The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What Do You Have? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/72731-what-do-you-have.html)

BretMan Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40pm

What Do You Have?

A situation blatantly ripped off from another forum...

One out. R1 on third, R2 on second. Batted ground ball is fielded by F6. In fielding the ball, F6 must move close to second base, such that second base is directly in-line with him and first base.

R2 never leaves the bag and is not attempting to advance. As F6 attempts to throw out the batter-runner at first, R2, while still standing on the base, raises his arms over his head. This blocks F6 from having a clear throw to first. F6 has to double-pump and adjust his position to get off the throw. By the time he does, it is too late to retire the batter-runner at first base.

You, as the umpire, judge that had R2 not raised his hands F6 would of had a clear chance to retire the batter-runner (ie: you judge that R2 has committed interference).

Let's forget about R1 for a second. He either crossed the plate before or after the interference happened.

What about R2 and the batter-runner? What do you have?

Gulf Coast Blue Sun Jun 19, 2011 02:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 766627)
A situation blatantly ripped off from another forum...

One out. R1 on third, R2 on second. Batted ground ball is fielded by F6. In fielding the ball, F6 must move close to second base, such that second base is directly in-line with him and first base.

R2 never leaves the bag and is not attempting to advance. As F6 attempts to throw out the batter-runner at first, R2, while still standing on the base, raises his arms over his head. This blocks F6 from having a clear throw to first. F6 has to double-pump and adjust his position to get off the throw. By the time he does, it is too late to retire the batter-runner at first base.

You, as the umpire, judge that had R2 not raised his hands F6 would of had a clear chance to retire the batter-runner (ie: you judge that R2 has committed interference).

Let's forget about R1 for a second. He either crossed the plate before or after the interference happened.

What about R2 and the batter-runner? What do you have?

I have R2 out for interference and the BR would get first. You cannot say that R2 prevented a double play as there was no 2nd out to be had. F6 was trying for one out only so I am only getting one out on this play.

I would either allow the run to score or place him back on third based on his position at the time of the interference.

Joel

DBull Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 766677)

I would either allow the run to score ....
Joel

Don't do that.

Gulf Coast Blue Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBull (Post 766762)
Don't do that.

Please explain.......runners are place at the TOI, not TOP.

Joel

DBull Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 766763)
Please explain.......runners are place at the TOI, not TOP.

Joel

Sorry Joel, I misread the last sentence of your post.

LIUmp Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14pm

I have exactly what Joel has.

Nicely done, Joel.

Andy Mon Jun 20, 2011 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIBlueASA (Post 766907)
I have exactly what Joel has.

Nicely done, Joel.

Me too. Doesn't seem too difficult.

Is there an Irishmafia-type catch to this play that I am missing? :)

CecilOne Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 767033)
Is there an Irishmafia-type catch to this play that I am missing? :)

"Speaking ASA" of course. ;)

BretMan Mon Jun 20, 2011 01:19pm

Seems pretty straight forward to me, too. The only reason I threw this out is that in the original thread there was lot's speculation on how the umpire could call TWO outs on this play. I'm just not seeing that here.

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Jun 20, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 767102)
Seems pretty straight forward to me, too. The only reason I threw this out is that in the original thread there was lot's speculation on how the umpire could call TWO outs on this play. I'm just not seeing that here.

I am with you Bret......having a hard (almost impossible) time seeing two outs........it is not a retired runner and there was no intent to stop a double play.......

I know that I want to punish stupidity whenever possible.....but this just isn't one of those times.

Joel