The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

TX TASO news

I almost feel like a trespasser on a forum for umpires, but...

What is the deal in TX about the lawsuit by TASO v. UIL? I meant, I knew a long time ago the current director of the UIL, and former UIL director of athletics, is a $%#^%$ (imho) but...what gives?
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
I almost feel like a trespasser on a forum for umpires, but...

What is the deal in TX about the lawsuit by TASO v. UIL? I meant, I knew a long time ago the current director of the UIL, and former UIL director of athletics, is a $%#^%$ (imho) but...what gives?
sixmanfootball.com - View topic - UIL votes to put all officials under its authority

Seems like it is just your everyday who-is-in-control pissing contest, Texas style.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

If you are really curious, Mike, I can message you or email you all the details. It is a lot more that just a pissing match for power though. After several decades, the UIL wants to usurp TASO, and manage all officials in Texas. This would allow them to become a power player in NFHS, as well as allow them to keep officials' pay, which is already low in this state, even lower. The UIL's vested interest are the member schools and their AD's, whereas TASO is an organization of sports officials working for sports officials, and trying to get them the best insurance, pay, and benefits allowable.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
If you are really curious, Mike, I can message you or email you all the details. It is a lot more that just a pissing match for power though. After several decades, the UIL wants to usurp TASO, and manage all officials in Texas. This would allow them to become a power player in NFHS, as well as allow them to keep officials' pay, which is already low in this state, even lower. The UIL's vested interest are the member schools and their AD's, whereas TASO is an organization of sports officials working for sports officials, and trying to get them the best insurance, pay, and benefits allowable.
I don't know, sounds like a pissing match to me?

Scott, not really interested in details, that pretty much gives me the picture. Of course, unless there is a signed contract in place, TASO really cannot do much to prevent UIL from controlling the officials of their game.

And TASO can simply prioritize sports outside of the UIL's purview. You will then see the development of another organization and they will work under the hand of the UIL. Unfortunately, members of some organizations do not understand their purpose and, like independent contractor they are, will go for the work today without thinking about tomorrow.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

It's not that TASO is a union but in my opinion this is akin to union busting. I feel it sets a dangerous precedent for other states. It doesn't take a Mensa member to know that the ADs don't have our best interest in mind when it comes to pay etc.
The basketball officials in my area have already "broke ranks" with TASO for some unknown reason. If I was an AD in another state and see Texas ADs busting down their officials organization I'd be tempted to do the same.
Ain't no way that I'm going under UIL. I don't do this for the money.
Cue up the Neil Young music, "Proud to be a union man, make those payments when I can..."

Last edited by PtotheB; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 03:44pm. Reason: Edited to correct the spelling of Mensa, of which I am obviously not a member.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I don't know about all other states, but in Georgia, there is no middle man like TASO. Our individual associations (chapters) that are chartered by GHSA register our officials directly with GHSA. It was that way, also, in New Jersey when I started there in the 70's and 80's, NJBUA (local association) chartered with NJSIAA (state governing body).

Just wondering, how is this organized in your other states; like Georgia, or like Texas?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I don't know about all other states, but in Georgia, there is no middle man like TASO. Our individual associations (chapters) that are chartered by GHSA register our officials directly with GHSA. It was that way, also, in New Jersey when I started there in the 70's and 80's, NJBUA (local association) chartered with NJSIAA (state governing body).

Just wondering, how is this organized in your other states; like Georgia, or like Texas?
Florida is similar to GA. FHSAA must charter all local HS associations. We have to renew our charter annually.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
Ain't no way that I'm going under UIL. I don't do this for the money.
I agree. I will probably do a lot more college ball instead, and then fill in the blanks with rec leagues...etc. There is plenty to keep me busy, so, if that is the way they want to play, then so be it.

The only problem is, of course, that there are many whose only reason for officiating IS for the money (you know, the "greens"), and they will go with whoever is paying. Will the officiating ranks in Texas be thinned out, and the level of competency go down? Without a doubt. And the UIL keeps saying that they are doing this with the student athlete in mind.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:07pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

In Delaware, the school organization is DIAA.

They contract with the local umpire organizations. Being so small, that is just two, one North, one South.

All officials get the same per game fee based upon the level of play (varsity/JV) regardless of the sport or number of officials designed.

The association is financed by the schools, but acts as the administrators for all HS sporting events including the officiating.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

From my understanding, Arizona is unique in that all officials that wish to work HS sports must register with and pay dues to the organization that oversees HS athletics, the Arizona Interscholastic Association.

This is required no matter what other organizations or groups you belong to. The AIA also provides mandatory training each year for officials of each sport. The AIA also assigns officials for each HS contest across the state and all playoff and state tournament games.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 01:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
From my understanding, Arizona is unique in that all officials that wish to work HS sports must register with and pay dues to the organization that oversees HS athletics, the Arizona Interscholastic Association.
There are quite a few states that do this.

Scott, the problem is also that there are a lot of officials that don't have much experience in calling high school ball and aren't exactly ready to stop. I am in that position as I've barely gotten started and there are quite a few of us whom I suspect either aren't going to really understand what is going on or are going to be caught in a lurch on this.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Scott, the problem is also that there are a lot of officials that don't have much experience in calling high school ball and aren't exactly ready to stop. I am in that position as I've barely gotten started and there are quite a few of us whom I suspect either aren't going to really understand what is going on or are going to be caught in a lurch on this.
You do have a point there! And I didn't mean to leave your group out in my previous post, as I have mentioned that same demographic many times in discussions regarding this topic.

I have been doing my best to keep newbies apprised of what is going on with this, through discussion, email...etc. If you have any questions about why so many grizzled and curmudgeondly vets like myself are against this, then please feel free to PM me.

Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

This is required no matter what other organizations or groups you belong to. The AIA also provides mandatory training each year for officials of each sport. The AIA also assigns officials for each HS contest across the state and all playoff and state tournament games.
If UIL succeeds in their current endeavor, Texas will be joining you, in all aspects except for the last. (Though who knows what they could be thinking of for the future.)

Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

No worries, I am more just expressing my frustration about the situation. PM sent.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
No worries, I am more just expressing my frustration about the situation. PM sent.
PM responded to in several parts!