The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Pre-game meeting with partner -- looking for sources (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54430-pre-game-meeting-partner-looking-sources.html)

referee99 Tue Aug 25, 2009 03:37pm

Pre-game meeting with partner -- looking for sources

Can anyone point me towards a printed pre-game for 2-person?
Fast pitch, slow pitch are ok

I can find about a million and one basketball pre-games, but am having trouble sourcing a softball one.

NCASAUmp Tue Aug 25, 2009 03:51pm

I usually just cover the basics:

1 - Ask them if they ever go out on a fly ball, and if so, what do they yell?
2 - Go over tag-up coverage
3 - Go over who has which bases, and when (trailing runner, etc).
4 - Ask them how they want to handle swipe tags or tags to the body on the BR (front vs. back).
5 - Remind your partner that you'll do your best to help them if they're in trouble.

No two pre-games are ever going to be the same. Some umps NEVER go out in a 2-ump system, and some do. Some umps don't move very well to take the trailing runner into 3B on a triple with no runners on base. You just need to find out what to expect from your partner during the course of a game, what kind of style they have, and that's what the pre-game is meant to do.

Dakota Tue Aug 25, 2009 05:55pm

Since you asked for a pre-printed list, this is from the ASA Umpire Manual, page 229:

Quote:

PRE-GAME WITH PARTNERS
The purpose of this meeting is to get the umpire crew on the “same page” for the game. The Plate umpire should conduct this conference and encourage other crew members to participate. Do not use this conference to deviate from mechanics in this Manual.
The pre-game conference should include the following topics:
A. New Rules
B. Fly Ball Coverage
C. Tag Up Responsibilities
D. Umpire to Umpire signals
E. Requesting help from your partner.
1. Check Swing
2. Appeal to wrong umpire
3. Request for information
NOTE. The umpire responsible for the call asks their partner for information and announces
the decision after the conference is concluded.
F. Special Rules
1. Time Limit
2. Run - Ahead Rule
3. Tiebreaker procedure (Fast Pitch only)
G. Managing Umpire to Coach/Manager discussions and Ejections
1. Partners should insure discussion is “one-on-one”.
2. Partners take control of removing ejected players.
H. Special situations or team specific tendencies including:
1. Team Speed
2. Bunting and Slapping
3. Is it a rivalry game?
4. Is there ‘bad blood’ between these two teams?
I. Entering and exiting the field.
1. Always enter together
2. Exit together on side of ‘least resistance’

Steve M Tue Aug 25, 2009 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 622295)
Can anyone point me towards a printed pre-game for 2-person?
Fast pitch, slow pitch are ok

I can find about a million and one basketball pre-games, but am having trouble sourcing a softball one.

Part of that depends on what level - when you expect to arrive and when you expect your partner to arrive. So many times for high scholl ball, aI see a partner showing up 15 minutes before game time. In summer ball, it's often worse - except for when we travel to a tournament as we'll have a pre-game the night before it starts - since there are 3 or 4 of us to a field. Another couple of groups are different - we may have as much as a 45-minute pre-game, during which we'll cover the items Tom listed and more. For now, go with the list that Tom posted from the ASA book - which is just about always a good starting point.

Skahtboi Wed Aug 26, 2009 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 622328)
Part of that depends on what level - when you expect to arrive and when you expect your partner to arrive. So many times for high scholl ball, aI see a partner showing up 15 minutes before game time. In summer ball, it's often worse - except for when we travel to a tournament as we'll have a pre-game the night before it starts - since there are 3 or 4 of us to a field. Another couple of groups are different - we may have as much as a 45-minute pre-game, during which we'll cover the items Tom listed and more. For now, go with the list that Tom posted from the ASA book - which is just about always a good starting point.

In HS, if my partner shows up 15 minutes before game time, he darn sure better be ready to go because he will have to catch me on my way to the field to check equipment...etc.

Steve M Wed Aug 26, 2009 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 622397)
In HS, if my partner shows up 15 minutes before game time, he darn sure better be ready to go because he will have to catch me on my way to the field to check equipment...etc.

Scott,
You've probably got some of the same type in your area - I suspect every area has them.

Skahtboi Thu Aug 27, 2009 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 622474)
Scott,
You've probably got some of the same type in your area - I suspect every area has them.

Oh yeah...we have them. Am I patient with them? No.