The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

how bad of an opps

Based loaded less than 2 outs. Dropped third stirke, cather throws ball to first. I put runner back at 3rd and all the out. When responding please help the 2nd year ump. Thanks for the read.
Old Thu May 19, 2011, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqiaump View Post
Based loaded less than 2 outs. Dropped third stirke, cather throws ball to first. I put runner back at 3rd and all the out. When responding please help the 2nd year ump. Thanks for the read.
There's a lot of discussion around what it exactly takes for a retired batter (what you had) to interfere with a throw to first while running and I don't understand it well enough to explain it you. But the only way you can kill the ball and send any runners back is if you're calling something that has that penalty or you made a mistake and as a result of correcting that mistake you need to. (That is if your reversal put a team in jeopardy, for example, see the thread about the runner called out at 3rd.) So if you killed it for interference than you've got to have somebody out.
Otherwise, the ball is live and if runners run around because they are confused they have to live with the consequences. (See the thread about the 2 out confusion)
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

What was your reasoning for putting her back to third?

I think you already know you erred.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

How bad an oops?

Well, that was the worst call the OC had ever seen, wasn't it?
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqiaump View Post
As already noted, there are two possibilities, and unfortunately, you kind of split the difference between them.

The first possibility is if there was a play at 1B (e.g. a runner on 1B diving back to the bag) and the retired batter gets in the way of the throw by running, you have interference. Dead ball. Since the player who committed the interference is already out, R1 (runner closest to home) would be out.

The second (and, as you describe it) most likely possibility is there was no interference (merely running on a supposed dropped 3rd strike is not interference). In that case, it remains a live ball and runners get what they can get should they try to advance.

There is no outcome where you would correctly put R1 back on 3B.
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Call the out on the batter and then watch the action and rule on what you see. Can you explain what the runners did, where the ball went, etc. Your OP doesn't really give us a sense of what happened.

West Houston Mike