The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Florida vs. ASU PU strike zone

I know I will catch flack over discussing tv angle and perceived strikes or non strike calls, but it sure looked like the PU missed quite a few calls. On at least 1 occasion, the Florida HC felt the same way and another time the look on his face said the same thing. One pitch was belt high and caught what looked like about 3-4 inches of the white on the outside. The other one was right in the middle of the plate a little above the knees. I know we all miss some pitches, but if the camera didn't deceive me, I wasn't too impressed with his strike zone. These umpires should be the elite of the elite I would think. Dave
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I know I will catch flack over discussing tv angle and perceived strikes or non strike calls, but it sure looked like the PU missed quite a few calls. On at least 1 occasion, the Florida HC felt the same way and another time the look on his face said the same thing. One pitch was belt high and caught what looked like about 3-4 inches of the white on the outside. The other one was right in the middle of the plate a little above the knees. I know we all miss some pitches, but if the camera didn't deceive me, I wasn't too impressed with his strike zone. These umpires should be the elite of the elite I would think. Dave
It seemed early in the game there were no issues at all from anyone. There were quite a few that the TH questioned that even K-zone noted out of the strike zone.

What I did notice was the UF catcher being somewhat demonstrative on pulling up what she considered low pitches and holding the glove in place This is when Walton started screaming that the pitch was not "down".

What is interesting to me is that the tracker is showing almost, if not every, pitch has an arc to it.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

So it probably was camera angle then. Did you notice when the catcher didn't agree with a call, she would pop up, toss the ball up in the air and catch it with the other hand and then throw back to the pitcher? Dave
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So it probably was camera angle then. Did you notice when the catcher didn't agree with a call, she would pop up, toss the ball up in the air and catch it with the other hand and then throw back to the pitcher? Dave
Oh, yeah. Too bad she didn't lose it with a runner on base.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

FYI Chris Drum umpired in the last Olympics and PanAm games. Not saying this make her infallible, but she is better than most.

What surprised me is she was plate for this game, because I believe her normal conference is the Pac10.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
FYI Chris Drum umpired in the last Olympics and PanAm games. Not saying this make her infallible, but she is better than most.

What surprised me is she was plate for this game, because I believe her normal conference is the Pac10.
Normal conference? She also works the Big XII and SEC.

This weekend proves that resume' means absolutely nothing. BTW, her 1 NCAA Super Regional does not qualify her to work the WCWS based on the SUP's own guidelines. Hard to buy into their program when they don't follow their own rules.

Also, it's Drumm.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Flipper calm down. I should've put I believe... As far as the other things I don't ump college so I wouldn't know, but you sound a little irritated.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I would hope that by now all viewers would be able to discern FLIPPERs
evident discouragement with the NCAA selections and his particular exclusion.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
I would hope that by now all viewers would be able to discern FLIPPERs
evident discouragement with the NCAA selections and his particular exclusion.
Maybe Flipper has an axe to grind or not. He brought up the point that Chris only has one Super Regional is this true or not??? And is it a requirement or not to work more than one to get a finals assignment???

Last edited by Scooby; Sat Jun 04, 2011 at 11:25pm.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Not to be flippant to Flipper, but we all know that requirements have been known to change when a certain agenda or quota is desired.

That said, and I haven't seen any games since early Friday (working a Qualifier in our state), but I have great respect for Chris's game; more so than several other quota choices in recent years. Even if they are currently on the SUP .
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
FYI Chris Drum umpired in the last Olympics
Sure about that? I believe it was Tracey and Lori...

Just sayin'....
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have not seen as many of the Regional, Super Regional or WCWS games as I would have liked this year, but have seen a few with the ESPN "Strike Cam".........

I have liked it for the most part.....but am not very sure of its accuracy........

It seems to like the low part of the zone.....which most umpires have (including me) have an issue with.......oh well......

Joel
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I started this post and it has been a few days but the PU I was referring to in this game was a male umpire. Dave
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
I started this post and it has been a few days but the PU I was referring to in this game was a male umpire. Dave
No, it was Chris. Lots of people make that mistake.

I think it was the World she worked in South America. And for the record, she is one of the better female umpires I've worked with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame
I would hope that by now all viewers would be able to discern FLIPPERs evident discouragement with the NCAA selections and his particular exclusion.
No, I worked the post-season assignment I was qualified to work. But I do believe there were others who have supported the SUP for years and have alot of post-season experience that didn't get assignments due to the current staff's agenda. And, while I do know that requirements/guidelines change to suit that agenda, it doesn't make it right or easy to accept. Everybody has a limit to how long they will continue to support or be a part of a program that consistently uses something other than an umpire's ability to make assignments. There are quite a few, including me, who have reached that limit. Some may go away quietly, others may not.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
No, I worked the post-season assignment I was qualified to work. But I do believe there were others who have supported the SUP for years and have alot of post-season experience that didn't get assignments due to the current staff's agenda. And, while I do know that requirements/guidelines change to suit that agenda, it doesn't make it right or easy to accept. Everybody has a limit to how long they will continue to support or be a part of a program that consistently uses something other than an umpire's ability to make assignments. There are quite a few, including me, who have reached that limit. Some may go away quietly, others may not.
You are correct, but there is no way around it. I believe Steve posted a couple weeks ago that there WOULD be a female presence at the NCAA Championships regardless of what SHOULD be.

And you know this isn't just NCAA, but just about every sporting event in the world. I've had umpires call me from the 1st day of a NC and tell me who would be on the finals before the tournament even started. And they were right. OTOH, it is damn near impossible for a female umpire to get an ASA Men's FP final at some levels, but I know a few that probably wouldn't have any problems.

BTW, it isn't just restricted to FP. I've worked HCS finals and am aware of other instances where some of the umpires were not qualified. Please note that when I say "not qualified", I'm referring to eligibility on paper. It's quite possible some were more qualified on the field than those eligible. I also know through experience that sometimes a UIC has to do certain things that may not seem right, but must be done.

I see "eligibility requirements" the same as ASA addresses the Rules Supplements, not rules, but guidelines.

But you are correct that some people just get tired of the PC shoved down our throats. However, we've all been there and sometimes just isn't worth worrying about.