The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Used the Millie line (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/59188-used-millie-line.html)

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 28, 2010 02:20pm

Used the Millie line

It rained everywhere in Houston, so when I was called to work in podunk middle of nowhere, I took it. Didn't know I was working for a crap league with crap teams, crap umpires, and a crap UIC. Oh well.

At least I got to work with a partner all 3 games that I knew who also lost his games to weather.

UIC, before the day started gathered everyeone around and said, "I know a couple of you are new to the area (just me and my partner). Round here we treat the teams with respect. We've got solid coaches that understand the game (Ok, this turned out to be COMPLETELY untrue as I got to teach the infield fly rule to one coach who acted like it was a foreign language, among other nonsense ... no one advanced past first on a walk/passed ball "because it's against ASA". OK, whatever). If they come out and want you to ask for help, you ask for help. Irregardless." (Yes ... I know that's not a word).

R1, 1 out, very easy grounder to F4 who throws to 2nd for 1, F6 throws to first for 2, I bang the out. Coach runs out (didn't ask for time) and tells me (didn't ask) to check with my partner and then stands there with his arms folded. I asked him what I was supposed to check on - did the fielder step off, bobble, what? "No ... I just thing she beat it."

Shaking my head internally, I go to partner and say, "Coach things my eyelids are jammed - I need a live rooster. So ... what do you want to get Millie for a wedding present." He says, "Candlesticks always make a nice gift... maybe some silverware." I signal the out again and we move to position.

Other fun moments of the day - I think I heard "One base on an overthrow" about 10 times, and coaches of other teams even had their girls return a couple of times while the ball was still live (was waiting for one to happen with the ball in the circle for a LBR, but it never happened). Had 1 catcher that kept framing the pitch when it was about a foot outside. And had that age-old 8U play where the ball goes straight down and rests by the plate as PU points fair and no one moved... Oh, by the way, these were 16U games!!!!

Did you know that the batters box was foul? The whole thing. Wow.

CajunNewBlue Tue Sep 28, 2010 02:45pm

I always thought Millie was kinda hot. :D

Skahtboi Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 694126)

Definitely!

Welpe Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:36pm

Oh boy, I need to get in on this. Now you've got me wondering just where this way.

I used a similar line several years ago in similar circumstances.

Coach demanded I went for help as the PU...on a play at the plate where I judged the catch dropped the ball and did not complete the tag. So I strolled slowly out to the BU.

"Jim, how are you doing today?"

"Oh I'm fine. Weather's nice."

"Yeah it is. OK great, I just wanted to check on you."

I turn around and repeat "RUNNER'S SAFE!"

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 694137)
Oh boy, I need to get in on this. Now you've got me wondering just where this way.

About halfway to SA, right on 10, before LaGrange. (Yes, ZZTop fans, LaGrange is a real town!)

okla21fan Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:48pm

When I saw the thread title, I was thinking there might be a new mechanic or term for walking the line in the A slot. :p

Welpe Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:50pm

Hey don't have a forum member from LaGrange on here?

MD Longhorn Tue Sep 28, 2010 03:53pm

Rumour sprendin' a-'round in that Texas town 'bout that shack outside La Grange and you know what I'm talkin' about. Just let me know if you wanna go
to that home out on the range. They gotta lotta nice girls. Ah!

Have mercy.

Well, I hear it's fine if you got the time, and the ten to get yourself in.
A hmm, hmm. And I hear it's tight most ev'ry night, but now I might be mistaken.
hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm.

Have mercy.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 28, 2010 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 694126)

So did half the Carolina league :rolleyes:

JEL Tue Sep 28, 2010 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 694145)
Hey don't have a forum member from LaGrange on here?

Yeah!

Two of us! But we are from Georgia!

Skahtboi Wed Sep 29, 2010 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 694143)
About halfway to SA, right on 10, before LaGrange. (Yes, ZZTop fans, LaGrange is a real town!)

The use of the word "town" to apply to LaGrange is stretching it just a bit. "Watering hole" or "stop along the road" would be a more apt description.

I would call a place like Katy barely a town! :)

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 694236)
The use of the word "town" to apply to LaGrange is stretching it just a bit. "Watering hole" or "stop along the road" would be a more apt description.

I would call a place like Katy barely a town! :)

Like Sherman? :)

Seriously though, Katy is really just a suburb - no separation between Houston and Katy. Just a town? 100k population would beg to differ.

LaGrange? Other than the "nice-girls-ah!", yeah, it's a gas station and a stop light.

Welpe Wed Sep 29, 2010 09:32am

Katy proper has about what...17,000 people? The Katy area has around 250,000.

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 694251)
Katy proper has about what...17,000 people? The Katy area has around 250,000.

Katy "proper" includes much further east toward Houston (and slightly further north to Cypress's border) than it did in 2000. Interesting to know what the 2010 census will show. Katy magazine quoted the anticipated 100k number recently (as Katy proper, not the Katy area)

robbie Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47am

My 2005 Rand McNally road atlas shows Katy at 12,430.