The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Welcome back to umpiring. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/65378-welcome-back-umpiring.html)

Skahtboi Tue Mar 22, 2011 01:51pm

Welcome back to umpiring.

I started my season last night, after a medical leave that has kept me out for the first half of the season.

I sure hope that my first game back was not indicative of how my 2011 season is going to be. (or...at least what is left of it.)

It was one of those "games for the ages." (That is said somewhat tongue in cheek.) But it does have the dubious distinction of being the longest 7 inning or less game I have ever umpired at the high school level.

The game lasted 6, count em, 6 innings.

The official game start was 5:15. Game end, 9:16. That's right, four hours to complete 6 innings. (Thankfully, the home team managed to get a run ahead rule situation, or I might still be there.)

Final score? I know that you are all champing at the bit for this one. 38-25. That's right. 63 runs scored last night. 63!!!!!! :rolleyes:

shipwreck Tue Mar 22, 2011 01:55pm

Many a HS basketball team would be happy to score that many. Dave

NCASAUmp Tue Mar 22, 2011 02:37pm

Please tell me that was a SP score... :eek:

RKBUmp Tue Mar 22, 2011 02:42pm

You win. I thought my freshman game the other night was bad. 2 hours 20 minutes, called on account of darkness, 2 1/2 innings, score 18-15. I think about the only outs recorded the whole night were interference, running lane violation, leaving early and lookback violations.

argodad Tue Mar 22, 2011 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 742452)
Final score? I know that you are all champing at the bit for this one. 38-25. That's right. 63 runs scored last night. 63!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Must have been your fault Scotty. "That plate ain't round, Blue! If you'd give her some corners, she wouldn't have to tee it up for them!" ;)

Seriously, I'm about to head out for my first plate game since 2008. Two 1A teams, and we may have a problem finding strikes and outs, so I shouldn't laugh. :cool:

Welpe Tue Mar 22, 2011 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 742452)
Final score? I know that you are all champing...

I stopped reading at this point, I'm just shocked to see somebody else use the correct word! :D

Seriously, glad you're back but ouch...I'm surprised there wasn't a "rolling blackout" at around 8:00.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 22, 2011 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 742469)
Must have been your fault Scotty. "That plate ain't round, Blue! If you'd give her some corners, she wouldn't have to tee it up for them!" ;)

Of course, it would help if this wasn't his strike zone

http://forum.officiating.com/data:im...nt71c5bvCv/9k=

Skahtboi Wed Mar 23, 2011 01:23pm

Last night's game was so much better. (Yes, there is sarcasm in that statement.)

It only took half the time of the previous night's game, which oddly, made it seem like it was just zipping by.

Score of last night's game was 22-0. At least we only had to work 5 innings.

Hey Mike! I am just calling the strike zone that you taught me. Are you now telling me that it isn't the correct zone??? :D

Actually, though, the marathon 63 run game found me in the field. It was humorous, because with each batter, it seemed, I could see my partner slowly enlarging his zone. His final zone required the pitch to cross somewhere between heaven and hell and Florida and California. (Only a slight exaggeration on my part.) :rolleyes:

Skahtboi Wed Mar 23, 2011 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 742479)

Seriously, glad you're back but ouch...I'm surprised there wasn't a "rolling blackout" at around 8:00.

We were trying to find a way. Trust me!!!!! ;)

argodad Wed Mar 23, 2011 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 742923)

Score of last night's game was 22-0. At least we only had to work 5 innings.

:rolleyes:

Mine was similar. Don't know the final score ("something north of 25" to 0). Of course the home team had the zero, so we had to go five full innings. Home coach actually asked us before the game if we have the 15-after-3 run rule yet. She was hoping.

Skahtboi Wed Mar 23, 2011 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 742927)
Of course the home team had the zero, so we had to go five full innings...

Same with us! Isn't that the way it always is??? :rolleyes:

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Wed Mar 23, 2011 03:22pm

Monday is my first - a JV scrimmage - if the snow melts....

What will make this a literal JOY, is that NYS finally decided to join the rest of the softball world, and is making their kids throw from 43'...so...a bunch of kids throwing from 43' for the first time in a game situation........:eek:

One saving grace is that here, scrimmages cannot last more than two hours....also, no lineups exchanged...they must play at LEAST one double inning...run situations, etc, etc....so it actually may be a little fun. If only the home coach was not such a female dog..... ;)

And the preliminary weather forecast - sunny....but high of about 45....maybe :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 23, 2011 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 742923)
Hey Mike! I am just calling the strike zone that you taught me. Are you now telling me that it isn't the correct zone??? :D

You want to know the strike zone I teach?

Ever see the movie "Dave" when Kevin Kline was playing with the robotic arms? Well, my strike zone is about as wide as that fish he was talking about. :rolleyes:

PtotheB Thu Mar 24, 2011 01:34pm

My New Rule

Instead of a 10 or 15 run rule I would like to have an umpire mandated 10 error rule. As soon as the tenth error happens my partner and I get to walk off the field.

Skahtboi Thu Mar 24, 2011 01:39pm

Think about this. 85 total runs scored in 11 total innings. That has to be some kind of a record. :eek: