The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

From spysoftball "Missed Bases. A runner who misses a base when advancing, or, who leaves a base too soon on a fly ball, may not return to that base."

Am I missing something or our we going to have a lot more outs in ASA softball next year. Is this saying that a runner that goes half-way between 1st and 2nd on a fly ball that is caught are not going to be allowed to go back and tag. Or a runner that misses 2nd and takes one step past before going back to 2nd is out on a appeal??

Please tell me I am missing something on this or is this talking DEAD BAll situations and putting the rule back to an old form???

Don
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

As I understand it (from Mike's earlier post on this board), it is talking about base awards. Spysoftball was overly brief in their description.

If a runner has missed a base, and at the end of the play is then awarded a base (e.g. ball goes out of play), he must return to retouch before he advances to the next base on the award. Once he touches the next base on the award, it is too late to return to retouch.

This, however, is just my understanding. I've seen nothing "official."
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question Gotta Believe there is something missing.

Have not looked at next years changes, but I gotta believe something is missing or left out.
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

The one thing that all of us need to remember is that the rule changes have not yet been penned to the paper (rule book) much less the ink is probably not dry. Every coach and umpire that keeps up with ASA news is wringing their hands and collectively sighing. Just check some of the other softball boards.
Whatever is done is done, and when the rules are officially in the book, we all will have to live with them. ASA is notoriously a changing mind.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sat Nov 16, 2002, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Gotta Believe there is something missing.

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Have not looked at next years changes, but I gotta believe something is missing or left out.
Regarding the returning to missed/left too soon bases, there is nothing missing.

It is actually nothing more than a clarification which gives the umpire direction on when the runner can no longer return to touch a missed base or a base left too soon and they may honor an appeal after a runner has been awarded bases.

It will probably be self-explanatory once it is placed in the proper context in next year's book.