The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

need help again

Just a parent to lazy to read the rules and am looking for opinions.

A bunt to the first base side, girl was called out for running in fair territory. She didn't interfear with the throw or catch. Just called her out for being in fair territory. It was USSSA with single first base.

We had a different crew the next day. D3K, girl gets hit in the back running to first. I'm not 100% sure where she was running at, lets assume she was in foul ground. PU called her out for interfearence.

Both good calls? would it have matter where the girl was running on the D3K?

Oh, and not to trouble you all even more...is the gorrila towel legal in all orgs.? Pretty sure its fine in ASA, not sure of the rest.

Thanks.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg21001 View Post

Oh, and not to trouble you all even more...is the gorrila towel legal in all orgs.? Pretty sure its fine in ASA, not sure of the rest.

Thanks.
Whats a gorilla towel?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

My opinion is that this is probably the number one problem in youth sports officiating....
Quote:
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

i guess its better then a coach to lazy to read the rule book. I don't claim to know the rules thats why I am here asking for your take on these situations.

the gorilla towel is a sticky towel a pitcher would use to keep her hands dry.

Sorry if I inconvinence you all.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

And we wonder why our numbers are down?

C'mon, guys... No reason to be hostile towards this person.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

A bunt to the first base side, girl was called out for running in fair territory. She didn't interfear with the throw or catch. Just called her out for being in fair territory. It was USSSA with single first base.
By your description, the call was wrong. For interference in this situation, the runner must interfere with the fielder at 1B's opportunity to receive a throw.

Quote:
We had a different crew the next day. D3K, girl gets hit in the back running to first. I'm not 100% sure where she was running at, lets assume she was in foul ground. PU called her out for interfearence.

Both good calls? would it have matter where the girl was running on the D3K?
If she is is running outside the running lane, good call. If she is in the running lane, no interference.

Quote:

Thanks.
Don't know about the gorilla towel. Does the pitcher tuck it in her waistband? Leave it on the ground? Use it in the dugout?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Both calls likely wrong (2nd depends on how far foul she was - she has to run in the lane, if she interferes with a throw while outside the lane it's interference).

So what happened when your properly informed coach who HAS read the rules protested the calls?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
My opinion is that this is probably the number one problem in youth sports officiating....
No, he gets compliments for asking, instead of just sulking or mouthing off.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the replys. I did figure they were both wrong..but I was sure. I know the coach went out and talked to the ump on both times. No protest on either call.

now, i afraid to ask this question...if the coach did protest the call(s) and the protest was uphead, what would have been the out come?

http://www.gorillagold.com/index.htm
heres the towel i'm talking about. legal in ASA. The pitcher where tuck it in their pants, in back. My DD has one...sure makes your hand tacky. she loves it.

Thanks.

Last edited by greg21001; Mon Oct 17, 2011 at 10:34am. Reason: put in link
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
now, i afraid to ask this question...if the coach did protest the call(s) and the protest was uphead, what would have been the out come?
If a coach protests a call ... in most places, the scorekeeper merely notes the situation at the moment of the protest and you move on. Then, after the game and assuming the protester still wants to protest (maybe they won anyway), the protest committee would decide what the proper ruling should have been - and then the game restarts from the moment of the incorrect ruling - with that ruling corrected.

In some settings (usually tourney, but I've worked a league that handled protests like this), protests are handled on site, games stopped until ruled upon.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gorilla Gold
heres the towel i'm talking about. legal in ASA. The pitcher where tuck it in their pants, in back. My DD has one...sure makes your hand tacky. she loves it.

Thanks.
Why do you think it is legal in ASA? There are specific rules concerning this which includes a published list of approved drying agents for ASA. Unfortunately, I cannot find a published list, so it may be, but I would like to know where the pitcher keeps the towel. Rule book says it is to be kept in the pitcher's pocket. Don't know how that would work with its tacky nature.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Gorilla Gold - History