The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Signaling number of outs (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54747-signaling-number-outs.html)

NCASAUmp Thu Sep 24, 2009 08:16am

Signaling number of outs

If a player or coach requests the number of outs, how do you signal it? On your right hand? Left hand?

What if there is no scoreboard, and you periodically give the number of outs? Both hands? Up high? To your sides? Does it change if you're behind the plate or on the bases?

Kind of a mundane detail, I know... But one that's never talked about. At least, not at any clinic or NUS I've ever been to. :)

Andy Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:35am

I have been taught not to give the number of outs unless asked. Then, I usually just respond verbally.

If I do signal, it's with whichever hand is more convenient and with consecutive fingers. In other words, two outs is never indicated with the index finger and the pinkie finger like the players like to do it.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 627231)
In other words, two outs is never indicated with the index finger and the pinkie finger like the players like to do it.

Much to the dismay of Longhorne fans! :rolleyes:

Dholloway1962 Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 627233)
Much to the dismay of Longhorne fans! :rolleyes:

And much to the delight of Sooner fans!!:D

NCASAUmp Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 627237)

And a few metalheads. :)

If I'm behind the plate, I signal it with the same hand I use to hold up the pitch, depending on which batter's box the batter is in. If no batter, I use the left hand. Out on the bases, I signal with my left hand to infielders, and both hands if I have to tell the outfield.

I've thought about showing the number of outs with my right hand, since that's the hand to signal an out.

Very, VERY mundane detail, but that's what we're here for - to nail down the little things! :)

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 627237)

And Husker fans...actually, the entire Big XII. :D

Skahtboi Fri Sep 25, 2009 01:12pm

I never signal the number of outs. If a coach or a player asks, then I will verbally tell them.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 25, 2009 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 627245)
And Husker fans...actually, the entire Big XII. :D

Or the whole damn country!!!

SergioJ Fri Oct 09, 2009 05:30am

Alright, enough with the Longhorns bashing!

Hook 'Em Horns!!

Serg

BuggBob Fri Oct 09, 2009 08:29am

When asked I will signal the number of outs with both a verbal (Zero, one or two OUTS, not down or dead -- they're called outs) and with my right hand high over my head. I will signal my partner with a less obvious signal with my right hand on my thigh no verbal.

wadeintothem Fri Oct 09, 2009 09:05am

If I am asked the number of outs I will tell em that the Longhorns suck, only surpassed in suck by the Aggies, and Texas football as a whole is overrated.
Then I'll just verbally give them the outs.

Skahtboi Fri Oct 09, 2009 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 629846)
If I am asked the number of outs I will tell em that the Longhorns suck, only surpassed in suck by the Aggies, and Texas football as a whole is overrated.
Then I'll just verbally give them the outs.

Yeah...we all know the SEC is where the real powerhouses are! :cool: