The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   greatest interference play i ever heard (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/69936-greatest-interference-play-i-ever-heard.html)

andyump Mon May 16, 2011 08:28am

greatest interference play i ever heard

A fellow umpire gave me this scenario
scored tied,bottom of the 7th runners on 2nd and 3rd high fly ball hit to ss runner from 3rd base raises home, runner on 2nd base grabs ss as she is ready to catch fly ball (remember runner on 3rd touched home when interference accurs) would you let the winning run to score?

Skahtboi Mon May 16, 2011 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyump (Post 758788)
A fellow umpire gave me this scenario
scored tied,bottom of the 7th runners on 2nd and 3rd high fly ball hit to ss runner from 3rd base raises home, runner on 2nd base grabs ss as she is ready to catch fly ball (remember runner on 3rd touched home when interference accurs) would you let the winning run to score?

Dead ball on the interference, which is a batted ball. No action can occur as a result.

andyump Mon May 16, 2011 08:58am

interference happened after the runner crossed home

Rachel Mon May 16, 2011 08:59am

No

Skahtboi Mon May 16, 2011 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyump (Post 758797)

On a batted ball!

Skahtboi Mon May 16, 2011 09:02am

Think to yourself here Andy. If SS had caught the fly ball, and had not been interfered with at all, and then had thrown to third on an appeal, what would you have had?

NCASAUmp Mon May 16, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyump (Post 758797)

Doesn't matter.

andyump Mon May 16, 2011 09:24am

remember fellow umps last base touched at the time of interference so runner on 3rd already touched home when inter ference occurs

Skahtboi Mon May 16, 2011 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyump (Post 758810)
remember fellow umps last base touched at the time of interference so runner on 3rd already touched home when inter ference occurs

Answer my previous question about the ball being caught. Do you care then that the runner has already crossed home? Or, will you honor the appeal?

Skahtboi Mon May 16, 2011 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyump (Post 758810)

Oh...also, for the play you stated in the OP, the information you provide here is totally irrelevant.

rwest Mon May 16, 2011 09:44am

An out on the appeal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 758801)
Think to yourself here Andy. If SS had caught the fly ball, and had not been interfered with at all, and then had thrown to third on an appeal, what would you have had?

But that's not what happened in the OP. I would let the run score as home was the last base legally touched prior to the interference. The argument could be made that since he left early home was not "legally" touched. However, I would not interpret it that way because we are never to give away that a runner left early. This, in my opinion, is similar to assuming that a runner touched a base unless properly appealed. Then you rule on the appeal. So, until a valid appeal is made at third, I would score the run but wait to leave the field in order to give the defense a chance to appeal.

rwest Mon May 16, 2011 09:46am

Sure it matters

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 758803)
Doesn't matter.

You don't put the runner back on third. He touched home before the appeal. Score the run, but wait to leave the field to give the defense an opportunity to appeal the runner leaving early.

rwest Mon May 16, 2011 09:47am

How is it irrelevant?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 758817)
Oh...also, for the play you stated in the OP, the information you provide here is totally irrelevant.

It is most certainly relevant as on any interference call, you put runners back to the last base touched.

JefferMC Mon May 16, 2011 10:03am

In my old 2008 ASA rule book:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8.2
BATTER RUNNER IS OUT...K. When the immediate previous runner who is not out intentionally interferes, in the umpire’s judgment, with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or throw a ball in an attempt to complete the play on the batter-runner.
EFFECT: The runner shall also be called out.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.5.B
No run shall be scored if the third out of the inning is the result of:
1. A batter-runner being called out prior to reaching first base or any other
runner forced out due to the batter becoming a batter-runner. On an
appeal play, the force out is determined when the appeal is made, not
when the infraction occurred.

R2 would have been the "immediate" previous runner, no? No run scores.

EDIT: Oops, 8.2.K is a "thrown" ball. Hmmm...

rwest Mon May 16, 2011 10:10am

The OP didn't include the number of outs

Also, the interference was on batted ball, not a thrown ball. So 8.2.K doesn't apply. The exception to 8.7J-L does apply. If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball, fair or foul, with ordinary effort, the batter is also out.

So if there were two outs, then the run would not score.