The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Nationals (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58252-asa-nationals.html)

NCASAUmp Fri May 28, 2010 07:23pm

ASA Nationals

Okay, I'll ask it. Who has their assignments, and where ya headin'?

vcblue Sat May 29, 2010 09:09am

USA/ASA 18A in Hemet, CA. Plus 18G SoCal Regional and Champions Cup

Stu Clary Sat May 29, 2010 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 679187)
USA/ASA 18A in Hemet, CA. Plus 18G SoCal Regional and Champions Cup

Nice!

Andy Sun May 30, 2010 11:43pm

Just got done working an 18uA ASA qualifier this weekend.

Got my contract last week for ASA Men's 50 and Over in Prescott, AZ in September.

3afan Mon May 31, 2010 06:57am

14U in Killeen, TX ..... but a foot injury may cause me to opt out (dammit!)

RKBUmp Mon May 31, 2010 07:43am

12U B in Las Cruces, NM

NCASAUmp Tue Jun 01, 2010 06:23am

I'll be doing my own little part in the Men's Class E SP in Johnson City, TN.

RadioBlue Tue Jun 01, 2010 08:04am

ASA/USA 14U @ Moline, IL

Welpe Tue Jun 01, 2010 09:21am

Congrats to all of you!

surf24 Tue Jun 01, 2010 09:41am

I'm not going to umpire..........I'm going to play. :D

ronald Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09am

got nothing. have no idea. guess i need to change associations.

VA-Blu Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46am

ASA Nationals

18U Gold in Marietta, GA.

MichaelVA2000 Tue Jun 01, 2010 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 679501)
got nothing. have no idea. guess i need to change associations.

I can help with that. Let me know.;)

KJUmp Tue Jun 01, 2010 06:07pm

Congratulations and good luck to all....especially anyone who's going to their first national.

NDblue Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:23am

1st Nat this year. Men's "E" SP in Bismarck, ND.

scottk_61 Wed Jun 02, 2010 01:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 679627)
1st Nat this year. Men's "E" SP in Bismarck, ND.

WHINER BALL!:eek:

just kidding, you will have a great time.

NCASAUmp Wed Jun 02, 2010 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61 (Post 679628)
WHINER BALL!:eek:

just kidding, you will have a great time.

I had a great time last year in Salem for the D&E Nats. Some pretty decent competition all around, and VERY little whining.

Andy Mon Jun 14, 2010 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 679324)
Just got done working an 18uA ASA qualifier this weekend.

Got my contract last week for ASA Men's 50 and Over in Prescott, AZ in September.

Well, now I have been moved to the Men's 40 and over FP in Prescott, AZ in August. My understanding is that Dave Epperson will be the UIC.

ronald Wed Jun 16, 2010 04:10pm

i still do not know about my nationals, but i am going to a gold qualifier in 10ish days.

Steve M Wed Jun 16, 2010 07:36pm

Good luck & best wishes to all
Folks in district 4 in Pa do not get the opportunity to work nationals.
So, y'all have some envy from me.

wadeintothem Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18pm

USA/ASA 18A in Hemet, CA. I know I'm doing the 18G territorial in roseville. Not sure about any so cal quals but maybe.

3afan Thu Jun 17, 2010 05:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 679333)
14U in Killeen, TX ..... but a foot injury may cause me to opt out (dammit!)

looks like I'll make it to Killeen ...

okla21fan Thu Jun 17, 2010 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 682282)
looks like I'll make it to Killeen ...

Thats maybe the best news I have heard all month!

(btw, 'mrs okla21fan' is going to the 16U A in College Station. I like to think it because I 'taught her everything she knows'! lol But even after 20+ years of umpiring and 20+ years as a catcher behind the plate for me, her zone is 100 times more consistent than mine :p )

drwells1 Thu Jun 17, 2010 09:45am

okla21fan I just finished doing a qualifier for the 16u at college station. I know that mrs oklafan21 will see some good ball if the teams that showed up and the team that won are any indication. BTW I am doing a mens class c national in tupelo ms.

SRW Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05am

Girls' A Western 18-U FP, Hayward, CA.

gumpire Tue Jul 06, 2010 05:38pm

Coed C, Portland, OR

1st National ever.....I'm excited!!!!

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 06, 2010 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumpire (Post 684641)
Coed C, Portland, OR

1st National ever.....I'm excited!!!!

Congrats! Hope it's a great one for you. :)

DaveASA/FED Thu Jul 08, 2010 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 682272)
USA/ASA 18A in Hemet, CA. I know I'm doing the 18G territorial in roseville. Not sure about any so cal quals but maybe.

Wade,
Looks like I will see you there.

wadeintothem Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 684909)
Wade,
Looks like I will see you there.

Sweet. Should be miserable in an awesome way. :D ;). Gotta love the desert in August.

gdc25 Tue Jul 27, 2010 09:57am

Finally got my assignment..

Men's Class B Slow Pitch West, Dallas Texas.

My first B Nat'l. Yeah, I'm kinda stoked.

PSUchem Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19am

Girls' B Eastern 14-U FP, York, PA. Also 1st nat'l for me.

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdc25 (Post 686741)

Congrats! Hope you have a great time!

Is anybody coming to Raleigh for the 18U this weekend?

Umpteenth Tue Jul 27, 2010 02:15pm

Quote:

When and where is this tourney? I'd like to watch.

JEL Tue Jul 27, 2010 02:34pm

Stuff happens!

Was a last minute fill in for a 10UB territory in Gadsden, AL. It folded at the last second!

Was going to be co-ordinater at the JO 10U-18U SlowPitch, It folded as well!

I'm close to Marietta (gold). I may just get to watch this year.

gdc25 Tue Jul 27, 2010 09:12pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpteenth (Post 686777)
When and where is this tourney? I'd like to watch.

According to the link on the ASA National website it's being held at Kiest Park. Sept. 3 - Sept. 6

Dallas Softball Managers Association (DSMA) - adult softball leagues for the City of Dallas, Texas

3afan Thu Jul 29, 2010 08:29am

got "unselected" from my Nat'l ... seems they didnt have as many teams as expected .... sucks

NCASAUmp Thu Jul 29, 2010 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 686999)
got "unselected" from my Nat'l ... seems they didnt have as many teams as expected .... sucks

Ouch... That stinks, man. I think there may be a few Nats that will share the same experience.

Scooby Sun Aug 01, 2010 02:15pm

u18 Northern Nationals. In Novi Michigan.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Aug 01, 2010 03:47pm

F.Y.I.

Women's Major FP in Stratford, CT was cancelled due to lack of teams.

Maybe it is just me, but I think the higher levels of adult FP are going to follow the path of SP Super and Major and "elite" themselves into extinction.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Aug 01, 2010 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 687451)
F.Y.I.

Women's Major FP in Stratford, CT was cancelled due to lack of teams.

Maybe it is just me, but I think the higher levels of adult FP are going to follow the path of SP Super and Major and "elite" themselves into extinction.

To me, that's karma.

Last year's Women's Major (that I was assigned to) also failed due to a lack of teams. The cause (according to teams that were contacted) was that Stratford Brakettes held a "National" caliber tournament, and the teams weren't willing to travel a second time to Auburn, Alabama.

The few teams that had signed up for Auburn vowed they wouldn't go to Stratford this year. I guess they followed through (I know of one for sure).

IRISHMAFIA Sun Aug 01, 2010 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 687472)
To me, that's karma.

Last year's Women's Major (that I was assigned to) also failed due to a lack of teams. The cause (according to teams that were contacted) was that Stratford Brakettes held a "National" caliber tournament, and the teams weren't willing to travel a second time to Auburn, Alabama.

The few teams that had signed up for Auburn vowed they wouldn't go to Stratford this year. I guess they followed through (I know of one for sure).

Same "excuse", they didn't want to spend two weekends in Stratford which was awarded the tournament by Special Events due to the lack of bidders last year.

They had four teams and it dropped to two. From what I can gather, the Brakettes and local ASA association are at odds over the format, as if there is much you can do which so few teams. OTOH, the ASA folks in CT have been there for quite a while so I don't know what changed in the last couple years.

NCBBUmp Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:14pm

So. National

I just finished the 18u Gold/Class A So. National in Raleigh, NC. Combined between the two divisions there were only 30 teams. They played a two day tournament over a span of four days.

3afan Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:23am

got a call last night ... "hey can you go to College Station (TX) to work the 16U-A?" ... seems they "forgot" 16U-A requires 3 man crews for all bracket games and now they are 20 umpires short.

after being "unselected" from one Nat'l, well, lets just leave it at "no thanks" :-)

okla21fan Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 687855)
got a call last night ... "hey can you go to College Station (TX) to work the 16U-A?" ... seems they "forgot" 16U-A requires 3 man crews for all bracket games and now they are 20 umpires short.

after being "unselected" from one Nat'l, well, lets just leave it at "no thanks" :-)

I was wondering if you got the call too. When the assignments came out 3 months ago, I mentioned to the 'powers that be', that by Code, they would be required to run 3 man crews for bracket play, and they said that had been changed in the Code a 'few years' ago.

But what do I know? :D

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 687855)

It isn't good, but you were not "unselected". They cannot put a gun to the head of the teams and make them play, but they have to be prepared. Or they could have kept you on the roster, work one or two games a day. This is the business end of it. It isn't nice, but it may have been necessary.

But if that was your reason for turning them down for the 16U....well, lets say I'm disappointed. You original selection to Killeen may have been what got you the call for the 16U.

3afan Wed Aug 04, 2010 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 687859)
It isn't good, but you were not "unselected". They cannot put a gun to the head of the teams and make them play, but they have to be prepared. Or they could have kept you on the roster, work one or two games a day. This is the business end of it. It isn't nice, but it may have been necessary.

I understand the why, its understandable & not a problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 687859)
But if that was your reason for turning them down for the 16U....well, lets say I'm disappointed. You original selection to Killeen may have been what got you the call for the 16U.

as far as why "no" ... I took off work last week, not this week ...

ronald Wed Aug 04, 2010 04:17pm

good clear up.

I got an email saturday night for the eastern 18u and gold in my backyard, Sterling, VA.

And I just ran into one of Mike's guys and he explained the origin of IrishMafia. do they know, Mike?

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 04, 2010 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 687891)
good clear up.

I got an email saturday night for the eastern 18u and gold in my backyard, Sterling, VA.

And I just ran into one of Mike's guys and he explained the origin of IrishMafia. do they know, Mike?

I certainly don't.

Do tell, Mike... Do tell...

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 04, 2010 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 687870)
I understand the why, its understandable & not a problem

as far as why "no" ... I took off work last week, not this week ...

Thank you, that is good to hear. Just didn't quite sound that way.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Aug 04, 2010 07:39pm

Quote:

good clear up.

Yeah, did Bruce tell you the advice I gave him yesterday?

Umpteenth Wed Aug 04, 2010 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 687904)

He-he, is that the part where you said, "If you tell anybody, no one will ever find you?" :D

SergioJ Thu Aug 05, 2010 05:37am

Quote:

good clear up.

Hope you guys have fun up in Sterling. Had asked work for the week off because I was told I would be one of the umpires going to this event, but then was told was not needed. So, back to work I went. :)

strike4 Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18am

ASA Tournaments not Making this Year

Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot more ASA tournaments are not making this year?

3afan Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15pm

its not you, its a fact

okla21fan Thu Aug 05, 2010 01:33pm

Remember a while back when a poster was 'complaining' about going to a national and not getting enough games for the pay? Well, 'mrs okla21fan' just called from College Station between some games and since Monday she will have worked 16 games (4 a day). While you might not think that is too many, the temps are over 100 degrees by noon and the level of play is pretty good. They are still short blues for this National as new faces are arriving each day, but the blues are doing Yeoman's work. She (and others) didn't get to their hotel last night until after 1:45 AM, and were back on the fields for 8 AM games today. Her last game tonight is scheduled for a mid night start.

She said she is learning much at her first class A nationals and that alone is worth any monetary loss she might incur (suffering to the posting complaining about game fees)

Stinks to be stuck in the office this week, knowing they could use extra blues.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 05, 2010 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by strike4 (Post 687918)
Is it just me, or does it seem that a lot more ASA tournaments are not making this year?

It seems to be pretty much in the divisions and classifications that are getting weaker (i.e. JO SP, some Adult FP, etc.) Meanwhile, it seems like the JO Girls FP is going crazy in some areas.

ronald Thu Aug 05, 2010 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 687904)

No he did not.

ronald Thu Aug 05, 2010 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioJ (Post 687910)
Hope you guys have fun up in Sterling. Had asked work for the week off because I was told I would be one of the umpires going to this event, but then was told was not needed. So, back to work I went. :)

Mark said they orginally had 50 umps or so needed but not enough teams showed up. They have gone with 32 umps and most are from out of state. Piedmont has 3 I think and Central VA has 4 I know of. I am from NO VA but it is a Central VA slot.Lots of umps who do college ball. Once they get the box stance they seem to have a hard time going back or using the slot.

The father and son tandem from VA beach area is here. Was expecting to see you.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 05, 2010 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 687939)
No he did not.

Its the same thing I tell every umpire before going to a national:

Don't **** up!

Andy Thu Aug 05, 2010 07:33pm

I had heard this year that approx 70% of all of the umpire slots for nationals (with the exception of 18Gold, and Men's and women's Majors) were going to umpires from the host association to cut down on travel expenses. Is this correct?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 687944)
I had heard this year that approx 70% of all of the umpire slots for nationals (with the exception of 18Gold, and Men's and women's Majors) were going to umpires from the host association to cut down on travel expenses. Is this correct?

From ASA Code:

Fast Pitch

a.
Men's and Women's Major. The National Director of Umpires shall
select all umpires.

b.
Junior Olympic GOLD Girls’ 18-Under. The National Director of
Umpires shall select all umpires.

c.
All other Fast Pitch National Championships. Shall use a
minimum of three ( 3 ) outside ( at-large ) umpires to be selected from
within the respective region hosting the entries.

d.
Deficiencies. Should there be a deficiency in the number of team
entries, the tournament director in cooperation with the host
commissioner, may contact the regional director who has the authority to
reduce the number of assigned at-large umpires to no less than three

( 3 ).

okla21fan Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:32pm

small correction from my earlier post:

'mrs okla21fan' will have 5 games today. (out of 9 games slots on her field and last game starts at midnight tonight)) I don't envy the blues who are working their fbutts off in College Station. From the calls I have received, the whole blue crew is really working hard under the circumstances. At least tomorrow the number of fields drops from about 15 to 11, so there should be more flexibility.

at least the high today was 'only' 99 degrees :D

SergioJ Fri Aug 06, 2010 06:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 687941)
Mark said they orginally had 50 umps or so needed but not enough teams showed up. They have gone with 32 umps and most are from out of state. Piedmont has 3 I think and Central VA has 4 I know of. I am from NO VA but it is a Central VA slot.Lots of umps who do college ball. Once they get the box stance they seem to have a hard time going back or using the slot.

The father and son tandem from VA beach area is here. Was expecting to see you.

The father/son tandem are there because they were assigned thru Piedmont, not Central. We only had 1 from Tidewater that was selected to go. Hey, maybe I can make it to the slow pitch nationals in Salem next month. Maybe. Keep me posted on how it's going up there.

Serg

NCASAUmp Fri Aug 06, 2010 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 687944)

I have heard that they are trying to utilize umpires in the general area in order to cut down on costs for everyone.

Dukat Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26am

Got the call last night that mine made for next weekend. My first Slow Pitch National.

ASA Slow Pitch Women's Masters 35-Over - Tupelo, MS

NCASAUmp Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat (Post 687975)
Got the call last night that mine made for next weekend. My first Slow Pitch National.

ASA Slow Pitch Women's Masters 35-Over - Tupelo, MS

Congrats, Dukat! Hope you have a great time calling your first National.

Dukat Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:08am

Not my first National, Just my first Slow Pitch National.

I have done 2 Fast Pitch Nationals previously.

drwells1 Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:08am

Hey DUKAT I'll be looking forward to meeting you. I am also going to the tourn. in Tupelo. This will be my third and my second with this UIC. He is a good one.

drwells1 Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12am

Hey Dukat I just looked at your profile and saw where you were from and I know who you are. LOL

NCASAUmp Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat (Post 687978)
Not my first National, Just my first Slow Pitch National.

I have done 2 Fast Pitch Nationals previously.

Ahhh... My mistake. :)

Will you be applying for NIF after this?

Dukat Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40am

I am planning on it.
I am planning on applying for both NIF and Gold Medal upon returning.

NCASAUmp Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat (Post 687983)
I am planning on it.
I am planning on applying for both NIF and Gold Medal upon returning.

Same here. This will be my third National, and I've met all of my other requirements.

I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to have been offered those opportunities. Lucky, even.

ronald Fri Aug 06, 2010 06:38pm

My evaluator said that his only criticism of my plate game was that I missed a spot when I cleaned the plate. Go ASA:):D mechanics. so that was cool.

I saw the guy from tidewater at the umps meeting but we have been at different fields. Sounds like central va has 3 people then. The local assoiciation lost about 15 slots due to a lack of teams, I figure.

I had an ejection for umpire abuse. They got on my partner and when time was called I walked over to the dugout, asked who the assistant coach was and promoted him to head coach. Then instructed partnet hc had been ejected and to clean up. He took over from there.

I am having fun umping and tonight i get to get to go to a Gilberto Santa Rosa concert in Tysons Corner as a birthday present (hit the 1/2 century mark this 10th).

IRISHMAFIA Sun Aug 08, 2010 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 688025)
My evaluator said that his only criticism of my plate game was that I missed a spot when I cleaned the plate. Go ASA:):D mechanics. so that was cool.

Congratulations, Ronald. Understand you had 1B for the loser's final today.

ronald Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 688115)
Congratulations, Ronald. Understand you had 1B for the loser's final today.

Thank You. Your guy had 3b. We had tons of plays and rotations to do as it ended 7 to 6. They got their money's worth and some.

drwells1 Mon Aug 16, 2010 09:11am

Hey guys I don't get on here that much but I just wanted to say I have learned a lot by reading and studying these threads and that I just finished my third ASA National in Tupelo MS.. I was honored to have worked with some great umpires and was even more honored by the UIC and worked the plate in the Championship game. Another umpire who is a regular provider to this forum Dukat worked first base in the If game. I think I will apply for the UIF and the gold in the medals program. Life is good!!

NCASAUmp Thu Aug 26, 2010 05:03pm

Just got word that the Men's E Slow Pitch National in Johnson City, TN, has been cancelled.

Bummer. I may still get sent to a different National for the same weekend, but no promises. If it happens, wonderful! If not, oh well, better luck next year!

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 26, 2010 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 690327)
Just got word that the Men's E Slow Pitch National in Johnson City, TN, has been cancelled.

Bummer. I may still get sent to a different National for the same weekend, but no promises. If it happens, wonderful! If not, oh well, better luck next year!

Really? The classification the player's demanded and they cannot get enough teams for a tournament?

That is pitiful.

NDblue Thu Aug 26, 2010 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 690348)
Really? The classification the player's demanded and they cannot get enough teams for a tournament?

That is pitiful.

I agree, it is pitiful. So far, we only have 35 teams signed up for the Men's "E" Northern. You would think all these rec teams would be chomping at the bit to get into a national tournament for their level of ball. :confused:

NCASAUmp Thu Aug 26, 2010 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 690348)

That is pitiful.

I surmise a lot of it has to do with one thing: the economy.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 690366)

Or ASA held the line on reclassification. The guy who chairs our Classification Committee reviewed the status of some of the players in our state and sent a request for reclassification of a dozen player or so from C or D to E because the player is no longer with a team at that level.

OKC summarily denied any reduction in class to the E level. This impressed me since that was my fear.

Maybe teams not being permitted automatic drop in classification stymied some trophy-hunting plans.

NDblue Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 690366)

What's wrong with the economy? I guess living in North Dakota has sheltered me from the rest of the country since the economy here is actually flourishing. Anybody need a job? Come to North Dakota, we have plenty.

NCASAUmp Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 690439)
What's wrong with the economy? I guess living in North Dakota has sheltered me from the rest of the country since the economy here is actually flourishing. Anybody need a job? Come to North Dakota, we have plenty.

Would I have to start using that silly accent again? Man, I worked so hard at getting rid of it... :D

Just got a call from my UIC. I'm now being sent to the Senior Men's Slow Pitch National in Burlington, which I have called before. Looking forward to it, as CM is an excellent UIC.

SergioJ Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 690439)

Being that I was stationed at Minot for about 6 years, and started umpiring there, find me a job and I would gladly consider moving back there. I loved it. And being selected to umpire at the McQuade tournament my first year was a great thrill!

And yes Mike, they have plenty of Tabasco there! :D

Serg

NDblue Fri Aug 27, 2010 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioJ (Post 690454)
Being that I was stationed at Minot for about 6 years, and started umpiring there, find me a job and I would gladly consider moving back there. I loved it. And being selected to umpire at the McQuade tournament my first year was a great thrill!

And yes Mike, they have plenty of Tabasco there! :D

Serg

Finding a job is the easy part, they'll find you. Finding housing in western ND, now that's the challenge. The oil boom is huge and it's not going away anytime soon. They've found the largest oil deposit on this side of the planet in western ND/eastern MT.

ronald Fri Aug 27, 2010 05:33pm

what part of the state? I have a brother in the Fargo area. Maybe time to move out there.

Ron

NDblue Sat Aug 28, 2010 09:35am

The Fargo area isn't ND, that's just an extension of MN that they make us claim! ;) I don't know what the job market in the eastern part of ND is like, all the jobs in the oil field would be found between Dickinson, Williston and Minot in the NW corner of North Dakota.

Andy Mon Aug 30, 2010 07:12pm

I worked the ASA Mens FP 40 and Over this past weekend. Only 5 teams, 6 umpires.

All games were three umpire, one on, one off until one of the umpires tweaked a knee and could not continue.

All games were at the same field, which was nice, because our UIC could watch every pitch of every game and provide a complete evaluation.

One of the best National Tournament experiences that I have had.

ronald Tue Aug 31, 2010 03:58pm

Andy,

Have you met the criteria now for elite? If so, congrats.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Aug 31, 2010 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 690843)
Andy,

Even if this makes the tournament qualification requirement, you cannot know if you met the criteria until you get the evaluation; it must average Excellent in the LAST qualifying tournament to be considered for ASA/USA Elite, is my understanding.

Andy Wed Sep 01, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 690843)
Andy,

Still have to do one more of the qualifying tournaments to be eligible...that and get the excellent rating!

NDblue Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:00pm

Just got my final evaluation for the nat I worked. 56 out of 60 for an Excellent overall eval. Worked 13 games with 7 behind the dish. I thought I did pretty good with the limited 2-man experience and zero 3-man experience I had. After the weekend, I felt very comfortable with the rotations and positioning. I do have to give the credit where it's do. We had some fantastic evaluators with all 6 being at the Elite level. Mike Wolf (ND), Elliott Gerhardt (ND), Al Ziemann (ND), Tim Watts (NE), Tommy Borucki (formally NJ but now NE) and Rich Skorheim (SD). These guys were awesome to work with. We were watched just about every inning of every game and at times had 2 evaluators evaluating the same game. I learned a lot in four days. Also made some good friends and unforgettable memories. Hope to do it all again someday.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Sep 18, 2010 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 692894)
Tommy Borucki (formally NJ but now NE).

Nebraska? So that's where Borucki ended up. :eek: