The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Is this a physical assist? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/5522-physical-assist.html)

greymule Wed Jul 31, 2002 04:07pm

R1 on 3B, no outs. Fly ball to left. Coach slaps R1 on rear end as soon as F7 catches the ball. But R1 does not move and simply remains on 3B as the ball is returned to the infield.

What if the coach slaps F7 on the rear as the ball misses F7's glove and proceeds over the fence, and R1 doesn't move off 3B until several seconds later?

In either case, is the runner out for the coach's physical assist?

oppool Wed Jul 31, 2002 09:46pm

JMO

In both cases I dont see where the coach touching the runner assisted in anyway I would let it go and after the inning let the coach know not to do it again so I do not have to make that call against him for assisting

My thoughts

Don

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:22pm

<i>R1 on 3B, no outs. Fly ball to left. Coach slaps R1 on rear end as soon as F7 catches the ball. But R1 does not move and simply remains on 3B as the ball is returned to the infield.</i>

No violation here...........the coach did nothing that helped advance the runner.............

<i>What if the coach slaps F7 on the rear as the ball misses F7's glove and proceeds over the fence, and R1 doesn't move off 3B until several seconds later?

In either case, is the runner out for the coach's physical assist?</i>

I am assuming.........(I know what assuming can do) that y9u meant that the coach slapped R1 (the runner from 3rd).......I will give a 4 base award.........NO difference from your previous play..........

JMHO

Joel

bluezebra Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:57pm

"R1 on 3B, no outs. Fly ball to left. Coach slaps R1 on rear end as soon as F7 catches the ball. But R1 does not move and simply remains on 3B as the ball is returned to the infield."

But, if R3 takes off after the slap, that's assisting. And possibly a sexual harassment charge.

Bob

Del-Blue Thu Aug 01, 2002 05:43am

IMHO I would call that assisting, but would probably in these two cases, not call an out. I would at the end of the inning mention to the coach not to do that again .

Bob

bluezebra Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Del-Blue
IMHO I would call that assisting, but would probably in these two cases, not call an out. I would at the end of the inning mention to the coach not to do that again .

Bob

If you call it assisting, why would you not call an out?

Bob

greymule Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:21pm

I guess the philosophical question is, Are you assisting someone if the person does not do what you are trying to assist him in?

Suppose, on a fly ball to F9, a runner tags up at 3B, runs halfway down the line, and then decides to go back. The coach runs out into the baseline and tries to stop the runner from returning, but the runner simply bowls the coach over and returns to 3B, did the coach "commit" a physical assist?

Maybe Hegel dealt with this question somewhere. Anybody recall?

Del-Blue Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:39pm

bluezebra,

That is a very good question........ I guess it on the same lines as maybe I didn't really see what I just saw. You know like when a pitcher throws what you think is an illegal pitch, but you are not really sure. I'll watch her more closely and catch it next time. You are watching the catch and you just catch the slap out of the corner of you eye. I guess if I was watching a catch in left field I would have a good view of the coach on third and then would probably call it. I think HTBT to see if it warranted an out or Just a warning between innings.

Bob

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 01, 2002 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
R1 on 3B, no outs. Fly ball to left. Coach slaps R1 on rear end as soon as F7 catches the ball. But R1 does not move and simply remains on 3B as the ball is returned to the infield.

What if the coach slaps F7 on the rear as the ball misses F7's glove and proceeds over the fence, and R1 doesn't move off 3B until several seconds later?

In either case, is the runner out for the coach's physical assist?

Well, I might be the odd man out, but I am definitely ruling the runner out.

The coach's box is 8 feet from the base. The only possible reason (other than just being stupid) for the coach to move out of the coach's box and touch the runner would be to assist him/her.

The runner is out and the ball remains live.

2001 ASA Case Book, Play 8.8-19

R1 is on 3B when B5 hits a fly ball to deep CF. The CF is waiting for the ball when the 3B coach taps the leg of R! in an effort to tell him to advance. The ball is caught by the CF (a) after the tap by the coach, or (b) before th tap by the coach.

RULING: In both (a) and (b) B5 is out of the caught fly ball, R1 is out on runner assistance (8.8.E)