The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

My first BOO

Happened in an NSA Tournament yesterday. I was PU, bottom of 5th inning with score tied 1-1. R1 on 1B, 1 out and B10 (NSA allows as many as two Extra Players, but in this situation home team is using only one EP) grounds to F3, who records the out on the BR with R1 advancing to 2B. Prior to the next pitch, DC appeals for BOO, and a quick check confirms that it was indeed B9 who was due up to bat.

Right away, I'm thinking okay, we're about to get to the second and third outs. However, at the same time I'm doubting myself and wondering if I'm about to apply an ASA ruling to an NSA game. I call my partner over, and his spin is that B9 is declared out, R1 returns to 1B, B1 is now the proper batter, and the OC is ejected. I tell him my thoughts are that B9 is declared out, and the out recorded on B10 stands, sending us to the 6th inning. He doesn't agree with me.

I spot the umpire working the plate for the next game behind the backstop. He's also the guy who lured me to NSA after we got to know each other from ASA ball, and I consider him a mentor of sorts. I ask him what his thoughts are...he knows the situation already as he's been standing there while this is going on, but he hasn't heard what my BU and I have discussed. He states that B9 is out, but says that R1 should return to 1B and B10 should bat again with 2 outs. The DC is standing a few feet away nodding his head, and even though I still have my doubts I decide to apply that ruling (BTW, the UIC had just left as this game was starting, so we did not have a UIC on site at that time). B10 bats again, making the third out, and we play one more scoreless inning before time expires ending a nicely played 1-1 game.

Of course after the game I have my head in the rule book while my BU is calling the UIC and still insisting that his ruling would have been correct. I find it in the rule book as he comes back in to our umpire area, telling me that I was right. NSA Rule 7-2-b states "If the error is discovered after the incorrect batter has batted and before the next pitch to the following batter, the player who should have batted is out. Any advance or score made because of a batted ball by the improper batter's advance to first base on a hit, an error, or a base on balls shall be nullified. The next batter is the player whose name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat. Any out(s) that have been made prior to discovering the infraction remain an out(s)".

So it's another learning moment for me. I'm trying to figure out who would be the proper batter to begin the bottom of the 6th inning for ASA, NSA, and NFHS. ASA Rule 7-2-D-2 states "If batting out of order is discovered after the incorrect batter has completed a turn at bat and BEFORE a legal or illegal pitch to the following batter" the EFFECT would be:
  1. The player who should have batted is out.
  2. Any advance of runners and any run scored shall be nullified. All outs made stand.
  3. The next batter is the player whose name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat.
  4. If the batter declared out is the third out, the correct batter to lead off the next inning shall be the player who would have come to bat had the player been put out by ordinary play.
EXCEPTION: If the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat, and is scheduled to be the proper batter, skip that player and the next person in the line-up will be the batter.
This leads me to believe that B1 would be the proper batter to lead off the 6th inning for ASA play.

NSA doesn't have anything more that I can find on the subject other than what I quoted above. The Case Book does not have my exact situation either. What I find in there is:

7.2b With no outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd base, B3 strikes out. B5 bats next and completes a turn at bat with a single to right field and is safe on first base. The runner from second base is thrown out at the plate attempting to score. The opposing coach, before the next pitch is delivered, appeals that B5 batted out of order. The umpire calls B4 out for not batting in the proper position and returns the runner from 3rd base to third base and the out made at home on the runner from 2nd base remains an out. Two outs, runner on 3rd, B5 at bat.
Ruling: Incorrect. B4 is out for not batting in proper order for third out of inning. Runner from 3rd base does not score because with less than three outs (s)he would have been returned to 3rd base, which (s)he occupied at time of pitch. B5, who just batted out of turn, will be first batter of next inning.
7.2b With no outs, R1 on 1st base, B3 bats out of order into a double play. Defensive team now appeals, before next pitch, B3 batting out of order.
Ruling: Illegal. B2, who should have batted, is called out. Both outs made on double play stand, and you now have three outs.

The second Case Book play does not state who would be the proper batter in the next inning, but with that omission I believe that in my situation, I would still have B1 as the proper batter to lead off the 6th inning in NSA play.

NFHS Rule 7-2-2 states "When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the next pitch(legal or illegal), or prior to an intentional base on balls (S.P.), or before the infielders leave the diamond if a half-inning is ending. The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). The improper batter's time at bat is negated and she is returned to the dugout/bench area. All outs stand and runners who were not declared out must return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. If a runner advances because of a stolen base, wild pitch, passed ball (F.P.) or an illegal pitch (F.P.) while the improper batter is at bat, such advance is legal. Again, I find no end of inning exceptions. The Case Book also does not have any inning ending examples, leading me again to conclude that for NFHS play, B1 would also be the proper batter to lead off the 6th inning. However, what I find troubling is that Case Book Situation 7.1.2.Situation H states "Batter B1 is due up but B2 bats instead. B2 hits a ground ball and is (a) safe at first or (b) thrown out at first. The defensive team properly appeals batting out of order. RULING: In both (a) and (b), the player who should have batted, B1 is declared out by the umpire and B2's turn at bat is nullified. In (a), B2 is removed from first base. In both (a) and (b), B2 is now the proper batter and bats again with one out and no runners on base." This seems to be in conflict with the rule, and was perhaps the basis of the information I received when my situation occurred.

TIA for any thoughts, and I apologize for the length of the post. Also, I realize there would not be a B10 in either ASA or NFHS, but let's assume it was instead B9 batting improperly for B8 for those rule sets.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

As a OC, I would expect the umpire to do their best to interpret the rule and rule whether B10 or B1 was up next inning. If you have an OC that argues about the proper ruling on which batter is up next you might remind them that if they are so rules savvy maybe they should remember to bat their kids in order.