The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

The following is for entertainment purposes only and not to be used to scoff at the alleged adults we meet on the softball field. Oh, well, okay, you can make fun of them.

This past weekend, Delaware ASA (DASA) conducted it Men's D SP States. There were 31 teams (not too bad for a state as small as DE) and 60 games.

Everything was going fine for the first 59 games. However, during the loser's final, the manager of the lone undefeated team approached the TD (also the State Commissioner) and informed her that they were aware that one of the two teams on the field were carrying an ineligible player and they would possibly officially protest if it meant winning the tournament. They pointed him out and gave her his name. Sure enough, this gentleman, playing under his own name was not on the roster.

Turns out the team with the ineligible player advanced to the championship game. In an effort to avoid a very ugly finish and even though she didn't need to, or maybe shouldn't have, the TD informed the manager of the offending team that the other team was aware of their ineligible player, that they knew his name and could point him out. She also told him that if the player took part in the game and the opposing team protested, the game would be forfeited.

The manager insisted that he discussed this player with the DASA president (who was out of town) and he said it was okay if this guy played. BTW, the President is the TD of 80% of all state tournaments, is the ASA Player Rep and running for that position for Region #3 this year and is very much aware of the rules concerning eligibility, rosters, etc. The manager had two days to discuss this with the TD and didn't say word-one to her about this player. The manager admitted the player wasn't on the roster and didn't even make a last second appeal to allow him to be added.

Stupid is as stupid does!

Well, sure enough, the manager puts the ineligible player in the line-up, batting fourth. The player comes up, takes a pitch and the TD and I know we are in for a very ugly finish.

In the fourth inning, and down by at least a half-dozen runs, the opposing team's scorekeeper walks onto the field to protest two players. As the UIC, I wanted to keep the umpires out of the middle of this, so I entered the field, took the line-up card from the PU and called for the manager of the team to indicate exactly which players they were protesting. He pointed them out on the field, by name, number and defensive position.

One player was good, however, the other was the player not on the roster. When I announced that his participation in the game constituted a forfeit, you could feel the wave of profanity coming.

The TD (Commissioner)and myself were the nastiest things you could imagine and the team did not hold back one bit.

Summary:

TD: If you use the player, you lose the game.
Coach: Why?
TD: Because Jim Jones is not on the roster.
Coach: I know, but the other guy (Pres) said it was okay.
TD: No, he does not have the authority to state that and if the player plays and the opposition protests, you will lose.
Coach: No, I won't, because the other guy said it was okay.
TD: The game will end with the protest.

(Note: The DASA President (other guy) reports directly to the State Commissioner (TD and present decision maker)

BTW, in case you were wondering, the offending team had three subs on the bench available to play at the time of the forfeit.

When I worked a couple of games last night, you wouldn't believe all the stories already circulating about how ASA screwed this team. I spent half my evening setting the record straight.

I just love my softball weekends!

Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Mike,

Sounds like it was a fun weekend?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And YOU wanted ME to work. I probably would have been right in the middle of that. No smart A** comments accepted.
NIF
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

I think your title was perfect............

Stupid is as stupid does..........grin

Joel
Old Fri Aug 16, 2002, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Wink

I saw more 'Forest Gump' moves in AA ball than I care to remember, that's one of the reasons I quit calling AAs in 1995. Mike, you and Ed are gluttons for punishment!! Some JO coaches make stupid moves, but not near as stupid as AA coaches. I guess that's why they're called AAs!!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995