal. Gah.

So, we get the girl back out of the dugout on on 1st base, other coach is wondering why it took so long for the call. So am I.

I explain to the partner that it's a delayed dead ball, and that when the action has stopped, she should hollar dead ball, illegal pitch. She says she's got it.

Little later, other team in the field. Runner on 3rd and a right-handed batter at the plate. She swings and hit the ball down into the dirt in front of the plate and runs to first. Runner stays at third. Next batter steps up, and folks in the stands are yelling "it hit her, blue". The coach asks if it hit her, and I ask my partner. She says yes, it hit her while she was still in the box. Gah!

So, bring the batter back and add a strike, partner swears up and down she's not supposed to call that unless I ask for help. I had no inclination whatsoever that the ball hit the batter.

Original team back out in the field later, don't remember the exact situation, but I think there was a strike pitched. We're ready for the next pitch when my partner yells, HEY BLUE. I look up at her and she's got her arm out to the side in the delayed dead ball signal, and she looks down at her own arm as if to say, "Can't you see this you dummy?". So I ask what she's got, she says "illegal pitch". GAH!

Well, that's my long-winded story, and the moral is, learn the freakin' mechanics.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

It's gonna be a long year bro!

My first game of the year last Saturday, my partner didn't know the rule for BOO, called foul balls immediately after they left the bat, and didn't know a legal pitch from an illegal one. Over the last few years, illegal pitches have been a POE for our association; however, over 75% of our association will not call illegal pitches. I'm still surprised about the number of umpires that still allow girls to play with pierced earrings. After my youngest daughter's game when shaking hands with the other team, I noticed at least 6 girls with earrings in. These are a few issues that drove Jesse to the edge this year. He was tired of catching hell about calling illegal pitches, et al.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Wink Ahh the joys of teamwork

I made some comments in another thread about getting calls right....

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=8120

Perhaps I need to add some words about getting the calls right AT THE RIGHT TIME.

It's tough to love a partner that gets the calls right... at the wrong time... and you end up with egg on your face for their poor timing.

Next time perhaps she will have the plate and you can display the proper mechanics for the bases. Share your knowledge with your partners - make them better.

The rule book (Rule 6-4-6 Note) says that the base ump shall call an illegal pitch so that the nearest fielder shall hear it. THIS IS THE MINIMUM VOLUME. I would ask my partners to sound-off so I can hear it behind the plate that way I don't get the sarcastic, you-are-a-dope look 30 seconds too late.

It would be good to start your discussions with her that she did a good job by making the call and that you have had many partners that would have incorrectly passed on the call. Next time however, make sure that I (the plate ump) know about your call sooner, immediately, if possible.

Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Where should rookies start?

Changing the tack of this thread just a bit, where is the best place for rookies to start, plate or bases?

IMO, calling the plate is much easier for a rookie to do tolerably well in his first game without completely embarassing himself, plus you get to provide coaching without making both of you look foolish. In addition, you get to demonstrate proper base mechanics and timing.

As I said, JMHO.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Next time perhaps she will have the plate and you can display the proper mechanics for the bases. Share your knowledge with your partners - make them better"

This particular umpire doesn't work the plate...

As far as where it's best to start, I think that's a tough one. I personally think it's best to put a new ump with a crew of 2 in a practice game and they can try both positions with someone nearby to train them.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
"Next time perhaps she will have the plate and you can display the proper mechanics for the bases. Share your knowledge with your partners - make them better"

This particular umpire doesn't work the plate...
Then why is she working at all?

Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Good question Dakota.

I've never really thought about it. The plate is obviously considered the more important position. However, calls on the bases tend to stand out more than missing a strike or calling one in the dirt a strike.

I think you may have a good point. Perhaps the best place to start is behind the dish. It immediately involves you on a bigger level and definitely gives you a grander perspective of the game. And the rookie is not alone he has a veteran to assist on anything challenging... which there will undoubtedly be something to challenge him.

I generally let them choose their position in any game that is non-conference. Rarely do I have one choose to work the plate. Timidity.

My next rook is going behind the dish. Bring your gear.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down DBU

We have had a couple of old timers with bad knees self-appoint themselves as the Designated Base Umpire. They were gone shortly - not as in dead, but retired.

Is this lady a new umpire that just hasn't committed herself or hasn't purchased the equipment? It isn't right. She is missing some of the most exciting parts of the game... and apparently not doing a good job at the field ump part.

I can only say if she has the gumption to be on the field she likely only needs some encouragement to get behind the plate. But, if she has copped an attitude then she likely needs to quit.

Independent of what happened during the game, she was still your partner and deserves your respect as best you can give it. I doubt she was trying to show you up unless you did something that she took as disrespectful toward herself.

Sounds like someone else thought she was doing well. Perhaps she just needs your encouragement. Good luck.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know why she doesn't work the plate. She's older, in her 50s or so. As far as I know, she's been in the business much longer than I have.

A couple things that may be behind the problem: She mostly works young coach-pitch games. And when she does work the older games, it's with her godson (I think that's the relation) who was a rookie last year.

Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

I echo Mike's question...why is she working at all?

There needs to be parity in any partnership. I want to work on my field mechanics as much as I want to work on my plate mechanics, so that I can do both equally. It chaps me when I keep drawing partners who for whatever reason always prefer to be in the field. Yes...I prefer the plate. More goes on there. But I also want some time in the field!

Scott
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I agree, I agree, and I wouldn't want a partner that is that timid. But I also know there have been games where I was dying for someone to just call 2nd base, but I think this topic has finished convincing me that "anyone" is a bad wish. I've had more games that became a problem because of a bad partner than when I've worked alone.
I get enough turns on the bases to keep up my mechanics, but I did ask for bases once because I had been moving furniture all day.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Severe shortage

AlabamaBlue and I call in the same association. We are experiencing a severe shortage of umpires due to many factors including high school softball. Games on Monday and Tuesday were completely rained out which cause many makeup games to be scheduled Thursday and Friday. Many of our current umpires have 3 years or less experience. We also have our share of umpires that cannot call behind the plate due to health issues. Since our association exclusively umpires Dixie softball, we have many opportunities for umpires to call teeball or coach pitch games but the excessive rainouts have caused some umpires to be place in higher age group games.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
I don't know why she doesn't work the plate. She's older, in her 50s or so. .

THAT IS NOT OLD!!!!!

If it is, there are several of us oldtimers that can do several plate games a day.

Roger Greene
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa there

I said OLDER.

I am 24, 50 is Older than me

Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Re: Severe shortage

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
AlabamaBlue and I call in the same association. We are experiencing a severe shortage of umpires due to many factors including high school softball. ... snip ... Since our association exclusively umpires Dixie softball, ... snip ...
Buy me a plane ticket, preferably round trip (17 years, no health issues but prefer max of 28 plate innings per day).
What is "Dixie" softball?