The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   fielders yelling (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54498-fielders-yelling.html)

steveshane67 Mon Aug 31, 2009 09:38pm

fielders yelling

in ASA SP game, are fielders allowed to yell mid pitch, stuff like "there it is" "swing" ..... also, are runners/bench ppl allowed to yell when a fielder is about to make a catch on a popup/flyball?

wadeintothem Tue Sep 01, 2009 01:16am

IMO, the better question is.. are they prohibited from doing so?

7in60 Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveshane67 (Post 623176)
in ASA SP game, are fielders allowed to yell mid pitch, stuff like "there it is" "swing"

It is unsportsmanlike and as an umpire I would put an end to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveshane67 (Post 623176)
also, are runners/bench ppl allowed to yell when a fielder is about to make a catch on a popup/flyball?

Interference is the act of an offensive player impeding the ability of a defensive player to make a play. It can be physical or vocal.

NCASAUmp Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 623208)

Yes, under the category of unsportsmanlike conduct. Take the extreme of the team at bat screaming loudly when the pitcher is about to make his delivery. If it's obvious the intent is to throw off the pitcher, yes, it's unsportsmanlike. If it's just a little bit of noise, I'd let it go.

I had a game not too long ago where on the pitcher's backswing, one guy in the dugout suddenly broke a near dead silence by screaming, "let's go, Mike!" The pitcher, who was obviously inexperienced in a C league game, stopped his delivery. Technically, an IP, but I'm not calling that one. I called time and told the guy in the dugout to knock off the crap or somebody's going to the parking lot early.

It's a tough line to draw, as it becomes an issue of managing the game versus managing individuals. Is it picking nits? Depends on where you draw the line.

There's a major difference between cheering for your team and being an a$$hole. The guy in the above example was clearly being the latter, so that's when I step in.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

in ASA SP game, are fielders allowed to yell mid pitch, stuff like "there it is" "swing"

ASA 6FP.5.B
ASA 6MP.5.B
ASA 6SP.4.B
ASA 6SP16".4.B

A fielder shall not take a position in the batter's line of vision or, with deliberate unsportsmanlike intent, act in a manner to distract the batter. A pitch does not have to be released
EFFECT: The offending player shall be ejected from the game.

wadeintothem Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 623257)
Yes, under the category of unsportsmanlike conduct.

Exactly - all USC is an ejectable offense. (ie extreme)

So is a left fielder yelling swing.. USC. What about a shortstop?

I say no. In fact, i could handle it when I was a 10 y/o playing LL...."swing batta batta"

NCASAUmp Tue Sep 01, 2009 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 623276)
Exactly - all USC is an ejectable offense. (ie extreme)

So is a left fielder yelling swing.. USC. What about a shortstop?

I say no. In fact, i could handle it when I was a 10 y/o playing LL...."swing batta batta"

Again, it all depends on the judgment of the umpire, taking into consideration the level of play and the circumstances of the act. Was it dead quiet beforehand? Was it from 200 feet away in the outfield or 30 feet away in the dugout? Was it loud? Not so much? What did the player being yelled at do as a response? Flinch? Duck? Drive the ball 350' over the fence? Was it in the bottom of the 7th with bases loaded and two outs?

Yes, some players handle it better than others, but that doesn't make the act any less unsportsmanlike.

steveshane67 Tue Sep 01, 2009 02:10pm

thanks for all the replies.

my thoughts were exactly what most ppl said, I was unsure if there was something explicitly written in the rule book, I couldnt find anything, hence the post.

steveshane67 Tue Sep 01, 2009 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 623208)

Is there a rule prohibiting me from taking a dump on 1B? I understand your logic, and it would be great if this we were talking about legalese or an "expertly" written document.

ronald Tue Sep 01, 2009 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 623283)
Yes, some players handle it better than others, but that doesn't make the act any less unsportsmanlike.

If i could get a dollar from everyone who understood this, I'd be a millionaire.:):)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 01, 2009 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 623314)
If i could get a dollar from everyone who understood this, I'd be a millionaire.:):)

In today's world, you might make more money getting a quarter from everyone who doesn't understand this!:rolleyes:

ronald Tue Sep 01, 2009 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 623317)
In today's world, you might make more money getting a quarter from everyone who doesn't understand this!:rolleyes:

and that is why the world is so screwed up now.

wadeintothem Tue Sep 01, 2009 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveshane67 (Post 623295)
Is there a rule prohibiting me from taking a dump on 1B? I understand your logic, and it would be great if this we were talking about legalese or an "expertly" written document.

Sure, thats obviously an unsportsmanlike (and btw, illegal) act, so that would not be in the same realm as your op.

Unless you are actually contending taking a dump in middle of a game field compares to a RF yelling swing.\\
Which.. if you think it compares, why even ask?

IMO, this is a common sense thing and ASA conveys that with they way they wrote the rule.

If its less/minor, it is over looked. Unless it rises to the level of USC, it is nothing.

chymechowder Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:37pm

somewhat along these lines, have you ever had hitters complain about fielders moving while the pitch is in the air?

only thing I can find close (in USSSA) is the prohibition against trying to get in the batter's line of sight. like a kamikaze 3B can't go running down the line and cut in front of the plate just before the swing.

but i've had a couple batters protest about infielders cheating left or right while the pitch is on the way. anything to this?

wadeintothem Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:01am

They run into enough OOO umps that they will try anything I guess. :cool: