The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Illegal pitch?

NFHS - pitcher recieves new ball from umpire. runner on 3rd base. she takes ball and rolls it in dirt because it is "slick". Is this an illegal pitch that advances the runner one base and awards a called ball to the batter?
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprivitor View Post
NFHS - pitcher recieves new ball from umpire. runner on 3rd base. she takes ball and rolls it in dirt because it is "slick". Is this an illegal pitch that advances the runner one base and awards a called ball to the batter?
I can see where some umpires may rule that way. Personally, I'm retrieving the ball from the pitcher, remind to not do that again, bring the coach up to speed (if necessary). If the ball is damaged, it's leaving the game. If not, I will rub down the ball and return it to the pitcher.

No, I'm not advancing any runners.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

The ball is dead. Agree with Irish above as about the most I'd do.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

is there a rule that says a pitcher can not roll ball in dirt? Is dirt a foreign substance? Playing devils advocate a little. Anyway umpire should not put a "new" ball into play with out it being "roughed" up by him/herself or under him/her's direction.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaaumpdj View Post
is there a rule that says a pitcher can not roll ball in dirt? Is dirt a foreign substance?
The rule is more along the lines of foreign substance and damaging the ball (most ground the ball into the dirt, not just rolled).

Quote:
Playing devils advocate a little. Anyway umpire should not put a "new" ball into play with out it being "roughed" up by him/herself or under him/her's direction.
Absolutely agree.