The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

In the 2003 ASA rule changes, I don't see any reference to the ASA 12" ball being max. 375 compression and .44 COR. Am I missing something? I would think that ASA would make the issue of the ball's compression and COR crystal clear, as the ball (specifically its compression value) is the most important factor in ensuring a safer game.

At a minimum, ASA has not made this clear -- or I have not looked in the right place. I heard this was passed during emergency legislation in the summer or fall, but I can't seem to find a clear statement on this anywhere. I assume that the 2003 rule book will be clear.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap
In the 2003 ASA rule changes, I don't see any reference to the ASA 12" ball being max. 375 compression and .44 COR. Am I missing something? I would think that ASA would make the issue of the ball's compression and COR crystal clear, as the ball (specifically its compression value) is the most important factor in ensuring a safer game.

At a minimum, ASA has not made this clear -- or I have not looked in the right place. I heard this was passed during emergency legislation in the summer or fall, but I can't seem to find a clear statement on this anywhere. I assume that the 2003 rule book will be clear.
This change was already passed last July under an "emergency status" vote. This was to give the manufacturers time to comply.

The compression is changed, but I understand they may retain the COR .470 for JO ball.

Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

softballs

Thanks, Mike. Will the compression and COR for slow pitch 375 and .44, respectively, be in the 2003 rule book.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: softballs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap
Thanks, Mike. Will the compression and COR for slow pitch 375 and .44, respectively, be in the 2003 rule book.
I can only assume so. After all, it was a rule change.

Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks Mike. The reason I am obsessed with this is that I am changing the ball that we use in a league that I help run to the new ASA ball, and I wanted written justification for doing it.

I know some hitters will complain -- likely the ones who have no business hitting HRs -- but ASA was right on the money safety-wise and I want to make sure to use that ball. I hope the leagues in which I umpire (ASA and USSSA) do the same. ASA showed great leadership in taking the lead on this issue.

[I just wish they would have included it in the recent press release along with the changes made in November, maybe with an asterisk noting that the changes were made in July].
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap
Thanks Mike. The reason I am obsessed with this is that I am changing the ball that we use in a league that I help run to the new ASA ball, and I wanted written justification for doing it.

I know some hitters will complain -- likely the ones who have no business hitting HRs -- but ASA was right on the money safety-wise and I want to make sure to use that ball. I hope the leagues in which I umpire (ASA and USSSA) do the same. ASA showed great leadership in taking the lead on this issue.

[I just wish they would have included it in the recent press release along with the changes made in November, maybe with an asterisk noting that the changes were made in July].
I have been told there are no USSSA rule changes this year.

What type of league are you helping with?

Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

league

Mike,

I'm disappointed that USSSA did not switch to 375/.44 COR. Oh well.

As far as the league I referred to, I play in and also informally assist the Commissioner (which was my job the past 2 years) in a men's, slow pitch rec league in Atlanta. It's a private, slow-pitch league, much like a church league, and is about D or E level (or worse), though there are a sampling of B and C quality players. None of the teams play outside the league. VERY recreational, though some players also take it quite seriously. We use most of ASA's rules, with some variations -- I know you probably wouldn't like the variations.

Steve
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: league

Quote:
Originally posted by Tap
Mike,

I'm disappointed that USSSA did not switch to 375/.44 COR. Oh well.

As far as the league I referred to, I play in and also informally assist the Commissioner (which was my job the past 2 years) in a men's, slow pitch rec league in Atlanta. It's a private, slow-pitch league, much like a church league, and is about D or E level (or worse), though there are a sampling of B and C quality players. None of the teams play outside the league. VERY recreational, though some players also take it quite seriously. We use most of ASA's rules, with some variations -- I know you probably wouldn't like the variations.

Steve
The reason I asked was because JO kept the COR.470 with 375 compression.

Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

.44 COR

Going to come right out and show my ignorance here, what is JO ball, Junior Olympics?
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Re: .44 COR

Quote:
Originally posted by Attemi
Going to come right out and show my ignorance here, what is JO ball, Junior Olympics?
Yes
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, I was just about to send the twenty dozen .44's back (I ordered .47's for my intramural league) when I did a search and found this site. I am glad I did, and I look forward to poking around on the forum more.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Attemi
I did a search and found this site. I am glad I did, and I look forward to poking around on the forum more.
Welcome!
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Always a new one for Tom....

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Rule 3 section C. 2003 rule book ASA

Quote:
softballs

It is in the rule book under the above sections

Don

sorry didnt see the date on the original post till I already posted ths message

[Edited by oppool on Aug 6th, 2003 at 08:23 PM]