The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #106 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
2 - after a pitch has been thrown the umpire cannot correct the count on the batter, the last count "announced" must stand
I hope you obliged that coach. . .by announcing the count as 0-2 after the first pitch to each batter.

Last edited by celebur; Wed Oct 28, 2009 at 01:47pm.
Reply With Quote
  #107 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in TX, formerly Seattle area
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
7th grade game last night. Second pitcher for H is wearing a school sweatshirt over her uniform that's some kind of neonish green -- not close enough to the ball to really be a problem for somebody throwing as slow as she was.
She pitches for an inning and a half and then gets replaced with pitcher number three. Next inning pitcher three gets pulled for pitcher 4. Next inning before the inning starts V coach wanders up to me.
C: See that girl out at 3b. She was pitching a couple of innings ago and that sweatshirt is kind of the color of the ball and my players were having trouble picking it up.
Me: Okay. I guess it is kind of close.
C: Yeah, they were having trouble picking up the ball. And it's really not her uniform.
Me: Okay, well if they decide to have her pitch again, come remind me and I'll see if it's a problem.

Coach wanders off.

Not sure what she wanted me to do at that point.
If it is the "H" pitcher I am thinking of, they didn't have any trouble picking up the ball on any of the four pitches each batter saw.
__________________
John
An ucking fidiot
Reply With Quote
  #108 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
If it is the "H" pitcher I am thinking of, they didn't have any trouble picking up the ball on any of the four pitches each batter saw.
*snicker**
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #109 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 06:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Texas
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
I hope you obliged that coach. . .by announcing the count as 0-2 after the first pitch to each batter.
didnt think of that!
Reply With Quote
  #110 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 440
This weekend on another field a coach told one of our crew that the 10 after 3 run rule was only in effect in the 3rd inning and since it was the 4th it didn't count. Of course he was explaining this as the crew was walking off the field, to go change.
__________________
Bill Hohn is the MAN!!
Reply With Quote
  #111 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
This weekend on another field a coach told one of our crew that the 10 after 3 run rule was only in effect in the 3rd inning and since it was the 4th it didn't count. Of course he was explaining this as the crew was walking off the field, to go change.
Similar Story - Men's FP National, 12 after 3 run rule, visting team scores a couple of runs with one out in the top of the fourth to go ahead by 12 runs. The team starts filing out of the dugout to shake hands with the other team...That's it, right blue? We're up by 12 and it's after the 3rd inning....

I calmly explained that the home team would still get their chance to bat in the bottom of the fourth....
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #112 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 03:53pm
Ref Ump Welsch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Similar Story - Men's FP National, 12 after 3 run rule, visting team scores a couple of runs with one out in the top of the fourth to go ahead by 12 runs. The team starts filing out of the dugout to shake hands with the other team...That's it, right blue? We're up by 12 and it's after the 3rd inning....

I calmly explained that the home team would still get their chance to bat in the bottom of the fourth....
Happens all the time in rec ball. Even had it happen in men's travel SP ball once...an USSSA NIT. That about floored me.
Reply With Quote
  #113 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Texas
Posts: 427
referring to an illegal pitch call:

"Come on blue. If the other coach ain't hollering then it aint illegal."
Reply With Quote
  #114 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 04:56pm
Ref Ump Welsch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
referring to an illegal pitch call:

"Come on blue. If the other coach ain't hollering then it aint illegal."
I had to have a colleague give me an eye exam to make sure I read that right. Wow.
Reply With Quote
  #115 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Desoto, TX
Posts: 254
A batter 'has to get out of the way' of a pitched ball in order for a HbP award to be considered.

catch 22
Reply With Quote
  #116 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,424
We're missing a lot of rules, here are some interesting variations:

New Rules I learned

__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #117 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
We're missing a lot of rules, here are some interesting variations:

New Rules I learned

Things change.. but they all stay the same...
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #118 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,340
I learned last night that if the runner is "leaning" back toward 3rd base even though she hasnt moved her feet she has made her decision as to which way she is going and cant be called out for a look back violation.
Reply With Quote
  #119 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 440
My last tournament, I learned, again, that the plate umpire can overide any call by the base umpire. The fans were adamant on this point, the correct call by the base umpire not withstanding.
__________________
Just Tryin' to Learn...
Reply With Quote
  #120 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 30, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
My last tournament, I learned, again, that the plate umpire can overide any call by the base umpire. The fans were adamant on this point, the correct call by the base umpire not withstanding.
Didn't happen to be a team from Western PA with a minister/NSA umpire as their head coach, was it?

If so, one of mine already got this guy at the 18U Eastern Nationals. Did you know that you cannot eject a minister from a softball game?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fall Ball Sportsmanship stmaryrams Baseball 33 Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:08pm
A Season on the Brink... Fall Ball TussAgee11 Baseball 16 Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:20pm
Fall ball Hoosier_Dave Softball 28 Tue Aug 29, 2006 09:52am
Fall Ball ASA/NYSSOBLUE Softball 7 Mon Sep 12, 2005 08:47pm
New Rules I learned scottk_61 Softball 10 Tue Jul 20, 2004 01:52pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1