The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   D3K rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/67649-d3k-rules.html)

dilligaf Tue Apr 19, 2011 04:26pm

D3K rules

Had a major fist last night. It was a 12U city league game and both teams were marginal at best. Clock had run out and the home team was getting their last licks when the time expired. The home team was down by 1 run.
Two outs and the bases were loaded. D3K is in effect for this league. Catcher drops the 3rd strike and the fun begins. BR jogs down to 1B and believe it or not the catcher just rolls the ball out to the mound and the team began to celebrate their win in front of their dugout. Yep…you guessed it. Runners on 3B and 2B base run in to score. Game over and home team takes the win.

Coach comes unglued. He started yelling that the bases were occupied so the BR could not go down to first. He said he knew the rule and that my interpretation was wrong. He calls the league president and stated to complain. She comes over to the field and he told her what happened. She came to me and told me I was wrong and that the visiting team was the winners. I explained to her what happened and she the informed me that if 1st base is occupied the BR could not take the base even if there are two outs. She confirmed that D3K was in effect however she knows without a doubt that you can never take 1B on D3K even if there are two outs. I verified that there were no league exceptions that they had made regarding the rule.
I
did not want to argue with her and turned in the score card to the scorekeeper and went on my way. The home team coach was pretty good about the whole thing. He said that he would handle it with them at their meeting tonight and remind them what the rule is. I guess you just have to take it with a grain of salt and mark it up to another for the books.

MD Longhorn Tue Apr 19, 2011 04:34pm

Well ... first off... so sorry about the fist - I bet that hurt. Who gave it to you? :)

Seriously - League President has ZERO authority on the field. And in your case, for obvious reasons. But you did right by just leaving and letting other handle it. Sucks you have a League President so clueless.

Coach comes unglued? You toss him right then? Then you can walk away. Don't care if the game's over - unglued coach gets to go to the review board anyway (whatever procedure your league has).

Only thing I'd have done differently (other than tossing coach) was - if he had time to find the CLP (Clueless League President), you had time to be in the umpire's room or at least off the field. Let him argue it with the CLP. Let him file a protest or whatever. You are gone and Home Team has won. Later.

tcannizzo Tue Apr 19, 2011 06:23pm

Either way, the game was over.
What do you care about who won?:rolleyes:

Inthegame Wed Apr 20, 2011 05:43pm

you guys don't get it - there is a new rule actually 2

This weekend doing 14U travel ball teams - Im doing the bucket.

1. Less than 2 outs no runners on base. Dropped D3K batter starts to walk to dugout catcher throws ball to pitcher. I delay to watch batter - she DOES enter the dugout & I ring her up. Well the pitchers Dad states that was a bad call blue ONCE she takes a step to the dugout she is out. That was a new rule to me.

But it gets better.......................

2. One out bottom of last inning visitors winning no one on base. D3K catcher throws ball to the pitcher. BR heads to first, pitcher throws ball to first & partner rings up batter runner. The same parent (who would've guessed???) yells "you don't have to do that once the ball is in the pitcher's circle, they can't run." This is a pitchers parent.

So should we add these to the myths or are these new rules???:confused::confused::confused::confused::e ek::eek::eek:;);););)

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 20, 2011 07:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inthegame (Post 752161)
This weekend doing 14U travel ball teams - Im doing the bucket.

1. Less than 2 outs no runners on base. Dropped D3K batter starts to walk to dugout catcher throws ball to pitcher. I delay to watch batter - she DOES enter the dugout & I ring her up. Well the pitchers Dad states that was a bad call blue ONCE she takes a step to the dugout she is out. That was a new rule to me.

But it gets better.......................

2. One out bottom of last inning visitors winning no one on base. D3K catcher throws ball to the pitcher. BR heads to first, pitcher throws ball to first & partner rings up batter runner. The same parent (who would've guessed???) yells "you don't have to do that once the ball is in the pitcher's circle, they can't run." This is a pitchers parent.

So should we add these to the myths or are these new rules???:confused::confused::confused::confused::e ek::eek::eek:;);););)

I probably would have went out of my way to invite him to the next umpire meeting

MD Longhorn Thu Apr 21, 2011 08:14am

Quote:

Well the pitchers Dad states that was a bad call blue ONCE she takes a step to the dugout she is out. That was a new rule to me.

Well, the guy's a knucklehead, obviously... but certain BASEBALL rulesets he's close to right (dirt circle, not 1 step)

TwoBits Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:31pm

Quote:

Already one step ahead of you. See myth #8. The post only references NFHS rules, but I'm sure you can find the corresponding rule in your rule set:

http://forum.officiating.com/softbal...1-edition.html

TwoBits Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 752279)
Well, the guy's a knucklehead, obviously... but certain BASEBALL rulesets he's close to right (dirt circle, not 1 step)

Correct in the majors and those leagues using OBR, but not in NFHS. In NFHS, they have to enter dead ball territory, just like softball.

http://forum.officiating.com/softbal...1-edition.html