The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Of course, it also gave me a chance to talk to my assigner about how seriously the conference takes ejections, and that I needed to be sure I really needed to think about the consequences to the coach before I ejected anyone.
No the coach needs to understand the seriousness of an ejection and the consequences that come to the coach before they eject themselves. Most ejections come at the coaches request, even begging for it at times. Coaches need to realize the effects of their actions and not cross the line to put themselves in that position. Once again another example of our society not stepping up and putting the "blame" where it lies...had to be a bad umprie to eject that coach, couldn't be that the coach is an a$$ and deserved it! Sorry, rants over!!!!
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I wonder if I would get one of these awards if I listened.

There might have been a "out by a mile call" one day.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Of course, it also gave me a chance to talk to my assigner about how seriously the conference takes ejections, and that I needed to be sure I really needed to think about the consequences to the coach before I ejected anyone.
Wow. That's freaking irritating. 90% of the time (or more), coaches eject themselves. We're not out there looking to toss anyone. They know where the line is for the most part, if they choose to cross it then THEY need to talk to someone about how seriously the conference takes ejections.

Unless you're tossing people left and right, game after game, they should not have admonished you at all.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

The best part is that I turned back a HS DH for more money because it was a rain date that I was originally scheduled for.

This is actually my job and was not a popular choice around the house.

I am really not the guy that tosses a lot of coaches (3 in 5 years if we include travel ball), and I am definably not a guy that wants to get all of the information necc. for an incident report.
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

According to one team, I received mine last night.

12U. Neither pitcher can find the zone with a map and GPS. Balls are going over my head, hitting dirt in front of the plate, or so far in and out, the catcher can't get a glove on them. There were about 7 or 8 pitches at the shoulders that the coaches were barking about. Nothing ejectable, just overheard the comments from one pitcher's dad, "This is getting you ready for high school."

Bases loaded 0 outs. Hard bouncer to F5 who makes a great stop. She is about 2ft in front of the bag and comes home instead of taking an out. Defense was up by 4 runs. I slide up just outside the LH batter's box as the catcher gets the ball. She misses the plate by 6 inches then tries a tag and the runner beats the tag. Coach is irate, but controls his anger and stays in the dugout.

1st inning took 1hr 5 minutes. We finished 4 innings due to curfew and home team won 19-18. The longest 2:30 minutes of my life.
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
According to one team, I received mine last night.

12U. Neither pitcher can find the zone with a map and GPS. Balls are going over my head, hitting dirt in front of the plate, or so far in and out, the catcher can't get a glove on them. There were about 7 or 8 pitches at the shoulders that the coaches were barking about. Nothing ejectable, just overheard the comments from one pitcher's dad, "This is getting you ready for high school."

Bases loaded 0 outs. Hard bouncer to F5 who makes a great stop. She is about 2ft in front of the bag and comes home instead of taking an out. Defense was up by 4 runs. I slide up just outside the LH batter's box as the catcher gets the ball. She misses the plate by 6 inches then tries a tag and the runner beats the tag. Coach is irate, but controls his anger and stays in the dugout.

1st inning took 1hr 5 minutes. We finished 4 innings due to curfew and home team won 19-18. The longest 2:30 minutes of my life.
Gotta LOVE those 1 hour plus innings...NOT...
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have so many of those awards, I've dedicated an entire trophy case to them in the basement.

Once a coach awarded my partner WOE honors in the morning, and then gave them to me in the afternoon. I told my partner, "Hey, you're only number two on her list now." I had to laugh, though, when after she screamed, "You're the worst umpire I ever saw," a fan responded, "Then you ain't seen too many umpires, lady."

Defensive coach thinks runner should only get second, because "he had to go back and touch first."

I'd have responded, "Didn't you read the update this spring? The old one plus one is gone. It's one plus two now."

Last edited by greymule; Sat May 28, 2011 at 12:35pm.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I got mine today.
14U ASA.
Apparently the "all bases are presumed touched" theory applies to coaches too. This guy genuinely believed that, if he didn't see it, it didn't happen.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

"He tagged me up around my shoulders! I was safe! You are the worst ump ever!"

He could tag you on your head as long as he tagged you before you touched the bag.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

They were hading them out for free today huh? I got mine today too!

PONY championship game 14U. Visiting team losing most of the game but gave up 2 runs in bottom of sixth to be trailing 5-2. So top 7th, lead runner gets a walk and stolen base, and on a hit to right gets thrown out at third. Next batter takes a 3-2 changeup inside corner at the knees that I call strike 3.

3rd base coach: "Blue, was that on the swing? Time blue...where was that pitch?" I walk toward coach and am intercepted by coach from the dugout, who is the head coach.

OC: Where was that pitch?
Me: Coach it was over the pla..
OC: You haven't called it there all day! You're horrible!
Me: Good bye coach.

I walked away. She states, "Good I wanted to go home anyway." She leaves the field. Next batter looks at strike 3 on the outside corner. Unbeknownst to me the OC was watching from behind the backstop and as I and my partner walk off she yells to me: "That was a strike, but the other one was not!"

My PONY regional director, who is also an umpire, told me I have to fill out a form and explain exactly what the coach did that made me eject her. I said I didn't eject her, she ejected herself. I also asked, "do you want me to write 'coach used 'you're horrible'? in the reason for ejection section? He told me that after the game he congratulated her for her good game and that we will see her at the PONY Nationals, to which she told him that she hopes I'[m not there, because I'm terrible.

Stinks for this coach that I will be there. So I get the award that I get to bring with me to PONY Nationals.

Best part for me must have been the scrutiny I got from our regional director. "Be careful to give coaches an opportunity to argue; try to calm them down or warn first; or here's my favorite - you're horrible can get a response of "so what, not that big a deal" from PONY National office." He told me to look in the rule book to find out exactly HOW I should write WHY I ejected her.

On behalf of myself, and of all other umpires before or after me - the magic words of "you're horrible" will never be tolerated and will get you an early ride home every time.

This was my first ever ejection, by the way.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

What the Director told you to do just sets up the other umpires in your are for more abuse. I think what you did was correct and I would not change a thing either. I the 7 years that I have umpired I have also only toseed 6 coaches. Five of them really ejected themself. Good luck at the nationals.

The only WOE I ever have received was for a 10U coach that was on offense. His batter hit a pitch directly to the forhead of the OT pitcher. At that age I called time immediately because the pitcher dropped to the ground immediately. The was nobody on base and the BR took first. The coach came out screaming that I did not have the right to call time until the play was finished. I explained my reason and my concern for the 9 year old that was pitching. I know the rule but I thought the safety issue was more important. He screamed that the pitcher should not play the position if she can't protect herself and I was the worst umpire that he has ever seen. At that time the parents on the opposing side as well as some of his own started getting on him big time from the stands for being an idiot. At the end of the game I got a nice standing applause from many of the parents stating "Great Job Blue". It was the best WOE award I think I will ever get.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
What the Director told you to do just sets up the other umpires in your are for more abuse. I think what you did was correct and I would not change a thing either. I the 7 years that I have umpired I have also only toseed 6 coaches. Five of them really ejected themself. Good luck at the nationals.

The only WOE I ever have received was for a 10U coach that was on offense. His batter hit a pitch directly to the forhead of the OT pitcher. At that age I called time immediately because the pitcher dropped to the ground immediately. The was nobody on base and the BR took first. The coach came out screaming that I did not have the right to call time until the play was finished. I explained my reason and my concern for the 9 year old that was pitching. I know the rule but I thought the safety issue was more important. He screamed that the pitcher should not play the position if she can't protect herself and I was the worst umpire that he has ever seen. At that time the parents on the opposing side as well as some of his own started getting on him big time from the stands for being an idiot. At the end of the game I got a nice standing applause from many of the parents stating "Great Job Blue". It was the best WOE award I think I will ever get.

He should have been #7.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Got my "worst call ever" award tonight.

Previous two champions of our top co-ed adult slow pitch division.

Tight game all way to 7th, the visitors getting a run in each of two earlier innings, the home side no scores, a bunch of errors and a number of runners left on. Top of 7th the visitors break out and get 6 runs in.

Bottom of 7th, 1 out, batter fouls two pitches, watches two balls and then is called out looking. Can't believe it, tells me the pitch was way high and as he exits the field tells me it was the worst call ever.

Not long after and the game is done - 8 runs to zip.

Their coach then very politely had a dicsussion with me about my high strike zone.

Then their captain politely told me all about my high strike zone, that it was the reason for all their pop-ups and that the game was no fun for either team as a result. Also tells me that they're such classy players that they didn't say anything during the game that he'd rather have a quiet word afterwards.

I just smiled and nodded at the time, not going to take offense or react, but the more I think about it after the fact the more p!$$ed off I get.

But hey, it's only taken me a season and a third of umpiring to get a worst ever award, it can only get better from here!
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far far away .. View Post
Then their captain politely told me all about my high strike zone, that it was the reason for all their pop-ups and that the game was no fun for either team as a result.
Seems to me that with an 8-0 score, at least one team was having fun!