The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   correcting field measurement distances (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/74846-correcting-field-measurement-distances.html)

shipwreck Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:52am

correcting field measurement distances

I was having a discussion a few days ago. It came up about when a distance such as distances between bases, pitching distances incorrect etc. were discovered it should be corrected immediately. Can anyone tell me what ruleset a few years ago didn't have us correct the error until the inning was over. It seems like it was NCAA but I am not sure. If you know what ruleset that was and approximate year it changed, it would help me settle a disagreement. Thanks, Dave

argodad Sun Jul 17, 2011 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 773017)
I was having a discussion a few days ago. It came up about when a distance such as distances between bases, pitching distances incorrect etc. were discovered it should be corrected immediately. Can anyone tell me what ruleset a few years ago didn't have us correct the error until the inning was over. It seems like it was NCAA but I am not sure. If you know what ruleset that was and approximate year it changed, it would help me settle a disagreement. Thanks, Dave

If memory serves (it doesn't always), NFHS corrected at the end of an inning. Changed approximately 2004??

7in60 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 773125)
If memory serves (it doesn't always), NFHS corrected at the end of an inning. Changed approximately 2004??

ETA: for Softball Canada

For moving a base, do it at the end of an inning.

If the pitching distance is incorrect, especially if it is too short, I would consult with the coaches and urge them to agree to do it immediately for safety's sake.

shipwreck Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60 (Post 773146)
For moving a base, do it at the end of an inning.

If the pitching distance is incorrect, especially if it is too short, I would consult with the coaches and urge them to agree to do it immediately for safety's sake.

Speaking NFHS for sure and I believe most if not all rulesets, you are incorrect on both of your statements. Coaches have no say whatsoever in these matters.
NFHS rule 1-1-9 states "once a game has started, if it is discovered by or brought to the attention of the umpire that the pitching distance, base distances or batter's boxes are incorrect, the correction shall be made immediately." Dave

7in60 Sun Jul 17, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 773161)
Speaking NFHS for sure and I believe most if not all rulesets, you are incorrect on both of your statements. Coaches have no say whatsoever in these matters.
NFHS rule 1-1-9 states "once a game has started, if it is discovered by or brought to the attention of the umpire that the pitching distance, base distances or batter's boxes are incorrect, the correction shall be made immediately." Dave

Interesting. The Softball Canada rulebook definitely states that base distances/positions are corrected at the end of the inning.

HugoTafurst Sun Jul 17, 2011 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 773161)

Note, The quote you are commenting on is from softball Canada

shipwreck Sun Jul 17, 2011 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 773180)
Note, The quote you are commenting on is from softball Canada

Who are you talking to on this? You have me quoted, but my rule book isn't from Canada. You must be talking to the other poster. Dave

HugoTafurst Sun Jul 17, 2011 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 773197)
Who are you talking to on this? You have me quoted, but my rule book isn't from Canada. You must be talking to the other poster. Dave

No I was responding to you because you had quoted him.... so when you said

"Speaking NFHS for sure and I believe most if not all rulesets, you are incorrect on both of your statements."

but didin't include the quote that he was talking Canada, I thought I should mention it...;)

shipwreck Sun Jul 17, 2011 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 773220)
No I was responding to you because you had quoted him.... so when you said

"Speaking NFHS for sure and I believe most if not all rulesets, you are incorrect on both of your statements."

but didin't include the quote that he was talking Canada, I thought I should mention it...;)

Ahh!! I got it now. Sorry. Dave