The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS, Bunt Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57201-nfhs-bunt-rule.html)

sprivitor Wed Feb 17, 2010 07:04pm

NFHS, Bunt Rule

NFHS rules, Batter shows bunt at a pitch but does not move the bat toward the ball in flight. The pitched ball is not in the strike zone. Would this be a strike?

Did this change this year?

Thanks

HugoTafurst Wed Feb 17, 2010 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprivitor (Post 662654)
NFHS rules, Batter shows bunt at a pitch but does not move the bat toward the ball in flight. The pitched ball is not in the strike zone. Would this be a strike?

Thanks

Yes the rule changed this year.
STRIKE
2-8-2
"...Holding the bat in the strike zone is a bunt attempt..."

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 17, 2010 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 662657)
Yes the rule changed this year.
STRIKE
2-8-2
"...Holding the bat in the strike zone is a bunt attempt..."

So, a batter squares to bunt (yeah, I know, most people nowadays would ask what the hell is she doin'?), holds that bat out over the plate preparing to bunt. All of a sudden, the pitch breaks high and inside and the batter ducks without withdrawing the bat. Still a strike?

OTOH, if the batter holds the bat out over the plate at shoulder level, still a strike?

My opinion only, dumb rule. For more than a century, umpires have not had an issue with this non-issue, so what does that tell you about the NFHS' & NCAA's opinion of the competence of their umpires?

BretMan Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprivitor (Post 662654)

Nope. It changed last year!

Anyone using NFHS rules should have already played an entire season (2009) using the new bunt rule.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 18, 2010 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 662707)

Anyone using NFHS rules should have already played an entire season (2009) using the new bunt rule.

Don't you mean "non-bunt" rule :rolleyes: ;)

topper Thu Feb 18, 2010 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 662663)
My opinion only, dumb rule. For more than a century, umpires have not had an issue with this non-issue,...

Sorry, but I have never understood not requiring a batter to pull their bat back. IMO the only reason it's a non-issue is that it very, very seldom happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 662663)
...so what does that tell you about the NFHS' & NCAA's opinion of the competence of their umpires?

Not sure what you mean, but you need to include baseball as well. ASA must be the only large organization with a high opinion of their umpires. I guess that's why their mechanics are so intuitive and flexible. :rolleyes:

HugoTafurst Thu Feb 18, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

You mean it was changed last year for use in the 2010 book?

wiseguy????:rolleyes:

Skahtboi Thu Feb 18, 2010 02:05pm

Quote:

I was just going to say the same thing.

Skahtboi Thu Feb 18, 2010 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 662837)
You mean it was changed last year for use in the 2010 book?

wiseguy????:rolleyes:

No. It changed in 2008 for the 2009 book.

HugoTafurst Thu Feb 18, 2010 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 662840)
No. It changed in 2008 for the 2009 book.

Jeez what a Dufus, I am....

In my rush to be a wise guy, I went and looked up my NFHS PDF from last year.... unfortunately I clicked on BB instead of SB..:eek:

and before you add the obvious...
Yes, I'm sure I was calling it properly last year. I pay attention to that stuff.

It's just that last year was last year and between xSA, HS, NCAA, etc, I didn't specifically remember (which is why I looked it up - which is what got me in trouble in the first place)

I should have known not to question Bret:D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 18, 2010 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 662726)
Sorry, but I have never understood not requiring a batter to pull their bat back. IMO the only reason it's a non-issue is that it very, very seldom happens.

Really? If it is that rare, why was it necessary to "create" a rule to address it? Hell, even as a kid playing baseball, a player had to attempt to hit the ball for the umpire to call a strike. Why should this one, lone situation be different?

Quote:

Not sure what you mean, but you need to include baseball as well. ASA must be the only large organization with a high opinion of their umpires. I guess that's why their mechanics are so intuitive and flexible. :rolleyes:
To me, it is an indictment of the umpire's inability or refusal to make the proper call as the rule dictates. And if that is their attitude, lets go back to rounders where after the maximum number of pitches, the striker began running the bases whether they hit the ball or not. WTF, is that not the idea of the game anyway?

topper Thu Feb 18, 2010 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 662924)
Hell, even as a kid playing baseball, a player had to attempt to hit the ball for the umpire to call a strike.

Maybe I'm older or younger than you, but as a kid, if we didn't pull our bat back when squaring to bunt, it was a strike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 662924)
To me, it is an indictment of the umpire's inability or refusal to make the proper call as the rule dictates. And if that is their attitude, lets go back to rounders where after the maximum number of pitches, the striker began running the bases whether they hit the ball or not. WTF, is that not the idea of the game anyway?

Okay, I'm younger than you.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 662950)
Maybe I'm older or younger than you, but as a kid, if we didn't pull our bat back when squaring to bunt, it was a strike.

Nowhere I played or umpired. Scanning MLB, I cannot find anything that suggest such a rule in baseball.

I just think it is absurd calling a strike on a pitch that is neither in the strike zone or that the batter has attempted to hit.

I can see, well, actually have seen, a batter square to bunt only to stand there and watch the ball go over the backstop. And now there is a rule that insists that must be called a strike?

Sorry, IMO, that is simply absurd.

SethPDX Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 662950)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 662970)
Nowhere I played or umpired. Scanning MLB, I cannot find anything that suggest such a rule in baseball.

I know of no baseball code that requires the batter to pull back the bat. The umpire must judge if the batter actually offered at the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 662970)
I just think it is absurd calling a strike on a pitch that is neither in the strike zone or that the batter has attempted to hit.

Me too. I did not have to call this last year,so maybe the teams were fast learners.