The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS pitcher's 'step' back (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/66358-nfhs-pitchers-step-back.html)

okla21fan Wed Apr 06, 2011 07:52am

NFHS pitcher's 'step' back

Pitcher assumes a legal pitching position with both feet on the pitcher's plate and hands separated. (pauses) As a part of her motion pitcher, pitcher brings hands together, raising both hands above her head, while simultaneously, non pivot foot takes a step back (within the 24 inches). Pitcher continues motion with next step towards home plate.

Now, her hands did not separate after the 'step back' , but both hands are 'in motion ' and a part of her motion.

Can we simplify when and where the 'step back' can be made?

TIA

RadioBlue Wed Apr 06, 2011 08:04am

The step back must happen before or while the hands come together. (6-1-2b) If no step has happened or is happening when the hands come together, there can only be one step which must be forward.

shipwreck Wed Apr 06, 2011 08:08am

A step back may be taken, but the motion backward must start before the hands come together. If there is any motion backward before the hands come together, it is legal. Dave

CajunNewBlue Wed Apr 06, 2011 08:35am

yep.. before the hands come together. learned this the hard way. :)

okla21fan Wed Apr 06, 2011 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 747407)
A step back may be taken, but the motion backward must start before the hands come together. If there is any motion backward before the hands come together, it is legal. Dave

Does this step backward have to be completed before the hands come together? (like I said in the OP, the hands coming together and the step backwards were happening nearly at the same time and both, were what I was considering part of the wind up)

I guess I am not following the logic (or even intent) of this requirement.

JEL Wed Apr 06, 2011 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 747496)
Does this step backward have to be completed before the hands come together? (like I said in the OP, the hands coming together and the step backwards were happening nearly at the same time and both, were what I was considering part of the wind up)

I guess I am not following the logic (or even intent) of this requirement.

6-1-2-b

...Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

okla21fan Wed Apr 06, 2011 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL (Post 747502)
6-1-2-b

...Any step backward shall begin before the hands come together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together.

Thanks

I have read that many times and for what ever reason didn't make the clear connection.

CecilOne Fri Apr 08, 2011 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 747407)

If there is any motion STARTED backward before the hands come together, it is legal.
Still legal if completed after the hand join.