The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

If you have thrown a bat out of play for being illegal and then the team brings it up to the plate later in the game, do you eject the player, remove the player from the game(different than an ejection), or what? I can't locate my rule book and was wondering if anyone knew.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

ASA 7:6:C

When the batter enters the batters box with or is discovered using an illegal bat, the batter is out.

Also:

8:8:X adds:

...any runners put out prior to the discovery (of the illegal bat) shall remain out.

Scott
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
ASA 7:6:C

When the batter enters the batters box with or is discovered using an illegal bat, the batter is out.

Also:

8:8:X adds:

...any runners put out prior to the discovery (of the illegal bat) shall remain out.

Scott
Scott,

I would take that a step farther. When you remove a bat from the game, it is for safety reasons. If a player brings an illegal bat into the game, I would have no problem ejecting them for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Using that bat not only defies the rules and the umpire who removed the bat, but possibly places the welfare of all the players, coaches and umpires, not to mention the spectators, in jeopardy.

When you dump a piece of equipment, do in loudly and make sure the manager/coach is aware of it so there are no excuses later in the game.

Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
In addition to what Mike said about loudly announcing the fact that a certain bat was illegal, I always had them remmoved from the dugout area, preferably to the trunk of someone's car, but at the very least to Mom or Dad in the stands or too the scorer's table.

SamC
Old Thu Sep 05, 2002, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Not gonna get an argument from me about that Mike. I agree wholeheartedly.

Scott