The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA vs. ASA Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54401-ncaa-vs-asa-mechanics.html)

luvthegame Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55am

WOW!!! Kinda makes sense!!

Kinda....

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestviewofall (Post 623201)
I disagree. With knowledge of the potential plays ahead, along with the knowledge of what routes need to be used to get to those plays (easily), an umpire can see all of the elements at the same time and be well ahead of the play with little effort.

Again, not possible. Think about it. A BU coming off the line at 1B is not going to be able to see a ball in the outfield and a BR approaching 1B or the base, at the same time without standing in foul territory. If the BU is standing in foul territory, s/he will never be in position to make a call at 2B should that BR continue. Even the guy with in the blue tights and red cape isn't going to get there.

My argument isn't with the particular mechanic, but the selling point that you noted above. Don't tell me that coming inside makes me more susceptible to missing part of the play, as it does not.

Quote:

I cannot put any importance on any one element. Without getting specific, I believe that seeing the whole field at the same time allows me the latitude to make informed decisions as the play develops. I don't rely on any person (defense or offense) to solely tell me where to go or more importantly, where I don't need to go.
And if that works for you, great. However, I would still like to know how you can see a BR in foul territory and a ball at the fence in center field at the same time. The only people I know that had eyes in the back of their head were my parents and teachers and I don't believe you are either. :D

It isn't just one person, but everyone which will clue you in, but you know that. People act like coming inside means you don't see the play develop and that just isn't so. As Darrell noted, while coming inside, you can observe where the ball is going, the fielders in the vicinity, the fielder most likely to get the ball and make a throw. Even listening to the coach's direction to the runner may help.

Though not often included in standard training, we work between pitches. All information is helpful. Always peek at the OF between pitches; listen to the chatter & direction to players; find out who is covering a base; and constantly am adjusting my position based upon fielder movement, batter's abilities and situation. But this is something that we all do to some level.

Quote:

Is this a comment on the ASA training and advancement of umpires in the ASA ranks? Be careful, many of us believe that ASA does a fantastic job of training officials and choosing those who are qualified to work at the national level.
Actually, he worked HS ball in the area. Don't know who trained him, but have a feeling I was sent a few umpires who never went to a school.

Quote:

Smokey
Still learnin'
We all are. Any umpire who thinks they know everything there is and never learns anything isn't going to be a good umpire for long. After all, isn't that what most of these discussions are about?