The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   First Game of the Season!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57157-first-game-season.html)

derwil Mon Feb 15, 2010 08:00pm

First Game of the Season!!!!

Doin' the dish tomorrow 2/16/2010 for a middle school game....first one from 43 feet. Ball.......Ball.......Ball.........Ball.......etc.

Oh, and the high is supposed to be 36.

Love softball in Alabama.

HugoTafurst Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 662061)
Doin' the dish tomorrow 2/16/2010 for a middle school game....first one from 43 feet. Ball.......Ball.......Ball.........Ball.......etc.

Oh, and the high is supposed to be 36.

Love softball in Alabama.

As a Florida Umpire, I will suggest that you will be surprised at how little trouble pitchers have adjusting to 43 feet.

Have fun

argodad Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 662116)
As a Florida Umpire, I will suggest that you will be surprised at how little trouble pitchers have adjusting to 43 feet.

Have fun

Agree Hugo. We have not seen much of a problem in the Panhandle in the 4 years Florida has been at 43 feet. The good pitchers are still good and the bad pitchers are no worse than before. Even the teams who come in from out of state for Spring Break trips adjusted quickly. :cool:

Andy Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28pm

I have already worked five college or JC double headers, first HS Scrimmage is Thursday.

Here in AZ, the state voted to go to the 43' pitching distance this year for all levels (Fr, JV, V). Considering the number of pitchers we had that couldn't get the ball across the plate at 40', I'm a bit wary....

umpirebob71 Tue Feb 16, 2010 08:47pm

Heck, we just had our first local rules meeting of the year. Our season doesn't start until the end of March.

wadeintothem Wed Feb 17, 2010 09:31am

I had my first games of the year last weekend. A div 2 non conference double header. I didnt screw it up too badly. I'm kinda a slow starter and to "warm up" at that level is tough for me after a few months off.

Steve M Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 662478)
I had my first games of the year last weekend. A div 2 non conference double header. I didnt screw it up too badly. I'm kinda a slow starter and to "warm up" at that level is tough for me after a few months off.

Wade - That's a main reason why I practice with some of the local college teams - cage work and indoor scrimmages. It is tough to start the season with the college levels.

wadeintothem Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 662681)
Wade - That's a main reason why I practice with some of the local college teams - cage work and indoor scrimmages. It is tough to start the season with the college levels.

Worst dumb thing I did.. I was in C (2 man) R1@2B and a bunt to F5 who crashed.. to me the play was at 1 and I sucked in .. and that girl turned around and fired to F6 covering 3... it looked like an out to me with my horrible 180 on the play lol.. (duh).. so I called it out. Well of course I got a talking to and at this point I didnt want to drag my partner under the bus with me so I stood by it like It was the greatest call on earth .. apparently, according to my evaluator (lol) .. not so good.

Blah... They didnt suck me in again though.. just dumb on my part, I know better.

clev1967 Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30pm

Nightmare

Nice way to start the season

4A Varsity game
Behind the plate

4 hour game!
Final Score 24-19, the winning pitcher had 28 walks!!!! She had to have thrown over 300 pitches, of which about 8 got me- 3 solid. Was tied 17-17 after 7, ended up playing 8 innings. The third inning went hour and five by itself. Had frost on the grass by end of the game.

Was tempted to throw my gear in the dumpster on the way to the truck and head straight to a bar. Feeling it today for sure.

HugoTafurst Thu Feb 18, 2010 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by clev1967 (Post 662809)
Nice way to start the season

4A Varsity game
Behind the plate

4 hour game!
Final Score 24-19, the winning pitcher had 28 walks!!!! She had to have thrown over 300 pitches, of which about 8 got me- 3 solid. Was tied 17-17 after 7, ended up playing 8 innings. The third inning went hour and five by itself. Had frost on the grass by end of the game.

Was tempted to throw my gear in the dumpster on the way to the truck and head straight to a bar. Feeling it today for sure.

Damn that 43'!!
LOL

Andy Thu Feb 18, 2010 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 662770)
Worst dumb thing I did.. I was in C (2 man) R1@2B and a bunt to F5 who crashed.. to me the play was at 1 and I sucked in .. and that girl turned around and fired to F6 covering 3... it looked like an out to me with my horrible 180 on the play lol.. (duh).. so I called it out. Well of course I got a talking to and at this point I didnt want to drag my partner under the bus with me so I stood by it like It was the greatest call on earth .. apparently, according to my evaluator (lol) .. not so good.

Blah... They didnt suck me in again though.. just dumb on my part, I know better.

Wade...I feel your pain. I had a similar situation last year, only mine happened in the top of the eighth inning in the tiebreaker. Same basic play, same crappy angle, same "well, she looked out from here" call at third base. I was prepared to take some heat from the coach for the call, but when she started talking about all the calls I had blown at first base in the previous innings, we were finished with the conversation.

clev1967 Thu Feb 18, 2010 01:48pm

We are still at 40!!!!

JefferMC Thu Feb 18, 2010 02:33pm

The winning pitcher had 28 walks? My DD's HS's JV pitching staff only had 18 walks all season last year.

HugoTafurst Thu Feb 18, 2010 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by clev1967 (Post 662833)
We are still at 40!!!!

I thought all NFHS Varsity went to 43 this year.

Either way, I feel your pain.
We all get one of those games, hopefully you're done for the season.

Speaking of which....
I went to our State Evaluation meeting this year.
The evaluations consisted of rotating on and off the field (2 innings at each position) over the course of 3 games.
The first two games (which was my rotation) were JV teams....

As I was watching, getting ready for my plate eval, the pitcher couldn't throw a strik and her team couldn't get an out - finally, the evaluators called the PU guy off the field and put me on - - - with a ball 1 ball on the batter, an out and a runner on 3rd!

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 18, 2010 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 662865)
I thought all NFHS Varsity went to 43 this year.

NFHS can only suggest rules and changes. Each state runs its own program and can pretty much does whatever they please.