The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Pam Ward on ESPN (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/70934-pam-ward-espn.html)

bkbjones Fri May 27, 2011 08:06pm

Pam Ward on ESPN

Will someone explain the NCAA obstruction rule to Pam Ward of ESPN? The difference between obstruction and interference?

Oh wait. We HAVE explained it. Never mind. But she did get what is left of my blood pressure going over the top.

Miss you all, miss the diamond, even miss some of the coaches ...

dilligaf Fri May 27, 2011 08:23pm

Pam is an idot sometimes. She was correct by stating that the runner should have continued home. If the runner saw the obstruction called by the blue she had nothing to lose. JMHO

argodad Fri May 27, 2011 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf (Post 761851)
Pam is an idot sometimes. She was correct by stating that the runner should have continued home. If the runner saw the obstruction called by the blue she had nothing to lose. JMHO

After that collision, I think she was happy to be standing and breathing! Yes, she could have tried for home and been thrown out, since she was only protected to third. (Well, Pam would have awarded her home.) :cool:

Oh ... and we miss you, Big John! You going to be in Bellevue around the 21-27 July?

BretMan Fri May 27, 2011 08:38pm

Quote:

Huh? She had everything to lose (well, at least her presence on the basepaths if she was called out).

Obstruction occured between second and third. Runner stopped on third- which was probably a good idea since the ball was being fielded in very shallow center before the runner even made it third.

Umpire obviously judged that the runner would not have scored, which is why he kept her at third after the play. If he thought she would have scored, she would have been given home after the play- which she wasn't. Had she been thrown out at home, she would have been out (ie: she would have overrun the base that the umpire obviously protected her to).

ESPN talking head was adamant that had the runner not stopped at third, but rather advanced toward home, then she would have been awarded home. Ummm...no.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Fri May 27, 2011 08:48pm

I missed 90% of the game - because I had one... Was that Whipple at 3rd in that game? Looked like him. He has been the UIC of the SE Super Regional quite a few times.

okla21fan Fri May 27, 2011 09:28pm

This. (and agree)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 761858)

Umpire obviously judged that the runner would not have scored, which is why he kept her at third after the play.

okla21fan Fri May 27, 2011 09:31pm

It was the the 'Preacherman'
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE (Post 761862)
I missed 90% of the game - because I had one... Was that Whipple at 3rd in that game? Looked like him. He has been the UIC of the SE Super Regional quite a few times.

AtlUmpSteve Fri May 27, 2011 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 761871)
It was the the 'Preacherman'

Not sure who you call Preacherman, if it is the same man; this one is a chiropractor from Dallas area, has worked the SuperRegional before, I believe.

okla21fan Fri May 27, 2011 10:01pm

yep.
hard worker (we don't agree on alot of things from the ASA/FED level but I respect him.) He is very dictated and a good official
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 761876)
Not sure who you call Preacherman, if it is the same man; this one is a chiropractor from Dallas area, has worked the SuperRegional before, I believe.

SRW Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 761855)
You going to be in Bellevue around the 21-27 July?

Are you?!? Bring a uniform, we'll find you a game. :D

MD Longhorn Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:30am

Quote:

Why?

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 03, 2011 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 763122)
Why?

Because it is not necessarily a true statement.

HugoTafurst Fri Jun 03, 2011 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 763122)
Why?

Check BretMan's answer 05/27/11