The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

The thread on SP reminded me of working SP back in CNY. The local women's league instituted a mat behind home plate, the rationale being that strikes would be called more consistently. One game I worked, the poor pitcher could not find the mat. Batter after batter,
inspired by "a walk is as good as a hit" from their teammates, came to the plate and merrily walked around the bases. I felt like asking the batters why they bothered carrying a bat ! What was I to do ?
Talk about boring !! What was sad was there were actually pitches that passed through the "normal" strike zone but were balls by league rule. Horrible ! I lobbied every season for them to get rid of the mat. Anyone else ever see that ??
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Mat ball again

I have seen similiar situations and that is diffently one of the downsides if the pitcher is struggling teams will start taking pitches and it makes for long games. In Seniors league where I have done must of my calling with the MAT they at least 2 or 3 pretty good pitchers on the team, so if one is struggling the other one comes in and tries

Don