The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Fed JV game last night. I think that I got hit more in this game than any other I've done. I got hit at least 10 times, mostly by foul balls. On one at-bat, I got hit by three pitches in a row! Foul ball, wild pitch that skipped by the catcher, and another foul ball. I was wearing all the equipment, but these balls always seemed to find the unprotected spots.

Just got me wondering how many times in a game has anybody else got hit.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Getting hit

The event that finally convinced me to buy plate shoes was when a softball pitcher that threw fairly hard hit me in the left big toe three times, twice in two pitches. Her coach told her, "if you keep hitting that umpire, you're never going to get any calls your way!"

I laughed, then said "thank you!" to the coach.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

None Yet However, we have only worked College Ball so far(about 20 games each). Our 4 High School dates are later this month.

Knocking on wood right now.

Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I'm 6'3"--- 270---- a big target !!
I work in the slot and LOVE a good catcher !!!
A good pitcher/catcher combo will make you
feel comfotable even when the catcher sets
up outside for a pitch on the corner.
I hate left handed batters and especially the
lefty slap hitters !
I get hit-- it is annoying--- but gear up folks !!!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I've gotten nailed 3 times this year, 2 in college games and today in a high school game. The first one hit just right and broke open the snaps that hold my throat guard on and spun my mask with me feeling almost none of the impact. The second brings this thought to mind - when you use a banana cup, make sure it is in right. The second one got me really square in the cup. The third was a pitch that got my forearm after skipping off the ground & the catcher. I use a double-wide stance in the slot and set up fairly high. I use all the gear, all the time, and when I get hit am awfully glad I've got it on.

Steve M
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Red face

A new one for me yesterday, the inside of my left ankle on a wild pitch to a right-handed batter. I think I must have turned my foot out a little instead of pointing straight forward. Good thing my shinguards wrap around. One of many yesterday, but the only one that hurt.
The day before, a catcher caught a bat in the mouth when, going for a foul ball, she got her mask off just as the bat bounced off the plate.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Yesterday I was hit three times doing a HS Var game. Two off protected places, the third off my left fore arm. Day before, I was hit in the left hand, knocked my clicker,oopps
Indicator (sorry Mike) out of my hand, and took an inning or so to work it right again. I've been hit probably more this year, than in any other year I can remember. These HS catchers better start catching the ball, or I'll get out of the slot, and hide behind them.
NIF
Old Sun Apr 06, 2003, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

The most I have been hit in one game this year has been three times, twice in unprotected spots. (Knuckles and thigh). The tough thing about the shot to the thigh was that I already had a bruise there from a previous shot just days earlier.

Last weekend I had something happen to me that I have never had happen before. Left handed batter up, and a future D1 pitcher pitching. The batter fouls the ball off right into my right knee. It hit so hard that it literally knocked my knee straight causing me to lose my balance. (I can hear the laughter now.) If that weren't bad enough, i actually suffered swelling of the knee and a big bruise, even though I was wearing my shinguards, which are more than adequate in the protection that they provide my knees.

Scott
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I knew that should not have said anything......This weekend......Once in the shin guards, once in the chest and once in the cup(Last one dropped me for a little while).

Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Small play on words, but guess I am lucky, "hitless so far."

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Multiple hits, one pitch

Had a strange one Friday night. Hit my left toe (thank God for plate shoes), inside left thigh, rang my bell, inside right thigh, and gone....

Haven't seen a ricochet quite like that before.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

The number of bruises is increasing. Thank God for protective equipment... good catchers are wonderful too!

Yesterday, had a baseball pitch go off the batter's helmet and into my mask... left the mask hanging from my ear.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

First game, boys JV, foul tip right off of the right collar bone....%&^%$#%&&%!!! New West Vest Platnum showed up the next day, since then half a dozen or so direct shots to the chest and shoulders (baseball and fastpitch) and no bumps or bruises, best $140 I have spent yet!! Oh ya...2 weeks for the collar bone pain to go away.
Jeff