The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Games Rained out. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/77807-games-rained-out.html)

ontheway Fri Aug 12, 2011 01:54am

Games Rained out.

Ok Tonight I almost Lost my cool with a player who began cursing at me.....for your info we have been instructed that our park manager will come to the field with instructions to stop play if need be for weather.

Here is the situation........

Bases loaded,bottom of 2nd inning.

Batter takes position in the Box, I see our manager coming over from the office giving the "slashing throat gesture" indicating that we stop play.
I'm the BU and see the boss man coming plate umpire cannot see this.
I immediatley call "Time!" and start motioning for the players to seek shelter.

as I'm walking towards His dugout to head for the hills he chose some salty words to describe me and complain about us stopping the game with Him(considered there best hitter) at the plate with no outs bases loaded.

I didnt say anything. My questions are 1. could I have ejected him even though the game has stopped? would he Not be allowed to re-enter at a later time? 2. we were in the bottom of the 2nd as stated above, these games have been re-scheduled, so will we resume the game from where it was stopped or start a new game (like the Boss said we would)

As Always Thanks for comments and advice

azbigdawg Fri Aug 12, 2011 02:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 780074)
Ok Tonight I almost Lost my cool with a player who began cursing at me.....for your info we have been instructed that our park manager will come to the field with instructions to stop play if need be for weather.

Here is the situation........

Bases loaded,bottom of 2nd inning.

Batter takes position in the Box, I see our manager coming over from the office giving the "slashing throat gesture" indicating that we stop play.
I'm the BU and see the boss man coming plate umpire cannot see this.
I immediatley call "Time!" and start motioning for the players to seek shelter.

as I'm walking towards His dugout to head for the hills he chose some salty words to describe me and complain about us stopping the game with Him(considered there best hitter) at the plate with no outs bases loaded.

I didnt say anything. My questions are 1. could I have ejected him even though the game has stopped? would he Not be allowed to re-enter at a later time? 2. we were in the bottom of the 2nd as stated above, these games have been re-scheduled, so will we resume the game from where it was stopped or start a new game (like the Boss said we would)

As Always Thanks for comments and advice

Unless people talking to you like that turns you on..... Dump him. If you don't it will just make him that much harder to deal with next time....

Gulf Coast Blue Fri Aug 12, 2011 03:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 780087)
Unless people talking to you like that turns you on..... Dump him. If you don't it will just make him that much harder to deal with next time....

Agreed.......if he got personal and met your ejection meter........buh bye..........

And he is gone for the remainder of that contest.

Joel

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 12, 2011 06:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 780074)

I didnt say anything. My questions are 1. could I have ejected him even though the game has stopped?

Were you still in the vicinity of the field and the comments a direct association with the game you were working? Yeppers.

Quote:

would he Not be allowed to re-enter at a later time?
Officially? No. Could the league change that? Sure, but I wouldn't be the umpire on the field.

umpirebob71 Fri Aug 12, 2011 09:56am

Keep in mind that just because the game has stopped your capacity as an umpire has not.