The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Test #49 (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57462-asa-test-49-a.html)

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25am

ASA Test #49
 
The following question was discussed on this week's chat:

Positioning for a tag play. The proper position for a tag play is:
a) At a 90 degree angle from the base LINE, 10-12 feet from the play
b) At a 90 degree angle from the base PATH, 18 feet from the play
c) At a 90 degree angle from the base PATH, 10-12 feet from the play
d) At a 90 degree angle to the path of the runner, just short of the
base they are trying to reach at a depth of 10-12 feet

Your answer?

shagpal Mon Mar 08, 2010 01:28am

according to my answers, D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 666904)
The following question was discussed on this week's chat:

Positioning for a tag play. The proper position for a tag play is:
a) At a 90 degree angle from the base LINE, 10-12 feet from the play
b) At a 90 degree angle from the base PATH, 18 feet from the play
c) At a 90 degree angle from the base PATH, 10-12 feet from the play
d) At a 90 degree angle to the path of the runner, just short of the
base they are trying to reach at a depth of 10-12 feet

Your answer?


BretMan Mon Mar 08, 2010 09:09am

I'd answer "D" just because it is a word-for-word quote straight out of the umpire manual where it describes our positioning for tag plays.

Without the benefit of having memorized the manual verbatim, or having in available for reference, I'd probably waffle between "C" and "D". Are they not essentially saying the same thing? Isn't the "base PATH" the same thing as "the path of the runner"? Isn't "just short of the base, at a depth of 10-12 feet" the same thing as "10-12 feet from the play"?

And then I'd probably curse under my breath the ASA tendency to offer multiple choice answers with seemingly redundant differences, as well as their continued use of the pronoun "they" (a plural construction) to describe a single runner! :rolleyes:

BTW- tried to log into the chat last night, but was unsuccessful. Now that I think about it, I bet that it was held 7:00-10:00 eastern time and I was trying to log in just after 9:00 central time and the chat was already over.

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:12am

I answered C, though the book says otherwise. In my opinion, it doesn't do you any good to make a call while you're standing at 2B, when the play is a tag out halfway between 1B and 2B. The question assumes that you are making the call at the base.

D is the same as C, but only as it applies to a play at a base. I think ASA should accept both answers. C is, in my opinion, a more "catch all" choice.

BretMan Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57am

That thought crossed my mind, too. The question doesn't really specify that the tag attempt is being made "at the bag". Setting up 10-12 away from the bag doesn't do much good if the tag attempt is being made further away from the bag!

JefferMC Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40pm

Hmm... two lines can be at 90 degree angle, but since an umpire is a point (well, closer to a point than a line)...

This goes to the difference between C and D.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Mar 08, 2010 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 666939)
BTW- tried to log into the chat last night, but was unsuccessful. Now that I think about it, I bet that it was held 7:00-10:00 eastern time and I was trying to log in just after 9:00 central time and the chat was already over.

No, we were still there until around 11 EST (10 for you, BretMan :cool: ).

There was a problem with someone trying to log in and it seemed they have a stuck key as it kept repeating and then being removed. After a few minutes, we had the same issue under a different guest name. Eventually, it stopped. I have reported this to the site's help desk, but they seemed somewhat confused.

We can try again next week.

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 08, 2010 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 667004)
We can try again next week.

I'll bring the beer! If y'all can make it to my house, you may have some. :D

CecilOne Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 666904)
The following question was discussed on this week's chat:

Positioning for a tag play. The proper position for a tag play is:
a) At a 90 degree angle from the base LINE, 10-12 feet from the play
b) At a 90 degree angle from the base PATH, 18 feet from the play
c) At a 90 degree angle from the base PATH, 10-12 feet from the play
d) At a 90 degree angle to the path of the runner, just short of the
base they are trying to reach at a depth of 10-12 feet

Your answer?

I was going to say B, but I don't remember which book now says 18 feet. Is it NFHS?

NCASAUmp Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 668203)
I was going to say B, but I don't remember which book now says 18 feet. Is it NFHS?

18-21 feet is the proper distance for calling a force out.

Skahtboi Wed Mar 17, 2010 07:31pm

D.

CecilOne Thu Mar 18, 2010 06:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 668211)
18-21 feet is the proper distance for calling a force out.

Oh, yeah, thanks.
That makes the answer C, but D for the test as Bret pointed out.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 18, 2010 07:03am

Attempted Bunt
 
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm still looking for the rule in the 2010 NFHS rule book which states that an attempted bunt should be called a strike.

Can someone help me out here?

NCASAUmp Thu Mar 18, 2010 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 668881)
Oh, yeah, thanks.
That makes the answer C, but D for the test as Bret pointed out.

Frankly, I see D as being a subset of C, with C being the more "all-encompassing" answer. Maybe they think that we'll go jumping into the base path or something...

NCASAUmp Thu Mar 18, 2010 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 668886)
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm still looking for the rule in the 2010 NFHS rule book which states that an attempted bunt should be called a strike.

Can someone help me out here?

Too easy... Too easy... :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1