The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Sweet Championship Game

Didn't have a chance to post this yesterday... This happened Sunday.

2 teams that had faced each other earlier resulting in an 11-6 game, so we knew the girls could hit. Not a lot of walks in the game either although one pitcher fell apart near the end. Anyway... champ game and the pitchers are ON. Several line shots were landing in gloves. First basemen for both teams were human highlight reels. Through 4, it's 0-0. No batters past 2nd all game. Top of 5, 2 outs runner on 2nd, huge pop between SS and CF. SS has a play but loses it trying to go back then look back up. CF comes flying in, dives toward the infield full out, takes out the SS, and catches the ball. Opposing team fans even give her a standing O.

Anyone who has watched ESPN highlights knows what is coming, but I'll type it anyway.

Bottom 6 (final inning of regulation in this tourney). Still 0-0. Pitcher issues her first walk. Pinch runner comes in and barely steals 2nd. Intentional walk to big hitter. Bunt, another IW. Bases loaded, 1 out. IF in, OF on the dirt. Full count, a shot up the middle somehow snagged by the pitcher, who fires home. Out. Catcher fires to first - BARELY safe. Bases still loaded and here comes the center fielder that made the catch. Behind me as she's coming up, I hear a mom say, "How cool would it be..." as dad interrupts with, "Shut up, don't say it." Man after my own heart.

Full count... 3 more pitches fouled off. 9th pitch of the AB is hit between SS and 3B, SS barehands, fires to first... SAFE!!!!! Ball game.

You can't bottle this stuff.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

I don't have ESPN anymore here in Holland. The report is reading like a thiller. Man, you can actually feel the tension. How great it must have been for this crew to work this game. How proud can the organisation be to have this game as the final. Awesome!

My most memorable final was a men FP-game. The 3th game (Best of 5) for the dutch championship. It took 3.5 hours to get a winner in the bottom 14th inning. Error by F2 in attempt steel at base 3, F5 holds runner by the arm at the base; DDB. Run scores 1-0. I was U3, had 2 calls all game long. My second call was the DDB...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?