little inconsistent. He must have gotten tired in about the
4th inning because he started kneeling on one knee. Really
did not look good. Is that a baseball thing? Was not when
I use to call.

However, in all the other games I have seen, the blues
appear to be doing a good job.

JMO

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I was only able to watch the third and fourth innings of that game, but I thought the same thing of the zone.

I remember one pitch coming in about shoulder high that was called a strike and a few batters later, a pitch that was about letter high being a ball. Oh well, maybe he wanted to get in out of the rain!

I really can't see how the kneeling is helpful. For me, I can't imagine being able to move from that postion quickly enough to let the catcher retrieve a passed ball or go after a foul popup straight back.

The other thing I noticed in the parts of the game that I watched was that the 1B ump never got himself set for any calls at first base. It looked like he got the bangers correct, but he would have looked better doing it from the set position.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Glen,

What little I have seen of these games, I have thought the umpires have been alittle inconsistant.

Bob
NIF
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

I think most of the umps I have seen, with a couple of exceptions, have been consistent. I have a lot of heartburn with the "Ankle Biters" at any level.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

God forbid that any of us ever get to the point of our umpiring career that we are thrown up as "message board fodder"...........grin

Actually.........most of the guys and gals I have seen have been pretty good............I have not had the pleasure of watching a lot this year........I did see the phantom (ball hit off bat and then player) call made by an umpire in the boys game............I still don't know where he came up with that.........

A few have had a WAY to generous strike zone........but other than that.............(and super slo-mo).......I think they have done a pretty good job.......

Truthfully.........I think they ought' to hire us next year...............grin

Joel

Old Sat Aug 24, 2002, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Unhappy

Not only did I see an inconsistent strike zone by the PUs, but I noticed they gave a verbal strike call when the batter swung and missed. ???? This is a no-no in ASA. You only do the hand mechanic as everyone watching knows that the batter swung and missed.
Also, I've seen a lot of baseball umpires (older guys) go down on one knee and it seems to be translating to the younger guys. One of our ASA guys tried it in a 16U Fastpitch National; the UIC was waiting on him outside the fence. I don't know what was said as our other partner and I climbed in the golf cart for the ride back to the air conditioning, but we did'nt see him go down on 1 knee again. He still sometimes does it although. He's an umpire in Metro Atlanta and I see him.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sat Aug 24, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I called in a tournament this year with a guy that does the same thing, goes down on one knee. I asked him the same question that I ask everyone I have ever seen do that. How do you set yourself to the different size strike zones? (Me...I am always set at the top of the strike zone, which of course varies from batter to batter, especially in the 12 year old division.) His answer...I just know where it is.

Odd that he knew where it was, because I honestly don't think that he ever called a strike above the belt. However, I must add in his defense that he was quite consistent. Passed balls and WPs did cause some problems, though, since he was less than mobile in that position.

I would also like to echo Joel sentiment that I certainly hope none of us ever become fodder for a message board somewhere.

Scott
Old Sat Aug 24, 2002, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I see the down on one knee position farily frequently in MLB. Maybe that is where they are getting it.

Your zone would be very consistent from that postion - consistent with yourself, but not with the batter.

The compromise is just too great, IMO - can't position yourself consistently at the top of the zone, and too slow getting out of the way, which can translate into taking a play or 2 away from the defense.

These guys should just get their legs in shape.