The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   How to explain (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/56264-how-explain.html)

ChampaignBlue Wed Jan 06, 2010 05:59am

How to explain

Still living in the middle of the DR Congo. Saw something a couple days ago got me wondering.

The DR Congo is the worlds largest importer of used clothing, seriously, and I saw a guy wearing an ASA blue pullover.

What I wondered was why would an umpire give up a perfectly good shirt for charity?

Glasses got too heavy?
AAs finally got to his sanity?

Any other suggestions?

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jan 06, 2010 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue (Post 648657)
Still living in the middle of the DR Congo. Saw something a couple days ago got me wondering.

The DR Congo is the worlds largest importer of used clothing, seriously, and I saw a guy wearing an ASA blue pullover.

What I wondered was why would an umpire give up a perfectly good shirt for charity?

Glasses got too heavy?

Any other suggestions?

Maybe someone suffered a divorce, or worse, and his/her clothes ended up going to charity. Or maybe this guy wants to become an umpire! If so, please have him send his registration and fee to...............

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25am

Maybe that's all his rich, Nigerian uncle could really afford.

$25 million dollars my @$$!

CecilOne Wed Jan 06, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

Glasses got too heavy?

Any other suggestions?

I gave away all my medium size items. :D

HugoTafurst Wed Jan 06, 2010 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 648905)
I gave away all my medium size items. :D

Ouch, that hurts (and it was my first thought)
In my case, it was the Large items that I may soon have to give away!.

Last year I gave in and went from 36" waist to 38".
Did a game last weekend and even the 38"s were a little tight.
I'm blaming that on Christmas and New Year's feasting.

NCASAUmp Wed Jan 06, 2010 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 648913)
Ouch, that hurts (and it was my first thought)
In my case, it was the Large items that I may soon have to give away!.

Last year I gave in and went from 36" waist to 38".
Did a game last weekend and even the 38"s were a little tight.
I'm blaming that on Christmas and New Year's feasting.

Unfortunately, since I quit smoking last year, I've gone from 205 lbs to 240 lbs. Fortunately, my pants had enough "breathing room" to still fit comfortably.

I've been able to keep from smoking (not a single cigarette since Jan 1 of last year), and my wife and I bought a home gym so that I can shed off those 35 lbs. If not, hey... Nothing wrong with gettin' strong.

HugoTafurst Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 648919)
Unfortunately, since I quit smoking last year, I've gone from 205 lbs to 240 lbs. Fortunately, my pants had enough "breathing room" to still fit comfortably.

I've been able to keep from smoking (not a single cigarette since Jan 1 of last year), and my wife and I bought a home gym so that I can shed off those 35 lbs. If not, hey... Nothing wrong with gettin' strong.

Smoking was a factor when I went from 185 to 205 - but that was 1503 days, 10 hrs and 37 minutes ago (but who's counting)

Now, its snuck up to 220 and rising!

Got to get it back down

Rich Ives Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05am

Quote:

Glasses got too heavy?

Any other suggestions?

They were probably "seconds" - shirts that didn't meet the manufacturers standards for retail sale.

Look around and you may see things like "Phillies - 2009 WS Champs" and such. Things like that get made up ahead of time so they're ready if needed. The "wrong" shirts get sent to clothing banks for distribution overseas.

Welpe Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 649137)
Look around and you may see things like "Phillies - 2009 WS Champs" and such. Things like that get made up ahead of time so they're ready if needed. The "wrong" shirts get sent to clothing banks for distribution overseas.

Which leads to the joke about there being a village where the elders pass down the story of the Buffalo Bills Dynasty of the early 90s.

ChampaignBlue Mon Jan 11, 2010 05:17am

Good answers all but I know I gave my uniforms to our association when I left to help out the youngsters just starting out.

I'm thinking maybe it was a new guy/gal that ruled the hands were part of the bat on their first night out and ....

wadeintothem Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 648919)

Hey keep it up. I did the same thing. Quit smoking, after about a year of not smoking (4-1-08), set to losing the weight. Lost nearly 48 lbs. Gained some back during this xmas though... lol

Skahtboi Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 650042)
Hey keep it up. I did the same thing. Quit smoking, after about a year of not smoking (4-1-08), set to losing the weight. Lost nearly 48 lbs. Gained some back during this xmas though... lol

I did about the same thing, though it was much longer time ago. Quit smoking in April of 98, packed on the pounds for the next few months, then when I was miserable enough with that, I started hitting the gym hard and heavy. Those know me can testify that for a while there, I was pretty rotund!

NCASAUmp Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:24pm

Quote:

Yeah, I'm definitely not giving up. Wife would be pissed! ;)

Even if I don't shed the pounds, at least I'll be the stronger for it... Literally!

Go ahead, coach... Come talk to me about that call. *Puffs chest like Popeye after a whole tub of spinach*

argodad Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42am

Quote:

Lost nearly 48 lbs.

Damn, Wade. That's a pretty precise scale you have. Was it 47.8 pounds? 47.9? ;)

NCASAUmp Tue Jan 12, 2010 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 650570)
Damn, Wade. That's a pretty precise scale you have. Was it 47.8 pounds? 47.9? ;)

Supposedly, my scale is accurate to within .2 pounds.

I'm still a bit of a fatty, though. :D