The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   illegal pitches in college (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/63478-illegal-pitches-college.html)

RKBUmp Sun Feb 27, 2011 01:04pm

illegal pitches in college

Thought they were cracking down on illegal pitchers in college? Sitting here watching a d1 game and pitcher is leaping and replanting and has not been called once.

KJUmp Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 734762)
Thought they were cracking down on illegal pitchers in college? Sitting here watching a d1 game and pitcher is leaping and replanting and has not been called once.

What schools were playing?

RKBUmp Sun Feb 27, 2011 08:31pm

Sam Houston and central Arkansas. What's really strange is on Friday I think they called a combined 9 illegal pitches on the 2 teams and then sat and Sun nothing.

SNIPERBBB Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 734865)
Sam Houston and central Arkansas. What's really strange is on Friday I think they called a combined 9 illegal pitches on the 2 teams and then sat and Sun nothing.

Maybe their arms got tired?

MichaelVA2000 Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:40pm

Quote:

Was the same crew umpiring Sat. & Sun?

RKBUmp Mon Feb 28, 2011 08:35am

Yes it was the same crew at all the games I was watching. Have a couple of photos from saturday I took, will have to figure out how to post them. Had camera already packed away for flight on sunday so no pics from that game.

HugoTafurst Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23am

Quote:

Same pitchers?
Sounds like a conscious decision to not make the call.

Sometimes things don't always happen as planned.

Not saying it's right or wrong.... just saying.

MichaelVA2000 Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 735042)
Same pitchers?

Sounds like a conscious decision to not make the call.
Sometimes things always happen as planned.

Many of us have been on the receiving end of that conversation.

RKBUmp Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39am

Sam Houston Pitcher
072.jpg picture by compchassi - Photobucket

UCA pitcher
058.jpg picture by compchassi - Photobucket

Sunday pitcher for UCA was completely legal. Sam Houston pitcher was leaping out about a foot in front of plate, replanting on the left hand lane line and then stepping in and throwing. Wish I had pictures of her.

KJUmp Mon Feb 28, 2011 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 734976)
Yes it was the same crew at all the games I was watching. Have a couple of photos from saturday I took, will have to figure out how to post them. Had camera already packed away for flight on sunday so no pics from that game.

Not entirely the same crew, only Bains and Kearney worked both games.
Sat.2/26 Central AK U v. Sam Houston: Crew- HP Kearney 1B Bains 3B Mann
Sun.2/27 Central AK U v. Sam Houston: Crew- HP Douglas 1B Kearney 3B Bains

topper Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09am

Am I the only one who thinks it's poor form to post the names of umpires whose judgement has been criticized by a spectator and whose integrity has been called into question by a poster without a clue?

CecilOne Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 735479)
Am I the only one who thinks it's poor form to post the names of umpires whose judgement has been criticized by a spectator and whose integrity has been called into question by a poster without a clue?

NO, not just you.

HugoTafurst Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:22pm

Quote:

Seeing the names took me aback also.
You (and Cecil) are not the only ones.

UMP 64 Tue Mar 01, 2011 01:29pm

illegal pitches in college

:mad:Very unprofessional to post any names on any website. We are a furtinity and should act and post accordingly.
NO NAMES in the future!:eek:

IRISHMAFIA Tue Mar 01, 2011 01:29pm

Anyone here ever work games that were just outright problematic for all parties involved?

Anyone ever have a UIC tell them to ignore or ease up on some issues for the purpose of getting through a game?

I would not expect this at the college level, but unless you were there and included in the event, you don't know what happened.

Mentioning the crews may not be good form, but I'm not overly worried about it as we just don't know what may have transpired. I doubt quite seriously that the crew did not discuss their games, what was being seen and what was called.

Big Slick Tue Mar 01, 2011 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 735575)
Anyone here ever work games that were just outright problematic for all parties involved?

Anyone ever have a UIC tell them to ignore or ease up on some issues for the purpose of getting through a game?

I would not expect this at the college level, but unless you were there and included in the event, you don't know what happened.

Mentioning the crews may not be good form, but I'm not overly worried about it as we just don't know what may have transpired. I doubt quite seriously that the crew did not discuss their games, what was being seen and what was called.

Not to mention the pictures are inconclusive at best. If you are going to play "gotcha" at least take the pictures from a side angle.

CecilOne Tue Mar 01, 2011 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 735253)
Not entirely the same crew, only 2 worked both games.
Sat.2/26 Central AK U v. Sam Houston: Crew- Sun.2/27 Central AK U v. Sam Houston: Crew-

Please edit out the names. :(

Andy Tue Mar 01, 2011 02:38pm

Quote:

Topper - RKBUMP is not a "spectator" or a "poster without a clue" as you stated. He is a respected umpire that posts on this board from time to time, which you have obviously missed, usually good, thought provoking questions.

Suffice it to say that he was at this game to watch one of the players he knows. I am confident that he knows what constitutes an illegal pitch. In this particular instance, his judgement did not agree with the umpires on the field...ever been in that situation?????

I, also, have concerns about posting the names of the umpires involved, but on the other hand, I'm sure they are readily available if you wanted to search the net enough.

topper Tue Mar 01, 2011 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 735602)
Topper - RKBUMP is not a "spectator" or a "poster without a clue" as you stated. He is a respected umpire that posts on this board from time to time, which you have obviously missed, usually good, thought provoking questions.

He absolutely WAS a spectator. Being a respected umpire or board contributor doesn't change that fact.

BTW, the "poster without a clue" comment was not referring to him.

Quote:

Suffice it to say that he was at this game to watch one of the players he knows. I am confident that he knows what constitutes an illegal pitch. In this particular instance, his judgement did not agree with the umpires on the field...ever been in that situation?????

I'm CERTAIN the officials working those game know what constitutes an IP.

Of course I've been in that situation. SPECTATORS often disagree with umpires. I have a daughter playing college ball and when I am at her games as a SPECTATOR, I disagree with judgement and certainly take note of poor mechanics, but I don't feel the need to comment at the game, nor on an umpire forum.

Quote:

I, also, have concerns about posting the names of the umpires involved, but on the other hand, I'm sure they are readily available if you wanted to search the net enough.

Good. Then let those who want to know go search.

youngump Tue Mar 01, 2011 03:18pm

Quote:

It seems to me that if the names are readily available (e.g., college softball officials names go in the box score it took me less than a minute to find them) then it doesn't hurt to mention them. You'll see this all the time on the Baseball, Football, and Basketball forums. I agree we needn't mention high school names where it isn't a matter of record.
________
Live Sex Webshows

topper Tue Mar 01, 2011 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 735615)
It seems to me that if the names are readily available (e.g., college softball officials names go in the box score it took me less than a minute to find them) then it doesn't hurt to mention them. You'll see this all the time on the Baseball, Football, and Basketball forums. I agree we needn't mention high school names where it isn't a matter of record.

If you don't see the problem some people would have with having their name mentioned as someone who may be purposely not calling a (supposed) illegal pitch, then I won't bother trying. Don't get me wrong, having spent some time with at least one of the crew members, I can almost guarantee he could give a rat's a$$ about what's said about him on an online forum.

I agree about the HS names though. If I were to start posting the name of every poor HS official I see, I'd quickly have more posts that IRISH.

youngump Tue Mar 01, 2011 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 735623)
If you don't see the problem some people would have with having their name mentioned as someone who may be purposely not calling a (supposed) illegal pitch, then I won't bother trying. Don't get me wrong, having spent some time with at least one of the crew members, I can almost guarantee he could give a rat's a$$ about what's said about him on an online forum.

I agree about the HS names though. If I were to start posting the name of every poor HS official I see, I'd quickly have more posts that IRISH.

You misunderstand my point. Whether you mention the names or not, once you mention the particular game you have identified the umpires. If you have an issue with calling out specific umpires, that seems fair enough but to achieve that you have to not mention the specific game because once you've done that you have identified the umpires in question.
________
SexyAngel4u cam

SNIPERBBB Tue Mar 01, 2011 06:47pm

You may have something with picture 2 as its hard to drag away from the pitching plate without the toe down.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43pm

To those of you that may not recognize the names, one is a multiple time D1 WCWS umpire. Not saying every one that has ever been there is someone I feel is completely on the top of our profession, but that one is one of them that I do.

ronald Thu Mar 03, 2011 06:26pm

the forum is a public area, the game takes place in a public area, the umps are paid professionals in a public area. no problem with names. goes with the territory.

topper Fri Mar 04, 2011 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 736369)
the forum is a public area, the game takes place in a public area, the umps are paid professionals in a public area. no problem with names. goes with the territory.

OK, so I guess you'd feel the same way if this were posted:

"I was up in VA on business and decided to catch a HS game one evening. Worse PU I've seen in a while. Slot/timing/zone were horrible. No movement away from plate. To top it all off, his hat was turned backwards. Come to find out it was _________ ___________, a.k.a. "ronald" from this forum. By reading his posts, I thought he was better than that. I will upload a few pics shortly."

Bandit Fri Mar 04, 2011 02:01pm

Names

No problem with being mentioned. Big girl sport. Gig boy umpires. Maybe it helps create a learning attitude. Names of players have been mentioned on this board. Why are the names of officials special?

CajunNewBlue Fri Mar 04, 2011 03:19pm

hrmmm i dont find the pictures inconclusive... informative at best.

DaveASA/FED Fri Mar 04, 2011 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 736602)
No problem with being mentioned. Big girl sport. Gig boy umpires.

I assume you mean Big Boy umpires......well #1 I am offended you called us umpires big (I resemble that remark), #2 I am offended for all the female umpires out there, they are Big Girl Umpires......wait they are Adult Umpires, never call a woman big even if you meant it in a nice way!!! :D

SC Ump Sat Mar 05, 2011 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 735592)
Please edit out the names. :(

Oops. If they are edited out, you still have them in your quote.

SC Ump Sat Mar 05, 2011 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 734762)
Thought they were cracking down on illegal pitchers in college?

After they didn't renew the contract of the folks that suggested a crack down on illegal pitches, I was thinking it would be free-form pitching this year.

(P.S. Unless you know something about the pitcher's green card status, I believe it is just the pitches that are illegal, not the pitchers themselves. ;))

MichaelVA2000 Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Ump (Post 736768)
(P.S. Unless you know something about the pitcher's green card status, I believe it is just the pitches that are illegal, not the pitchers themselves. ;))

You never know, they my be "packin" without a permit:eek:.

CecilOne Mon Mar 07, 2011 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Ump (Post 736766)
Oops. If they are edited out, you still have them in your quote.

Thanks, fixed. :o