The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Recruiting Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/67292-recruiting-officials.html)

kleeds Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01am

Recruiting Officials

Ladies and Gentleman,

I am the local district ASA UIC from my area. Recently I have lost one official for sure and potentially a second official for the upcoming 2011 season.

This has me stressing out because right now with the work schedules and commitments of my other officials I may not have enough officials to cover all nights of League play.

Hence I am trying to recruit new officials for the upcoming season.

I am marketing on Facebook, and locally used websites. I have also e-mailed the contacts I have in both the athletic department and others I know on the campus of the local university trying to recruit students for this paid hobby.

I am looking for other ideas that you all may have. I know flyers are an option and I may have to do that I just do not have the time to go around time hanging them.

Anyway let me know the ideas you have as I am stressing, but luckily I have a month until league and tournaments start so I do have time.

Thanks

CecilOne Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleeds (Post 750595)
Ladies and Gentleman,

I am the local district ASA UIC from my area. Recently I have lost one official for sure and potentially a second official for the upcoming 2011 season.

This has me stressing out because right now with the work schedules and commitments of my other officials I may not have enough officials to cover all nights of League play.

Hence I am trying to recruit new officials for the upcoming season.

I am marketing on Facebook, and locally used websites. I have also e-mailed the contacts I have in both the athletic department and others I know on the campus of the local university trying to recruit students for this paid hobby.

I am looking for other ideas that you all may have. I know flyers are an option and I may have to do that I just do not have the time to go around time hanging them.

Anyway let me know the ideas you have as I am stressing, but luckily I have a month until league and tournaments start so I do have time.

Thanks

First of all, NEVER refer to officiating as a hobby, it is not, it is a business for those who are paid.

How about current or recently retired players of fiends of theirs?
How about friends/relatives of other umpires?

Tru_in_Blu Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 750613)
First of all, NEVER refer to officiating as a hobby, it is not, it is a business for those who are paid.

Great! We can't have a hobby because we're paid. But it's OK to recruit fiends? Ghoulish, I say! :eek:

Dakota Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32am

I think he was probably stressing the importance of approaching umpiring as a professional. It is allowed to enjoy your profession, isn't it? ;)

shagpal Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37am

its an advocation, not an occupation. the money is really just tips.

Quote:

CecilOne Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 750627)

OK, so don't deduct your expenses. :eek: :(

Tru_in_Blu Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 750627)

Geez - you guys are setting off my spell-check bell today.

"Avocation": it's the proper term.

Dakota Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 750640)
Geez - you guys are setting off my spell-check bell today.

"Avocation": it's the proper term.

Not necessarily... the thread IS about recruiting, isn't it? :D

Tru_in_Blu Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 750641)
Not necessarily... the thread IS about recruiting, isn't it? :D

Sorta. I predict it could go down the beer path any moment. ;)

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18pm

Quote:

Don't worry, I've known kleeds for a little while now, and I can assure you that he does not treat it as a "hobby." :)

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 750645)
Sorta. I predict it could go down the beer path any moment. ;)

How about right now? :D

I've got a nice bottle of Ommegang waiting for me for when I finally get the clearance to go back to umpiring. Hopefully, that'll be VERY soon.

Inthegame Fri Apr 15, 2011 02:08pm

1. What part of the country are you in?
2. Contact local JUCO coaches & inform them & players of need - and pay rate.
3. Contact local HS coaches & travel ball coaches - to give them a chance to learn the rules from our perspective
4. Contact adult slo-pitch leagues & ask if anyone wants to supplement income

Just some quick thoughts - don't just do flyers - show up in person to make your pitch

softballaddict Fri Apr 15, 2011 03:15pm

Try local softball tournaments. Most umpires in my area work for rec depts as well as various slow or fast pitch sanctions. Many also officiate other sports, ie baseball, basketball, volleyball etc. Check with other sports official groups/assignors.

KJUmp Fri Apr 15, 2011 07:17pm

Try reaching out to officials who officiate other sports (especially young guys), who might be interested in learning to officiate another sport in the off-season of their current sport.
They already have an officiating skill set that can help "jump start" them as a softball umpire.
If you have a need for fast pitch umps, consider approaching some "baseball only" guys to see if they might be interested in learning how to umpire fast pitch. While it might take them a bit to grasp the many differences in the rules, they already know the basics of working the plate and having a consistent and accurate strike zone.
Two other things:
1) Recruit to a specific number and availability. It makes the task a little less overwhelming......"I need new umpires" vs. "I need 10 new umpires who are available a minimum of one weekend day and two nights during the week."
2) Sell the benefits,..."You can make an extra ($$ fill in the blank) a week/month based on your availability. Because as someone said in a previous post, "it is a business."