The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   IDing bats (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/57011-iding-bats.html)

SamG Tue Feb 09, 2010 08:08am

IDing bats

OK, if anyone knows what I can do it's you guys.

I got my DD a new bat for Christmas. However, it is a popular (and desired) bat. What can I do to identify it as my DD's? I'm thinking along the following, please let me know if it's legal/illegal, and if you have any other suggestions:

1) Inititals or name written in Sharpie just above the grip (bat's green, grip's black).
2) Using colored electrical tape at the top of the grip (currently black, could use green, red, yellow, white, anything).
3) Use an engraver and put name or initials on the knob.

Thanks for the help.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 09, 2010 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 659858)
OK, if anyone knows what I can do it's you guys.

I got my DD a new bat for Christmas. However, it is a popular (and desired) bat. What can I do to identify it as my DD's? I'm thinking along the following, please let me know if it's legal/illegal, and if you have any other suggestions:

1) Inititals or name written in Sharpie just above the grip (bat's green, grip's black).
2) Using colored electrical tape at the top of the grip (currently black, could use green, red, yellow, white, anything).
3) Use an engraver and put name or initials on the knob.

Thanks for the help.

#3 or #1 on the knob. Avoid #2 due to over-officious umpires ;)

WES_CT_UMP Tue Feb 09, 2010 07:05pm

I do #2, but make sure it's not over 15" from the knob.
I do mine red, white, and blue.

NCASAUmp Tue Feb 09, 2010 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WES_CT_UMP (Post 660158)
I do #2, but make sure it's not over 15" from the knob.
I do mine red, white, and blue.

The issue isn't the length or how many layers, but rather the fact that ASA prohibits the use of "smooth plastic tape" on the bat.

Personally, so long as the entire grip isn't smooth plastic tape, I don't care. Hell, a lot of the bats come that way from the manufacturers.

WES_CT_UMP Tue Feb 09, 2010 08:00pm

I only use cloth/friction tape.
My grip is black friction tape 10-12", then I mark my ownership with red, white, and blue.

Only commies will say anything about that. :D

SamG Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 660164)
The issue isn't the length or how many layers, but rather the fact that ASA prohibits the use of "smooth plastic tape" on the bat.

But there *IS* "smooth plastic tape" on the bat as it comes from the manufacturer. Where the grip ends to go into the taper(?)... there's a layer of what looks like electrical tape wrapped around the bat (the width is that of the tape itself).

NCASAUmp Wed Feb 10, 2010 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 660263)
But there *IS* "smooth plastic tape" on the bat as it comes from the manufacturer. Where the grip ends to go into the taper(?)... there's a layer of what looks like electrical tape wrapped around the bat (the width is that of the tape itself).

Didn't I just say that? :)

One more reason why I don't worry about it. I don't ask players to take it off.

I think what Mike was saying was that you may get an umpire who is being "over officiating" and may ask you to take off that tiny amount of smooth plastic tape. In the strictest sense, by rule, they would be correct, but most umpires won't say anything about it.

Andy Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 660264)
I don't ask players to take it off.

However, there have been some hot moms in the stands....:D

NCASAUmp Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 660327)
However, there have been some hot moms in the stands....:D

And they may certainly take off whatever they wish.

RKBUmp Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55am

Andy, you must have been at different fields than I have lately.