The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Uf-asu

Speaking of "baiting", did anyone see the IP called on the Gator's pitcher in the 1st?

U3 made the call from behind 2B which negated a put out at 1B.

Coach Walton comes out holding two fingers about an inch or two. Apparently, he was asking the umpire how far was her foot off the ground.

Doesn't make any difference coach, off the ground is off the ground and it's a leap. Replay showed it was, without any doubt, a leap.

Now think about it, just what can the coach use that information for other than questioning the umpire's judgment.

Coach: How high was the foot off the ground, blue?
Umpire: Oh, about an inch or two.
Coach: An inch or two? You tell me you can tell her pivot foot was off the ground by an inch from way back there? She's moving away from you, how can you tell?
Umpire: Well, maybe it was three or four inches.
Coach: Three or four? You just said you saw it one or two inches off the ground! Which is it, blue, one, two, three or four.....or are you now going to say five or six? Are you sure you saw any space between her toe and the dirt?

Nope, there is absolutely nothing good that can come from placating the coach with a number in a situation like that.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 10:57pm.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

the 3 or so pitches before, there was a progression of getting higher with the push off of the pivot foot.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what you're getting at Mike. I think Kevin's finger spacing was much more accurate than Walton's. Odd that you would defend someone who kicks a call and won't take the a$$ chewing he has coming, but will criticize someone who makes the right call and calmly explains what he saw to the coach. Baiting? Really? Maybe he should have just told him to get out of his face.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Not sure what you're getting at Mike. I think Kevin's finger spacing was much more accurate than Walton's. Odd that you would defend someone who kicks a call and won't take the a$$ chewing he has coming, but will criticize someone who makes the right call and calmly explains what he saw to the coach. Baiting? Really? Maybe he should have just told him to get out of his face.
Maybe you should try reading what was typed. I criticized no one, simply stated that there is nothing positive in responding to a request for irrelevant information.

Not only do I fully expect an umpire to explain an IP call, I instruct them to do so without hesitation.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, why you are at it, whatever it is, I believe JK called what he saw. I don't call that kicking a call. Was it the wrong call? From different angles, it seemed to be, but from the RHBB, it probably didn't seem so.

Or do you think that maybe JK should have stopped everything, asked to see a replay and then make a decision on whether to allow the coach to act like an *** or not? Actually, it really doesn't matter. You act like an ***, you get tossed. Earlywine knew it and said as much in his interview.

Then again, sort of curious why you are so intent on dumping on an umpire for getting rid of a coach who agrees he should have been dumped?

I know I'm anal and obnoxious, what's your excuse?
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Maybe you should try reading what was typed. I criticized no one, simply stated that there is nothing positive in responding to a request for irrelevant information.
I would consider it using your experience to understand what a coach is doing and countering it appropriately.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, why you are at it, whatever it is, I believe JK called what he saw. I don't call that kicking a call. Was it the wrong call? From different angles, it seemed to be, but from the RHBB, it probably didn't seem so.
The player's reaction should tell you whether it was wrong or not. It should have told John something as well.

Quote:
Or do you think that maybe JK should have stopped everything, asked to see a replay and then make a decision on whether to allow the coach to act like an *** or not? Actually, it really doesn't matter. You act like an ***, you get tossed. Earlywine knew it and said as much in his interview.
We have all been in a situation where we instantly question if what we called is actually what happened. In those cases, you have to give the coach some leeway. Not too much, but some.

Quote:
Then again, sort of curious why you are so intent on dumping on an umpire for getting rid of a coach who agrees he should have been dumped?

I know I'm anal and obnoxious, what's your excuse?
IDK, maybe it comes from working with him and listening to others who have worked with him often. Maybe it's something I've seen before (see the 2010 Big East Championship game). Something about an umpire that talks about himself in the third person turns me off. If your personal experience with John is different, I understand you defending him.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Maybe it's something I've seen before (see the 2010 Big East Championship game). Something about an umpire that talks about himself in the third person turns me off....
So, it's personal with you, then. That explains a lot.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The player's reaction should tell you whether it was wrong or not. It should have told John something as well.
It should have, but the call was already made and I have little doubt that he believed he made the right call.

Quote:
We have all been in a situation where we instantly question if what we called is actually what happened. In those cases, you have to give the coach some leeway. Not too much, but some.
Even if I don't question my call, I will give the coach leeway to do his job which is going to be an adversarial position by definition. That doesn't mean s/he is allowed to be more of an ******* than usual. I expect a coach to act in the same professional manner as they would expect of me or any other umpire.

Quote:
IDK, maybe it comes from working with him and listening to others who have worked with him often. Maybe it's something I've seen before (see the 2010 Big East Championship game). Something about an umpire that talks about himself in the third person turns me off. If your personal experience with John is different, I understand you defending him.
I don't know JK personally, but I'm not defending JK either. I'm defending any umpire who is in that position, even Tony C.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
So, it's personal with you, then. That explains a lot.
That's right Tom. It's just personal.

Do you know him or have you worked with him? Did you go back and see how he handled the Big East Championship? If so, fine. If not, STFU!
Old Sat Jun 04, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know JK personally, but I'm not defending JK either. I'm defending any umpire who is in that position, even Tony C.
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in. (M. Corleone GodFather III). ==>
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you know him or have you worked with him? Did you go back and see how he handled the Big East Championship? If so, fine. If not, STFU!
Wow, it really IS personal! Either that or talking about oneself in the 3rd person is #11 on the top ten umpiring no-no's.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Inappropriate, bordering on being reported.