The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Worst umpire ever award, Have you got yours yet this year?

I got mine this past Saturday night (men's slow pitch, beer league). Before, during and after I had ejected every player dropping F-bombs and comments about my mother from a single team. Which, of course, resulted in a forfeit.

Although I manage to get that award at least once a year, this may be the earliest I've ever gotten it.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

And you wonder why I don't do slow pitch???? I could have stopped by and helped vote for worst umpire award Saturday, 5 of us went by there Saturday night saw the lights and the slow pitch games in action....since all 3 of us umpires (2 wifes) were fast pitch people we voted to continue on without stopping!!

O and by the way good job you deserve that award....
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

thanks buddy!!

It actually wasn't that bad of a night.... Just a few guys got too far under the beer sign.
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 11:00am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
I got mine this past Saturday night (men's slow pitch, beer league). Before, during and after I had ejected every player dropping F-bombs and comments about my mother from a single team. Which, of course, resulted in a forfeit.

Although I manage to get that award at least once a year, this may be the earliest I've ever gotten it.

I have received the award multiple times in multiple sports:

boys' JrHS basketball (7th grade and 8th grade; take your pick)
girls' JrHS basketball (7th grade and 8th grade; take your pick)
boys' HS basktball (freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity; take your pick)
girls' HS basktball (freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity; take your pick)
boys' (all age groups) basketball AAU, ABYTour, and YBOA (local and national) tournaments
girls' (all age groups) basketball AAU, ABYTour, and YBOA (local and national) tournaments
women's college (jr. coll., Div. III jr. varsity, Div. III varsity) basketball; I never won the award for Div. I, , even though I have officiated 18 playoff games at that level (dfferent times back then)
men's college (jr. coll., Div. III jr. varsity) basketball
boys' HS baseball (freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity; take your pick)
girls' HS fastpitch softball (freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity; take your pick)
boys' (all age groups) baseball summer league
girls' (all age groups) fastpitch softball ASA, USSSA summer league and local tournaments)
boys' HS soccer (freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity; take your pick)
girls' HS soccer (freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity; take your pick)

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I was given the WOE award recently when I failed to overrule my partner who made the Worst Call in the History of Sports. 2 awards on the same play. We were quite proud.

(Oh, and nevermind that the coach never, not once in his self-ejection, asked partner to come to me. And also nevermind that if she had, I saw exactly what she did - a fielder failing to tag a runner with a ball she was not even in possession of. Coach's entire argument hinged on "That ball beat her by 4 steps" - sure it did. Too bad no one caught it - and even if she did ... she never touched the runner (with neither the glove, hand, nor ball) !)

Funny comment from one of their parents when coach used up his leash and much of the leash for his next game and was finally tossed... After the ejection was signalled, one guy says, "That's the first thing they've done right."

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I would love to host an end of the year tournament at the park that I get my league games in that is a "card" tournament. (slow pitch of course, I doubt it would work with fast pitch, but maybe)

meaning... if'n the player(s) complain they get a colored card based on the complaint and the amount of complaining. The weakest of the cards meaning that person has to take the position of the umpire that he/she complained to/about for the remainder of the inning. The strongest resulting in that player relieving the umpire for an entire 7 innings.

It would have to be a fund raiser/benifit tournament.... and in case it ever happens, I've already got a list.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Zelibamox Reported as Spam

Reported
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Got WOE on message board once.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

I haven't got mine yet this year...but the season is young! I did get a handful of WUE's in one game last season, so that should tide me over for awhile.

Top of the seventh, tie game. R1 on first. Ball hit to right center. Runner is off on contact. Catch is made and runner is easy pickings. But the throw from F8 is high, wide and into the dugout. Runner scrambles back to touch first, then I award third base.

Defensive coach thinks runner should only get second, because "he had to go back and touch first". His animated protests seem to get the fans agitated and they're really climbing us.

As it turns out, this runner proved to be the winning run. From the field to the car, my partner and I are accosted by angry fans, certain that our ineptitude has just deprived them of a victory.

After surviving that gauntlet and reaching our cars, we're confronted by a white-haired grandmotherly type who literally rips us a new one. Besides earning the coveted "Worst Umpire Ever" award, she tells us that we should never be allowed on any field ever again and that she is going to report us to the state high school association. I just looked at my partner and laughed.

Funny...never did get that disciplinary phone call from the state high school association...

Last edited by BretMan; Wed May 25, 2011 at 10:12am.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Here's mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I haven't got mine yet this year...but the season is young! I did get a handful of WOE's in one game last season, so that should tide me over for awhile.

Top of the seventh, tie game. R1 on first. Ball hit to right center. Runner is off on contact. Catch is made and runner is easy pickings. But the throw from F8 is high, wide and into the dugout. Runner scrambles back to touch first, then I award third base.

Defensive coach thinks runner should only get second, because "he had to go back and touch first". His animated protests seem to get the fans agitated and they're really climbing us.

As it turns out, this runner proved to be the winning run. From the field to the car, my partner and I are accosted by angry fans, certain that our ineptitude has just deprived them of a victory.

After surviving that gauntlet and reaching our cars, we're confronted by a white-haired grandmotherly type who literally rips us a new one. Besides earning the coveted "Worst Umpire Ever" award, she tells us that we should never be allowed on any field ever again and that she is going to report us to the state high school association. I just looked at my partner and laughed.

Funny...never did get that disciplinary phone call from the state high school association...
Bottom of the 7th. Score is 6 - 3. Home team down by 3. They score three runs so we go extra innings. Visitors don't score in their half of the 8th. Home team has the winning run at 3rd in the bottom of the 8th. I can't remember the count but the next pitch was low. The batter swung and fouled it in the ground. The runner at third takes off because she believes it is a passed ball. The catcher retrieves the ball and tags the runner out. While this is all going on I (BU) came up with a loud Foul Ball call. The visitor coaches are pointing at me saying I have a call. The fans are cheering because they think they have an out. I tell my partner what I have, we reset and one of the visiting coaches says good call. The next pitch hits the batter. Now we have runners on 1st and 3rd. At some point during the next batters turn at bat, a pitch is again low and gets by the catcher. This time the run scores. The visiting fans are yelling "Foul Ball". However, the batter never swung. The ball never touched the bat. As we are leaving one of the visiting fans says to us "I never talk to the umpires, but you are the worst I've seen".

Yeah, right. I let three runs score in the bottom of the 7th.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Bottom of the 7th. Score is 6 - 3. Home team down by 3. They score three runs so we go extra innings. Visitors don't score in their half of the 8th. Home team has the winning run at 3rd in the bottom of the 8th. I can't remember the count but the next pitch was low. The batter swung and fouled it in the ground. The runner at third takes off because she believes it is a passed ball. The catcher retrieves the ball and tags the runner out. While this is all going on I (BU) came up with a loud Foul Ball call. The visitor coaches are pointing at me saying I have a call. The fans are cheering because they think they have an out. I tell my partner what I have, we reset and one of the visiting coaches says good call. The next pitch hits the batter. Now we have runners on 1st and 3rd. At some point during the next batters turn at bat, a pitch is again low and gets by the catcher. This time the run scores. The visiting fans are yelling "Foul Ball". However, the batter never swung. The ball never touched the bat. As we are leaving one of the visiting fans says to us "I never talk to the umpires, but you are the worst I've seen".

Yeah, right. I let three runs score in the bottom of the 7th.

WHY?

Why not a "Dead ball" call and let the plate ump make the determination as to where she was?
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
[...]

Imagine the #&*!storm if you had the runner past second at the time of the throw. Is there a worse than worst-ever award?
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

I got one at a 14U State tournament where the BR was clearly out at 1st and I just gave a normal out signal.

Coach was pissed and thought his runner was safe (notice I said clearly out)......he told me that the least I could have done was give a "sell" out call.......

Because I did not give the "sell" out......I was the worst umpire ever.....he had been umpiring for X years.....and I was untrained.

Funny......I had at that point umpired about 12 State tournaments.....and had never seen him......and I was not a host umpire......I was about 400 miles from home.......

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Thu May 26, 2011 at 01:54pm.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Mine was the starter of the only writing I had to do all year. The coach was nice enough to come back onto the field to give it to me though.

I am not sure it counts as I was only the worst they had this year, not actually a global award. It was specific to the school.

Of course, it also gave me a chance to talk to my assigner about how seriously the conference takes ejections, and that I needed to be sure I really needed to think about the consequences to the coach before I ejected anyone.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 11:49am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post

Of course, it also gave me a chance to talk to my assigner about how seriously the conference takes ejections, and that I needed to be sure I really needed to think about the consequences to the coach before I ejected anyone.
I love assigners that stick up for their officials.