The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   UT v Ariz (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58296-ut-v-ariz.html)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 03, 2010 06:39pm

UT v Ariz

Arizona pitcher called for 2 IPs already on first batter.

Not only is she leaping, but replay showed her non-pivot foot not in contact with PP.

KJUmp Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 680065)
Arizona pitcher called for 2 IPs already on first batter.

Not only is she leaping, but replay showed her non-pivot foot not in contact with PP.

She's just got called for her 3rd IP, BR grounded out, IP call put her on 1B.
Great camera shot from CF, nothing cheap about the IP, it was a big time leap.

Bang they just IP'd her again...#4.

PSUchem Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:41pm

Gotta love how the announcer quoted Dee well, and gave a good explanation on the umpire's side and the point of emphasis...

And then go on to bash the umpires for only getting their "point of emphasis" in March. Well, how on earth were the players supposed to adjust that late into the season? *sarcasm*

Boo hoo, Candrea.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 680079)
She's just got called for her 3rd IP, BR grounded out, IP call put her on 1B.
Great camera shot from CF, nothing cheap about the IP, it was a big time leap.

Bang they just IP'd her again...#4.

And the replays are showing the leap is clear.

What isn't clear, at least to me, why Candrea is arguing instead of getting someone else in the game. It took 6 IPs before they even got someone up in the bullpen

KJUmp Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:48pm

Any thoughts as to why all three umpires were out at the circle with Candrea, the pitching coach and several AZ players after the bases clearing double in the 3rd inning?

PSUchem Thu Jun 03, 2010 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 680084)
Any thoughts as to why all three umpires were out at the circle with Candrea, the pitching coach and several AZ players after the bases clearing double in the 3rd inning?

Not a clue. I figured it would be a pitching change.

darkside Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:49pm

Candrea's outcry over the IP's.

Arizona's Candrea lashes out at WCWS umpires - USATODAY.com

vcblue Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:49am

It's time for Candrea to get out of the game.

KJUmp Fri Jun 04, 2010 04:45am

IMO, John Kurnat and the rest of the crew were not trying to take over AZ/TN game, and neither was the crew of FL/UCLA game. They were umpiring the game the way they were told to umpire the game by the NCAA WCWS staff and UIC.

Candrea should direct his comments at the NCAA, not the umpires. It was a cheap shot at Kurnat and the crew. Each time ESPN showed a shot of Candrea in Kurnat's ear and/or face about the IP's calls, Kurnat handled it in a calm professional manner. IMO Kurnat displayed integrity, level headneses, and guts.
I learned a lot just watching how Kurnat and the crew handled the whole. situation.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 04, 2010 07:06am

Same old ****! No argument over the rule, just whining because the COACHES' teams are being held to the standard THEY set.

Again, not one word over whether any of the calls were incorrect, but simply called. IOW, THE UMPIRES ARE DOING THEIR JOB!!!

Never knew Candrea to be a whiner. Guess I missed that part of his lacking character.

argodad Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:23pm

"I'm not making excuses why we got beat tonight."

Well, yeah Mike, you are. :cool:

ronald Fri Jun 04, 2010 04:45pm

well from the article it appears that some umps in the pac 10 did not do there job during the regular season as the pitcher implies by her statement of never having been called for an ip. can not believe her as i find it hard to believe that ips were only called in the sec, big ten and acc.

so if any of you pac 10 guys know if she is fibbing. please let us know.

poor sport by that guy.

SethPDX Fri Jun 04, 2010 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 680270)
well from the article it appears that some umps in the pac 10 did not do there job during the regular season as the pitcher implies by her statement of never having been called for an ip. can not believe her as i find it hard to believe that ips were only called in the sec, big ten and acc.

so if any of you pac 10 guys know if she is fibbing. please let us know.

poor sport by that guy.

Well...the Arizona pitcher *may* be right. :eek: Then again maybe she just hasn't lost a strike or an out because of the IP.
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sport.../teamcume.html

She has 9 for the entire season but in conference games she was not charged with any (IPs are under the "BK" column because the NCAA can't be bothered to make a stats program for softball). Of course, as we know now that does not include the IPs in which the pitch was called a ball anyway. For example, there were at least 6 IPs in the game we're talking about but the box score only shows 3.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 04, 2010 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 680270)

I believe it was repeatedly stated that Fowler was called for an IP six times during the season, yet Arizona's web site has nine "balks" listed in her seasonal stats.

3SPORT Sat Jun 05, 2010 08:53am

Interesting enough the plate umpire was Mike Bartling, a Pac 10 umpire. I am sure there was discussion in the pre-game about the pitchers and any IP's called during the season.
Heck at that level of a tournament they may also have video to go over with the umpires to help in identifying the legal and illegal pitches of certain pitchers.

To the coaches:
Careful what you whine for!:D