The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Smile

We just finished up a couple of weeks ago, have taken some time off and got away from the game. Our equipment has been cleaned and put away, our clothes washed, pressed and hung neatly. The rule book(s) removed from our cars and equipment bags and placed in strategic areas of our house for future study(yeah right!!!). Our calendars have been (over) filled for next spring and summer. We even discussed briefly about another Florida trip this spring and when we need to make our yearly contacts.

The Burning question is, how do you all of you cope with winter and the 4-5 months away from the game we love?????

Do you work winter(indoor) ball??? Do nothing????? Work other sports????

We are interested!!!

Kellerumps
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

I've got one more clinic coming up, so I'm not quite done just yet. The van is unloaded and the third bedroom has a whole lot less room. The off-season is when I spend a good bit of time in the rule books - when the season starts I do not have enough time to study them.

Steve M
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps

The Burning question is, how do you all of you cope with winter and the 4-5 months away from the game we love?????

Kellerumps
Move to Phoenix.....

We still have two more weekend tournaments before the end of the year. The last one will be the first weekend of December. Then about five weeks off until the January kickoff tournament and HS Ball starts toward the end of February.

Not to rub salt, but we need more umpires here!
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

Well, it doesn't get THAT warm here in the Big 'A', but my daughter's travel team practices outdoors if it is over 45 degrees, and will spend 8 weeks in the cages come January. She is playing 18U 'A' this year and we think she has qualified for 2 teams. Now the dilemna is, which team to pick!
Andy, if I'm still umpiring when I retire, I may just move to Phoenix and join the Cactus group. They're a great group, and the weather is mostly fine 12 months for great ball playing.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Andy,
Now that sounds tempting. If you can find a job for me & the wife.................. maybe

Steve M
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kellerumps

Kellerumps wrote:

Where I am from, East Texas, Beaumont/Houston area, we pretty
much work year round. Although the rains have really hampered
us of late. I lost four tournaments in five weeks. Did manage to
take part in one this weekend. Have four more scheduled in Novement
and December. Two each month. Currently most of the ones that I am
taking part in are AFA, ASA, USSSA, and NSA. Past weekend was an AFA
Qualifier. There is only one scheduled for January, then we take a
small break, because in February, NFHS begins here.

So come on down, or up whichever the case.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I still have a couple of more tournaments left to work here in North Texas. I will then have about 7 weeks off before it all starts again. And in that time there will be plenty of clinics and meetings to attend, so softball is not ever very far away.

Scott

(Of course...we have also been having the same rain problem that Glen mentioned. I lost three tournaments in a four week period.)
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Phoenix sounds like a place to be ...

How does everyone chean up their equiptment if they are going to put it away for a while I can't seem to get mine totally refreshed for the spring

Bob
NIF
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Andy,
Now that sounds tempting. If you can find a job for me & the wife.................. maybe

Steve M
Steve,

Why not just one for the wife. I've heard it said that it is a sorry woman that can't keep up at least one man! Then you'd have more time to call.

I'm pretty much finished here in North Carolina untill clinics start in January/February. 258 games - 103 fastpitch softball, 155 baseball. 14 championship games, two semifinal games in NCCAA State Softball Tournament (private Christian schools), one 3rd round 4A (top high school level here) SB playoff NCHSAA , Bronco BB Sectional championship plate, and made it to the quarterfinals (14 &u)at the Pony National Softball.

Four ejections (one each, head coach, assistant coach, scorekeeper, and player-NO. Not in the same game, guys). Made 3 rules mistakes, all in baseball (one balk that shouldn't have been, wouldn't allow same courtsey runner for F1 and F2 in a USSSA game, and let a team play shorthanded in a Pony game. I won't make those mistakes again.)

All in all, It was a good year. Time to go deer hunting.

Roger Greene

[Edited by Roger Greene on Nov 12th, 2002 at 10:10 AM]
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Unhappy Friend

Roger,

Good Luck on your hunting. However, shoot one of these
and not one of these . I
have a friend that did just that....

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

To escape softball withdrawl, I come here! Plus, I am certified to officiate volleyball and basketball. This season, I have been too busy playing volleyball to put my official's certifications to use. But, softball is always on my mind....but only a little bit--not much "mind" to spare! The little gerbil can only run so fast on that wheel, you know?

Diana

Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question I wonder if our Paths have crossed......

Diana,

North Central Indiana Huh????? We are registered in both Indiana and Illinois for ASA and call FP womens in Indiana and Mens FP in Illinois. It's a long story as to why?????

In any case, did you work any of the State FP series that took place outside of Indianapolis this past summer???? How about some of the ASA meetings???? Maybe the umpire clinic(and party afterword) held by J.J. and T.S. in Carmel Indiana?????

If so, what a small world.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

This last summer was my first summer doing FP softball--Police Athletic League (PAL) for girls 9-14. It was fun--I did take a foul tip or two off my face mask, and I'm pretty sure I'll be back next summer to give it another go.

This was my second season doing slow pitch. I did the Men's D torunament in Kokomo. Other than that, I don't get too many oportunities to do tournaments since I prefer to play ball as much as I can. Also, hubby and I do a lot of camping.

I did not go to school last year, but I am due for ASA school this spring. I'm looking forward to it.

It's a small world after all....shouldn't have said that--have this image of singing electronical Disney munchkins that will be stuck in my head for hours now, damn it!

Diana

Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

I thought I'd let you know that DD Renee committed to an 18U 'A' team that has a former Div I (forgot where)player that coached Div II (Nicolls State) to the NCAA playoffs, and has coached JO for 6 years now. Her won/lost record is 511-104. She also has helped 20 girls attain scholarships. Her assistant is a 2 time All American from Kennesaw State (here in Metro). Plus, no relatives on the team! This will be a first for us and we're really looking forward to 2003. Their website is up, but doesn't have any postings on it yet. I know that a few of you do look at Renee's web sites, so here it is:

http://www.eteamz.com/GaXtreme18Phillips/

I hope everyone had a marvelous Thanksgiving! Joel, take care of your back.

Fondly,
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Fazakerley
Play Overseas?

I have recently recuited two men from the states to play here in New Zealand & they have taken the advantage of playing with some of the best softballers in the world.

They came here to play softball & in saying that are enjoying every moment of it.

Once they are here, Hopefully, there is a job here for them.

I equally excited to get more men & women playing with International players, much like the
New Zealand BLACK SOX - Current World Champions &
WHITE SOX - New Zealand National Womens Team.